For Sale 1971 Sport Fury GT rare color $35K

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx,,was drivein me batty tryin to figure out which GT it was..welcome to the site enjoy.

FYI, The 16 slot road wheels were optional on the '71 Sport Fury GT.

I used to own the highest option '71 GT known so I know a few things about these cars.

Anyone notice that the car has a manual side view mirror. Except for the bucket seat option and vinyl top, this car is pretty much a low option car.

No body has addressed the interior on this car. Everything is wrong and some items have had hideous things done to them. The left side dash bezel is even incorrect and not original to the car. The interior essentially needs a total gut and do over. Anyone have a black set of '71 Sport Fury door panels and matching rear panels? This car needs them. I estimate the cost to redo the interior correctly is going to cost at least $5k. I can't believe that no one has posted photos of the interior or the painted heater box under the hood or the loose gutter and window trim and....

I have all the photos that you are talking about. I took them for a client when I did a PPI inspection.

Maybe he will post some?

It's worth noting that I have done a thorough inspection on the 71 GT in question.

I'll answer questions for any seriously interested parties.

The seller has decided not to sell the car. His daughter wants to keep the car in remembrance of her late grandfather.

They weren't working for me either ...I was going to post the photo. So I went to google and they wouldn't work through Google either

IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG

Originally a New Jersey car correct Bill?

Dave, great memory. I bought the car from a guy in Ridgewood, NJ. This GT had been through several owners but the person I bought it from in the mid 1990's had owned for many years and was using it as a daily driver until I bought it. As a daily driver it was exposed to the elements and road salt.

Going by memory, this is how the car was equipped:

B7 blue, white vinyl top and white stripe.
White Brougham bucket seat interior.
Console
Sure grip
A/C
Cruise
Disc brakes
Rear Defogger
Headlamp washers
3 speed wipers
AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers and fader
Power Windows
Remote drivers side mirror and matching right door mirror

From the 2005 eBay auction:

You are bidding on a 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT. Only 375 GT's were produced in 1971 and this car is likely one of one due to the number of options that this car was built with.

Please read the entire auction and ask any questions before you bid.

All GT's in 1971 came with a 370 hp 440 cu engine, 727 automatic transmission, power disc brakes, power steering and a 3.23 geared 8 3/4 rear end. This GT was ordered in B7 blue with a white vinyl top, white GT stripes and a deluxe white bucket seat interior with console. The significant options ordered on this car are; A/C (works but needs a charge), Cruise Control (not working), Power Windows (all worked when I bought the car but the right side windows no longer work - I suspect the contacts need cleaning), Headlamp Washers (not working but will with some TLC), Lights Package, AM/FM Multiplex Stereo with 4 speakers and fader switch (works), Rear Defogger (works), 3 Speed Wipers, Left Remote Mirror and Matching Right Mirror. This car is also wearing the optional chrome road wheels.

I decoded the fender tag as best as I could as follows:

V01 - Mono Tone Paint

Y14 - Sold Car

L31 - Fender Turn Signals

M25 - Wide Sill Moldings

M31 - Belt Moldings

P31 - Power Windows

R35 - AM/FM Multiplex Radio

C55 - Bucket Seats

G11 - Tinted Glass

G33 - Left Remote Mirror

H51 - Air Conditioning

J25 - 3 Speed Wipers

L25 - Trunk Light

V1W - White Vinyl Roof

U - Car built for USA

A01 - Light Package

A94 - Unknown Package (likely GT Stripe Package)

B41 - Power Disc Brakes

C16 - Console

GB7 - Evening Blue Metallic Paint

H6XW - White Interior Trim

000 - Interior Paint (Black)

C08 - December 8, 1970 Build Date

195289 - Vehicle Order Number

E86 - 440 - 370 hp

D32 - 727 Automatic Transmission

The VIN Number decodes as follows:

P - Plymouth

P - Premium (Sport Fury GT in 1971)

23 - 2 door hardtop

U - 440 HP

1 - 1971

D - Belvedere Assembly Plant

This car needs to be restored. It will start up fine (sometimes requires a jump) and runs strong with strong oil pressure. I purchased this car early in 1995 and have never registered the car and have only driven it on the road a few times. This car will need to be trailered as either a rear wheel brake cylinder or a hose or line let go resulting in the car only having front brakes. The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner many years ago. Regrettably, I cannot find my notes on what was done to the engine but I do recall that it is was rebuilt for a long life, was bored 0.30 over and has a high volume oil pump. I recall that the heads were redone approx. 40,000 miles ago. The car has either 187,000 miles or 287,000 miles. I can't recall how many miles the previous owner told me that the car had. The engine was represented as being numbers matching when I bought the car (I have never checked) and the transmission is not numbers matching. As for the mechanical parts of the car, other than the brake issue and some seeping gaskets, I am not aware of any other mechanical problems except that some of the electrical connectors under the hood should be cleaned and checked. The cooling system was completely flushed last fall and a new NOS A/C water valve was installed under the hood as the old one was leaking. I believe that the car has a sure-grip but cannot state that for certain.

The seats will need to be recovered, the driver's door panel has a small slit on the top, the door pulls are cracked, the dash pad is cracked but the rest of the interior is OK. The headliner has one very small hole near the rearview mirror. The photos reflect the condition of the interior. The interior will need to be restored. The console does not have any cracks. The turn signal switch is bad as it will not stay on in one position and the steering wheel is a cheap aftermarket item. There is no carpet in the car.

The photos depict that the body needs to be restored. There is rust under the vinyl top around the windshield, on the A pillars and C pillars and some around the rear window. The floors need to be repaired, including the trunk floor. The car needs to have the quarter panels replaced or repaired and the front fenders need to be repaired or replaced. The trunk lid needs to be replaced. The left front sub-frame rail also needs to be repaired and the left fender extension needs to be replaced. The windshield is cracked. I took a lot of photos and have done my best to achieve full disclosure. I have additional photos of some areas of the car but reached the ebay limit for photos.

Last edited:
The good news is that my former GT is currently owned by someone who will restore it to better than factory condition.

From the 2005 eBay auction:

You are bidding on a 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury GT. Only 375 GT's were produced in 1971 and this car is likely one of one due to the number of options that this car was built with.

Please read the entire auction and ask any questions before you bid.

All GT's in 1971 came with a 370 hp 440 cu engine, 727 automatic transmission, power disc brakes, power steering and a 3.23 geared 8 3/4 rear end. This GT was ordered in B7 blue with a white vinyl top, white GT stripes and a deluxe white bucket seat interior with console. The significant options ordered on this car are; A/C (works but needs a charge), Cruise Control (not working), Power Windows (all worked when I bought the car but the right side windows no longer work - I suspect the contacts need cleaning), Headlamp Washers (not working but will with some TLC), Lights Package, AM/FM Multiplex Stereo with 4 speakers and fader switch (works), Rear Defogger (works), 3 Speed Wipers, Left Remote Mirror and Matching Right Mirror. This car is also wearing the optional chrome road wheels.

I decoded the fender tag as best as I could as follows:

V01 - Mono Tone Paint

Y14 - Sold Car

L31 - Fender Turn Signals

M25 - Wide Sill Moldings

M31 - Belt Moldings

P31 - Power Windows

R35 - AM/FM Multiplex Radio

C55 - Bucket Seats

G11 - Tinted Glass

G33 - Left Remote Mirror

H51 - Air Conditioning

J25 - 3 Speed Wipers

L25 - Trunk Light

V1W - White Vinyl Roof

U - Car built for USA

A01 - Light Package

A94 - Unknown Package (likely GT Stripe Package)

B41 - Power Disc Brakes

C16 - Console

GB7 - Evening Blue Metallic Paint

H6XW - White Interior Trim

000 - Interior Paint (Black)

C08 - December 8, 1970 Build Date

195289 - Vehicle Order Number

E86 - 440 - 370 hp

D32 - 727 Automatic Transmission

The VIN Number decodes as follows:

P - Plymouth

P - Premium (Sport Fury GT in 1971)

23 - 2 door hardtop

U - 440 HP

1 - 1971

D - Belvedere Assembly Plant

This car needs to be restored. It will start up fine (sometimes requires a jump) and runs strong with strong oil pressure. I purchased this car early in 1995 and have never registered the car and have only driven it on the road a few times. This car will need to be trailered as either a rear wheel brake cylinder or a hose or line let go resulting in the car only having front brakes. The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner many years ago. Regrettably, I cannot find my notes on what was done to the engine but I do recall that it is was rebuilt for a long life, was bored 0.30 over and has a high volume oil pump. I recall that the heads were redone approx. 40,000 miles ago. The car has either 187,000 miles or 287,000 miles. I can't recall how many miles the previous owner told me that the car had. The engine was represented as being numbers matching when I bought the car (I have never checked) and the transmission is not numbers matching. As for the mechanical parts of the car, other than the brake issue and some seeping gaskets, I am not aware of any other mechanical problems except that some of the electrical connectors under the hood should be cleaned and checked. The cooling system was completely flushed last fall and a new NOS A/C water valve was installed under the hood as the old one was leaking. I believe that the car has a sure-grip but cannot state that for certain.

The seats will need to be recovered, the driver's door panel has a small slit on the top, the door pulls are cracked, the dash pad is cracked but the rest of the interior is OK. The headliner has one very small hole near the rearview mirror. The photos reflect the condition of the interior. The interior will need to be restored. The console does not have any cracks. The turn signal switch is bad as it will not stay on in one position and the steering wheel is a cheap aftermarket item. There is no carpet in the car.

The photos depict that the body needs to be restored. There is rust under the vinyl top around the windshield, on the A pillars and C pillars and some around the rear window. The floors need to be repaired, including the trunk floor. The car needs to have the quarter panels replaced or repaired and the front fenders need to be repaired or replaced. The trunk lid needs to be replaced. The left front sub-frame rail also needs to be repaired and the left fender extension needs to be replaced. The windshield is cracked. I took a lot of photos and have done my best to achieve full disclosure. I have additional photos of some areas of the car but reached the ebay limit for photos.

..........................................................................................................................
There was one for sale (71 blue / white GT )on ebay.......
In my memory 8 years ago but time go,s fast so maybe it,s this car......
I saw it in the morning when it was just advertised and it was gone in the evening.......
Sold in 1 day !!

its loaded for shure...if it was a Brougham its missing the brougham designation on dash where sport fury is...may be dash was replaced being its green...anyway thanx for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back