1970 Sport Fury GT: How Many Survived?

Rare as hens teeth, some lucky stiff found another black GT and took it home. Was it billy himself? This pic is pulled from sportfuryGTdotcom as well. This TX9 black GT with black interior, looks like it has the bucket seat head rests which means possibly a console too, and whats left of the white strobe visible on the front fender. She’s Well worn, but seemingly complete and in REALLY nice condition

– OMFG I’m soooo jealous! And I Love the old school 5-hole slotted ”mag” wheel rims.
billy fury takes home a prize.jpg

C'monnnn, how cool would you be rumbling down the boulevard at a slow prowl… Booker T and the MG’s’ “Green Onions” playin loud on the 8 track while you’re mugging for the chicas from inside this beast… ahuuh, ahuuh, I know ya thinkin bout it! Lol

Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals, July 16, 2000. Y28 public relations 440-6, build date 8/11/69. Is this "The Rod"?
the rod.jpg

Also Posted on billyfury's website is this nice burnt orange GT -black interior(?)and black strobe stripe, black boar grain(?) vinyl roof...
GT burnt orange w blk intr.jpg

thats alotta nice GT fury's billy!

There are details listed for 6 more “GT’s” posted in various sources.

These cars have no pictures, and don’t appear to be any of the cars listed so far.

The mystery 6 are:

VIN# : PH23TOF183644; Lime Green Metallic w/ White top, #’s match 440-4BBL

Owner : Russ Toalson Location : Mexico MO

No info on condition

VIN# : PH23TOD1569481970; Lime Green Metallic, Boar grain top #’s matching 440-4BBL

Owner : Rex V. Poe Location : Decatur, Illinois

No info on what condition its in

[1] PH23TOF143308 ? Yellow/black, black strobe stripes, V1L champagne top, column shift, bench seat, 3:23 S/G, #,s matching! needs resto.

END
M25 M26 M31 P45 R11 V6X
V1L A01 A04 A52 L31 L42
DY2 H4XA TX9 A15 185387
E85 D32 PH23 TOF 143308

[1] PH23TOD125649 red/black, black strobe stripes, black vinyl top, original car needing resto, #,s matching

L31 M25 M31 R11 S62 VO1
VIX AO1 AO4 A52 C16 C55
ER6 H6XA TX9 916 067 529
E85 D32 PH23TOD125649

[2] PH23TOD138349 blue/blue, white strobe stripes, white vinyl top, H/D disc brakes, 3:23 S/G,no eng/trans, needs total resto

V01 26 END
G11 H51 L31 M25 M31 R11
V1W A01 A52 B11 C16 C55
EB5 H6B3 EB5 A15 OO1242
E85 D32 PH23 TOD 138349

PH23TOD310*** Original Black/Black car with white strobe stripes, black vinyl top, console shift, bucket seats,

#s matching, 440/727HD, Needs restoration

M31 R35 V01 Y05 Y14 26
V1X A52 C16 C55 H51 M25
TX9 H6XA TX9 724 406134
E85 D32 PH23 T0D 310***

View attachment 94774
This is a nice alpine white GT photographed in 1999 owner is "Rich" according to the flickr photo caption –don’t know where this was taken, and I can’t make out the state on the Lic plate. I don’t think its a billy fury because his has the white strobe stripe. In addition, look close and this is another with the stubby wheel centers.

That is an Ontario plate.

Just to be "thorough" we also have 6 more GT's listed with pics from the registry:

registry WI  440-4 john modi.jpg

a 440-4 in WI

registry SC 440-4 greg ficklin.jpg

440-4 in SC

registry NJ 440-4 russ burrows.jpg
440-4 in NJ

registry NJ 440-4 mike lundin.jpg

The other 440-4 in NJ -badly in need of resto.

registry Lomita CA 440-4 GT doug baird.jpg
The Lomita California 440-4

registry PA the rod jake holloway.jpg

The 440-4 in PA. Is this the one at the July 2000 Carlisle show? Can't tell if thats a green vinyl top or a black one.

15 you say... Oh i may have found them... at least 13 more not including the V-codes.

As for the mythical V code cars...

Member fury-pursuit has filled us in on the latest to appear "in the flesh" at this years Carlisle Chrysler Nats. Its a real beauty. Its been captured and posted to the internet:
A V CODE ii.JPG

engine detail.JPG

july 2016.JPG

He said it was "Dave's" car...
Hard to say which of the 11 that is...
could it be V code #131347 ? It was reportedly a blue/blue car with white strobe and no vinyl roof…could this be that one now restored?

Or maybe it was the “Canadian” v code car? All I know about V code car #243795 (last known to be in Canada) is that it was B7 blue –and was living in Canada…
Don't know who/which member "Dave" is, so only "the membership" knows.

We, of course, know about the infamous half-a-fury TX9 black currently in restoration, and Dan's v-code yellow promo car -with the brougham trim package- currently for sale.
There is also the ice blue v-code in the registry, last known owner Dan Pausch.

The rest remain in hiding... a jealously guarded secret... No pictures that I know of. Some in storage, the rest in resto according to member fury pursuit.

Next up: the GTs that were sent off-world... Canada, New Zealand, and Europe. Stay tuned.

This one a GT? I’m sure it must have been spotted by a member an posted here on the website already, but here it is again.
View attachment 94763
On the Craigs list in sparks Nevada, 2014, I seem to recall the seller ID'd it as a GT and wanted 14k for it. It was in nice condition save the paint job –interior is great, everything works, it even still had the dual chrome exhaust tips. I like the original color too. –did it sell? Fate unknown.
Here is one of the original threads on this one. Can't find the "color controversy" thread which I think had more detail regarding the car.

Another 1970 Sport Fury GT

I know a guy who knows a guy that has one here in the Detroit area. It has been in the current owners possession for no less than 10 years and will likely stay with him and off the radar. I hope to see it sometime, we'll see. I do know that it's Lemon Twist and white everywhere else, has its original drivetrain and has just about every option but the hole in the roof he says. He also states that it's driver quality but it doesn't get driven much at all anymore.

Now, THIS GT has many photos all over the internet, taken from/appearing in several locations, and its even featured on a web page about the GT.
I identified all of them as this same car by virtue of the distinctive registration stack going up the driver side windshield. Regardless, its quite a handsome example of the GT in gold.
View attachment 94773

Owner had better watch out, someone out there is gunning for Gold GT's!

that Y4 GT with V1G Gator roof was mine from 2006-2010. I sold it to a close friend of mine. Unfortunatly he got hit by a 62 Fury at a car show. So there must be something about gold cars having a though life.

Carsten

there are some SFGT around in europe.

Antonello hast a EW1 white one down in Italy
There is an FT8 brown one up in norway (was from washington state)
There is another EW1 one in sweden (can be seen in the registry, too came from Nebraska in the 90s)
There is a EB3 light blue met one in sweden, also in the registry, came from PA)

Finally:
I have currently a ER6 red one

Carsten

They are, a few like Matts friend, a few that have been forgotten in garages and more out there off the grid
I'm thinking that there are a lot of guys with collections of cars that are completely off the grid and have no desire to have thier stuff known by anybody. I know of at least 5 or 6 guys like that.

exspecially C-bodys which didn't have a major following in the early years might have some cars stored away unknown.

They might see the public when the longtime owners pass or decide to thin out their collections

Back