1978 NYB New Engine.....

I do not think that kit will fix your problem. Who's pump is it? I would be suspect of it. I would run a high volume Carter mechanical. Who's ignition do you have? I have seen stock type pick up coils act like that, they get hot and the insulation in the pick up is not up to the task. Years ago it was because of the parts age, nowadays who knows.

MSD billet electronic ignition distributor, MSD 6AL ignition box, MSD Power Blaster 2 coil. Carquest fuel pump. Everything was brand new.

20180825_132836.jpg

Okay, nevermind on the ignition. I would definitely hook up the vacuum advance, your washing the cylinder walls with unburned gasoline and it will give you MPG. I know it does nothing for the Dyno numbers but it does not hurt them either.
I would buy a capillary tube kit and move the fuel pressure guage where you can see it while driving to see if it drops off when problem occurs.

I'll get it squared away one way or another.

A lot of good ideas. I'll try a combination of them.

I really dont want to modify the hood if all possible.

Okay, nevermind on the ignition. I would definitely hook up the vacuum advance, your washing the cylinder walls with unburned gasoline and it will give you MPG. I know it does nothing for the Dyno numbers but it does not hurt them either.
I would buy a capillary tube kit and move the fuel pressure guage where you can see it while driving to see if it drops off when problem occurs.

Thanks Dave, John, Stan and everybody else for your FCBO excellence!

:thumbsup: :thankyou: :thumbsup:

Good tips from Dave here. And I know that MSD coil is supposed to be the hot lick, but its still made in China. Just for grins, I would throw an old Chrysler stock coil on it and see what happens. Some coils start to fail when they get hot. . .

Good tips from Dave here. And I know that MSD coil is supposed to be the hot lick, but its still made in China. Just for grins, I would throw an old Chrysler stock coil on it and see what happens. Some coils start to fail when they get hot. . .

I will try that too. I have had coils fail in the past because of heat. Nothing wrong with having a spare if it isnt the coil.

I thought a stock coil didn't supply enough volts for the MSD ignition box, per their instructions?

I ordered one of these. Should have it in a couple of days.

Screenshot_20190402-205510_Chrome.jpg

Not to muddy the waters but...
I had 2 bad Carter mechanical fuel pumps in a row.
They would sporadically quit pumping.
If I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on my cowl, I would have been chasing my tail like you are now.
BTW, they make some self regulating fuel pumps, If you want to keep it simple.
Holley Mighty Mite Electric Fuel Pumps 12-427

I have used this style in the past with zero failures. I actually have this model on my Fury now, a higher flow version. Not sure where they get the pressure rating though, mine runs 6.5 psi whether running mechanical only or with electric on.
Carter P4600HP: Electric Fuel Pump Standard Pressure with 100 gph at 2-4.50 psi Output | JEGS

Not to muddy the waters but...
I had 2 bad Carter mechanical fuel pumps in a row.
They would sporadically quit pumping.
If I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge mounted on my cowl, I would have been chasing my tail like you are now.
BTW, they make some self regulating fuel pumps, If you want to keep it simple.
Holley Mighty Mite Electric Fuel Pumps 12-427

I have used this style in the past with zero failures. I actually have this model on my Fury now, a higher flow version. Not sure where they get the pressure rating though, mine runs 6.5 psi whether running mechanical only or with electric on.
Carter P4600HP: Electric Fuel Pump Standard Pressure with 100 gph at 2-4.50 psi Output | JEGS

So you are running a mechanical fuel pump and the Carter electric fuel pump at the same time?

No problem. And to expand on the problems I was having, the damn fuel pumps just quit flowing, could be going slow, could be running down the road.
The gauge would just drop slowly to zero. I would get ready for the stall out, and pull off or park if I could.
First thing I checked was the fuel level and make sure the tank didn't have a vacuum when I pulled the fuel cap.
Then, just as unexplainable, it would start pumping again. I warrantied he first one,checked the pushrod,stick the 2nd one on, same thing.
Replaced every piece of hose in the line, same thing.
Youd think the pump would be marginal at supplying fuel in that state, not so, it would feed the 850 quite well.
I went to a Dominator carb, at the behest of the carb builder I stuck that electric on.
That 2nd fuel pump is on the car now still, doesn't seem to crap out very often, when it does I just click the electric on for a couple seconds and it picks right up.

I almost wonder if I bent something internally.
Not sure what the upper RPM limit is, but mine seen 7k more than once.
Didn't really look at it that in depth. Simple design shouldn't be rocket science.
Over on Moparts, some guys were saying the newer Carters were troublesome.
Hopefully your luck is better than mine.

Back