1978 NYB New Engine.....

To help confuse you, a guy in FABO has dual FiTech throttle bodies on a cross ram, small block I think. He claims to have done zero tuning whatsoever. I haven't heard many issues with a slightly above stock build. Just a thought.

Ahhh, what about cutting up the fuel tank for a high pressure fuel pump? Or adding an external electric fuel pump? It is not as simple as bolting on a Eddie carb in 5 minutes. What do you gain except saying it's fuel injected? No mileage improvement? Hard to say if it is a drivability improvement? Not delving in too deep in fuel injection......yet, I just don't see the upside. And it's at least $1200 more than Eddie carb.

Ahhh, what about cutting up the fuel tank for a high pressure fuel pump? Or adding an external electric fuel pump? It is not as simple as bolting on a Eddie carb in 5 minutes. What do you gain except saying it's fuel injected? No mileage improvement? Hard to say if it is a drivability improvement? Not delving in too deep in fuel injection......yet, I just don't see the upside. And it's at least $1200 more than Eddie carb.
I was just sayin'... :lol: When you put it like that, yeah that's a lot more work than I'd invest. Makes sense to stick to what you know, no need to reinvent the wheel.

I was just sayin'... :lol: When you put it like that, yeah that's a lot more work than I'd invest. Makes sense to stick to what you know, no need to reinvent the wheel.

That is something that I need to research a lot before pulling the trigger. Maybe a couple of years down the road if I run out of other projects to get done.

A 9.25 axle with a 3:23 Sure Grip and new springs will probably be the next project after the engine is done.

Making it bulletproof to point in any direction and get there and back without a worry.

Not to be a ball buster - but it won't be "430 hp" in your car unless you add a bit more than just the engine, complete carb to pan. IN fact it might have some tuning issues if you retain the factory exhaust manifolding and exhaust system. If it were me, I would leave the iron heads, and lower the power level expectation to use a camshaft that will run with your current parts.
Just my opinion - but sometimes spending isn't what you need.
Also - don't ever, EVER rely on a Jasper engine beyond it's warranty.

It's not a Jasper engine.

It has true dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40's.

I'll be fine....

Making it bulletproof to point in any direction and get there and back without a worry.
Bob, I'm getting a big kick out of seeing you getting to enjoy your fleet. I say go "all in" on making the NYB what you want her to be. I know you have a good handle on what you want and what to do to get there... I am looking forward to the rest of this build thread.

FWIW, I kind of doubt the FI would help you as much as someone who doesn't like/understand carburetors.
I may be able to help with a fuel tank if you get the urge to go this direction later on.

I noticed you need roof rail weather strips. As far as I know they are unobtainable but I did find a fix for my Salon car a few years ago from Restoration Specialties. It’s a GM extrusion that fits right in but you have to cut the ends of your old ones and glue them in with 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

I posted a couple of pics doing my 78. In the second pic you can see the profile extrusion. I can start a new thread and get the contact info with part numbers if you need them. I also have part numbers for the vertical quarter glass extrusion as well but those require a little work to make them fit.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a complete re-manufactured performance crate engine for my 1978 NYB from Carolina Machine Engines out of South Carolina.

It'll be a 400 Horsepower B-Engine 400. Compression ratio 9.50:1, cast iron heads, complete from intake manifold to oil drain plug.

Only problem is it will take 12-15 weeks to manufacture and ship. That is a bummer but worth the wait.

Then.....all I have to do is routine maintenance and wash and wax her for the next 20 years.

And find a set of roof rail seals.

View attachment 175436

809D0811-30A2-4C94-9422-FEA0ACF83BA2.jpeg

AA702F0B-0A0C-4A1C-BE92-45F7EE2E046A.jpeg

I noticed you need roof rail weather strips. As far as I know they are unobtainable but I did find a fix for my Salon car a few years ago from Restoration Specialties. It’s a GM extrusion that fits right in but you have to cut the ends of your old ones and glue them in with 3m weatherstrip adhesive.

I posted a couple of pics doing my 78. In the second pic you can see the profile extrusion. I can start a new thread and get the contact info with part numbers if you need them. I also have part numbers for the vertical quarter glass extrusion as well but those require a little work to make them fit.

View attachment 177182

View attachment 177184

Thanks Kip!

Myself and the other Formal guys would greatly appreciate it if you did start another thread on the roof rail seals.

Thanks Kip!

Myself and the other Formal guys would greatly appreciate it if you did start another thread on the roof rail seals.
What he said... I knew this was out there, but it's much better to have a searchable thread with part numbers.

Here is that quarter glass seal profile. Another hard to find part. It also is a GM extrusion but appears to be a dead ringer, nice and soft too. Note that the old quarter glass seal will slide out with WD-40 but the new one will be a tight fit and you will have to sand it down with some 220 grit paper to make it thin enough to slide into the chrome on the rear window. DO NOT REMOVE THE CHROME FROM THE REAR WINDOW, simply soak it with WD-40 and slide it up and off.

Here it comes again, the company that carries this stuff is Restoration Specialties and they only carry the extrusion which means you must use your old ends.

The contact and website is below. Ask for dave Jr. as he is aware of this GM extrusion number that fits our cars.
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc.

The roof rail extrusion part number is GM extrusion 4770

The vertical quarter glass seal is a GM number extrusion again and does work. It's 92401.

The Cat Whiskers for the horizontal glass seal ar 990968 or 990969 depending on whether or not you want vent window or not.

Just search the above numbers in the catalog and you will find them.

Weatherstrip3.JPG

Here you can see the new extrusion locking into the track of my 78 NYB (4 door). It fits tight and you simply bend it to make the corner at the A-pillar and cut the end off your old weatherstrip on the front door as you'll need to glue them together. On the rear you cut it and join at the top of the C-pillar because the weatherstrip changes to another extrusion anyway where it runs down the C-pillar. (see second pic)

Weatherstrip9.JPG

Weatherstrip21.JPG

Update: I just talked to Carolina Machine Engine and my engine will be done in 3-4 weeks.

I have decided to try something a little different this time on my 78 NYB. I'm going to put a Holley SS-780-VS Quick Fuel carb with an electric choke on her this time. I had good luck with a Holley 780 on my 69 Super Bee and my 73 Challenger back in the 1970's.

Also going with a MSD 8386 distributor and custom MSD wires.

Back