1978 NYB New Engine.....

Engine, Transmission & Driveline

1. commando1

commando1 Old Man Wearing a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

Sierra? Same 440 displacement,
    I will take issue with this. Unless it's a industrial/marine block, once the water pump housing is removed, the 66-78 440 bare block should be the same as far as mounting any external components.
    And I would think the same for the 400.

2. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

Sierra as in '56 Dodge 2-dr station wagon. It was a customized and modified car that came from a B-J auction a few years ago.

There WAS an added casting bulge that had a bolt hole in it for a mounting brace. Not sure of the vintages of the two block, but there WAS a difference which required some salvage yard time to correct. I saw it with my own eyes as we all figured "they're all the same", as the tech pointed it out to me after he tried to swap out the existing accessories. The new engine didn't have it.

CBODY67

3. commando1

ngle-grinder-polishing-machine-600w-metal-cutting-machine-grinding-machine-angle-grinder_2455138.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I'll buy your old engine when your ready Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  5. commando1

Free delivery to Carlisle...

• Like Like x 1
  6. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

1978 NYB, please note Commando1's solution for casting bulges where might exist. Not sure what the solution might be for the resulting un-anchored bracket might be.

I mentioned that issue as it was something I'd never seen before OR suspected might happen. In the hope that a matching casting number/similar date might ensure you got a block that would truly be a "drop-in" situation.

Respectfully,
    CBODY67

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. 1978 NYB

1978 NYB Warfighter FCBO Gold Member

No, this is purely a cruiser. Transmission and rear axle are good to go. It will have a little more power than a stock 69 big block RR.

8. 1978 NYB

Carolina Machine Engines assured me that it is a drop in with no problems. Even with aluminum cylinder heads.

9. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

I looked at those guys when I first got the Polara (I was thinking of my Dart) and they seemed like the best choice. Called them up and asked all the stupid questions a newbie would ask and they were very polite and helpful with my Stoopid self. Being under paid and not a saver, that plan never came to fruition.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1978 NYB

I found them very courteous and informative. The initial contact was a great experience from a customers viewpoint. The only disappointing point was 12-15 week build time. With 100 engines ahead of mine says something about this engine builder. All good!

11. 1978 NYB

No problem Dave.

12. 1978 NYB

I'm hoping to have the new engine and finish installation by then. If that happens, I have no problem bringing the old engine to Carlisle in my Truck and heading back home to get my NYB.

13. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

You don't have to do that but if it is out I can settle up with you or get it etc.

14. SPF Required

SPF Required Member

Somethings not adding up on the match here... 50,000 engines over 34 years comes to an average of 4 engines per day, and that is if they work seven days a week (and only do Mopar). If there are 100 engines on order ahead of yours, that’d be about a 7 day queue until they get to you. Now I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it might not hurt to call them back and reminder them of their own claims and how it pans out mathematically. Just say’n.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. commando1

Moot point, isn't it? You could argue mathematically all day with them but I'm sure their reply will still be 12-15 weeks, take it or leave it.

16. 1978 NYB

I don't think that insignificant point is something that I want to call and argue about BEFORE they build my engine. The bottom line is.....who cares? I sure as hell don't care if they build 4 or 20 engines a day. I'm only concerned about the one they are building for me.

They wouldn't have an A+ rating from the BBB if they were a sub-standard engine builder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 1978 NYB

I plan on swapping it at my friends garage in Port Deposit, Md. We'll talk later.

20180127_095123.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. monaco75

monaco75 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Congrats Bob!! Look forward to seeing this happen. I know you’ve been talking about it for a while now.

I recommend these guys, with the poly mounts. I installed a conversion set of mounts from them into the monaco with the 440. Was very pleased with them, and they bolted up right in place.

Schumacher Creative Services

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. 78Brougham

78Brougham Deplorable FCBO Gold Member

I remember reading that Chrysler claimed they could grunt out a 331 Hemi every minute, back in the day. So 4 a day wouldn't be that much of a problem.
    If you've got a team of let's say 15 employees/machinists, and everyone is well crafted at their job, all in sync and well orchestrated, new parts, blocks cleaned and prepped etc. I don't see that as a problem. How many does say, Jaspar build a day?
    From what I've read they seem like a great company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

I worked St a parts store with 3 guys in the shop, mostly heads and more heads. We did full rebuilds, but not our bread and butter. I only remember delivering a few engines, but delivering a ton of cylinder heads. The engines generally weren't in the shop for more than a week or two. Can't remember if each tech stayed with it the whole way through or not. Later when it was a one man shop, they did whatever they wanted, one guy took forever, the next guy banged them out so fast you wondered if he knew what he was doing, he didn't and I called him out all the time! The last guy I worked with gave me one of the engines built by Speedy, and later told Loss Prevention I stole it! Then when dropping it off, says he had nothing to do with it. He knew and I knew, guess the nice in the store called? My time was done anyways, but it would have been nice to leave the way I should have, telling the new manager he was an idiot! That guy got fired later for working on his own stuff while on the clock. Karma's a bitch, Joe!

I think Bob's going to be fine with the folks he chose.

• Agree Agree x 1