1978 NYB New Engine.....

Yep, so much easier with the engine is out. I'm going to do as much as possible before stabbing it in the car. Plenty of room in the engine by o it shouldn't have any fitment issues or hitting things.

but it's a $2500 1978 New Yorker
THOSE WERE THE EXACT WORDS I USED on the 4 speed car. LOL.
I could have dumped twenty grand into restoring it and it would propably nudge up to 3 grand from 25 hundred. Fluckkit. Live the dream.

Last edited:
It's your car. Make it "yours". It's a big effort to make that one into a G machine that really can carve and stop. I know what it takes on a car that weighs 1K lbs less...lol. Getting the stance and wheels isn't hard. The suspension and braking are going to be huge... And I'd look into hydroboost for the big brakes she's gonna need...

If this car was a Sport Fury GT...I wouldn't be doing this.....but it's a $2500 1978 New Yorker and probably the last car that I will put this amount of effort and money in to.
THOSE WERE THE EXACT WORDS I USED. LOL.
I could have dumped twenty grand into restoring it and it would propably nudge up to 3 grand from 25 hundred. Fluckkit. Live the dream.
FWIW... Bob's car would have been a parts car or derby fodder with the amount of work he's done to her. This isn't a cherry untouched original, this has been a labor of love... new(used) interior, lots of body repair, new paint and top... build her any way that you like Bob :thumbsup:

You have already exceeded all expectations with her:thankyou:

I would gripe if it were @CollinR doing this to the 30k original... :lol:
It's your car. Make it "yours". It's a big effort to make that one into a G machine that really can carve and stop. I know what it takes on a car that weighs 1K lbs less...lol. Getting the stance and wheels isn't hard. The suspension and braking are going to be huge... And I'd look into hydroboost for the big brakes she's gonna need...
You could change Formal brakes... but I think it would be pretty tough to improve Formal brakes.

You could change Formal brakes... but I think it would be pretty tough to improve Formal brakes.
It's the oem brake booster that needs to be dumped. Damn, that thing works inversely to what your brain wants it to feel like. Have hated Mopar brake boosters all my life.

wow :wideyed:
33549-jpeg.jpg

vintage-clockwork-25178097.jpg

Also ordered the 4 wire, 3 wire, 2 wire, 1 wire looms from Billet Specialities to tighten up the spark plug wires.

Screenshot_20180812-101322.png

THOSE WERE THE EXACT WORDS I USED on the 4 speed car. LOL.

I'm still a fan of your 4 speed car. It was a one of none if Chrysler ever built one. I liked the car before others after you got their hands on it I remember when you finished it. ..

FWIW... Bob's car would have been a parts car or derby fodder with the amount of work he's done to her. This isn't a cherry untouched original, this has been a labor of love... new(used) interior, lots of body repair, new paint and top... build her any way that you like Bob :thumbsup:

You have already exceeded all expectations with her:thankyou:

I would gripe if it were @CollinR doing this to the 30k original... :lol:

You could change Formal brakes... but I think it would be pretty tough to improve ]

I won't be driving like Richard Petty or Don Garlits....

Formal brakes are plenty good for my driving profile.

The dyno report says I'll have plenty of vacuum.

I'll let everyone know after the engine is installed about the brakes.

Last edited:
Where did that thread with the nice gauges go to?

I'm going to need to add some. Oil pressure, engine coolant temp, and alternator.

Found it. Stewart Warner Green Line gages.

I'm going to go with a 10-16 volt gage, oil pressure 0-80 psi, coolant temp 100-250°.

I'm going to keep the factory instrumentation working too.

I couldn't get the green line gages so I went with the Stewart Warner Deluxe gages.

I won't be driving like Richard Petty or Don Garlits....

Formal brakes are plenty good for my driving profile.

The dyno report says I'll have plenty of vacuum.

I'll let everyone know after the engine is installed about the brakes.

OK - so from the perspective of a G machine needing heavy handling parts and a real braking system to stop and turn at higher speeds - it's not a G machine build then. It will look the part but you're not planning to push it hard. Kind of like the Pro Street movement years ago.

Who the hell would buy a New Yorker Brougham 4 door to "push it hard"?
Except a 21 yo idiot. And Bob ain't no 21 yo idiot.
Call it a Pro—tourer.
I knew there was a style between Pro Street (definitely not the way Bob's going) and a G Machine, just couldn't remember it.

Back