1978 NY'er Blue Leather Steering Wheel Mod

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Finally got the blue leather steering wheel from a 1977 Charger PN# PO26 RB3 modified so it would work on a 1974-1978 NY'er with a T&T steering column.

DSC01966.jpg

Thanks. I have pictures to show the difference in the steering wheels and what has to be done to get it to work on the T&T column. BTW, all the T&T features work too. Having a problem posting pics again!!!!

Thanks. I have pictures to show the difference in the steering wheels and what has to be done to get it to work on the T&T column. BTW, all the T&T features work too. Having a problem posting pics again!!!!

What? On this site? I dont believe it!!!

Well, when the insert image works again I'll post pictures of what I've done. Sorry.

Thanks Stan. That part didn't need to be modified. Do you see the blue hub. I had to machine that down about an inch so it was flush with the metal back side of the steering inner hub.

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

Last edited:
The metal center hub with the splines, slots, and drilled holes are the same for all steering wheels. Just that blue plastic hub had to be machined down about an inch.

BTW, the cost was the best part...........

Blue leather wrapped steering wheel $50
1/2 hour on the lathe $30

Total cost $80

And a little gas money

Ok. I see what you meant now.
Man, I am so happy that gorgeous and rare wheel worked out for you. You actually owe Mr. C big time!

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Very nice Bob, good work. You can check that off the list, what's next, changing out your ww system?

Thanks all! That is officially the best part of the NY'er. Like I stated previously, the center hub, splines, slots, drilled holes are the same for all the steering wheels. The difference being the plastic hub on the back side. A little work with a lathe and it'll bolt right on.

Now I need a new steering wheel horn pad ornament PN# 3748 518. The one that is on it now looks terrible if you see it up close. I'm assembling a parts list for the big show at Carlisle already.

Yes Matt, the wiper system mod is next.

I have some work to do on the A/C too. The main issue with the A/C is the blend doors aren't working. The blower motor works great but can't get any air flow out of any vents or defrosters.

Back