2 essential Problems: no starting , no charging

alright sounds absolutely doable.....i don´t have any big "consumer" installed, front is totally apart. But i can figure it out to make it work. The alternator is brand new so I guess/hope/think it´s working and it´s something else.
You can do it without the headlights, but you really have to be careful not to run car very long if the alternator is working. The charging voltage to the battery can go high quickly and that load helps keep it down.

If you can do it, put the voltmeter where you can see it from the drivers seat and just run the car long enough to see the voltage.

You can do it without the headlights, but you really have to be careful not to run car very long if the alternator is working. The charging voltage to the battery can go high quickly and that load helps keep it down.

If you can do it, put the voltmeter where you can see it from the drivers seat and just run the car long enough to see the voltage.

I bridge the regulator right and that´s why it´s dangerous because of getting very high peaks in voltage right? Gonna be very careful and see what I can find out tomorrow. Exciting

I bridge the regulator right and that´s why it´s dangerous because of getting very high peaks in voltage right? Gonna be very careful and see what I can find out tomorrow. Exciting
Yes, that's correct. The regulator isn't there to limit the voltage.

I am sorry for that......checked all wires and bridged just to get close to this bad broken boy.......fixed that by bendind a little the brackets inside.....holds properly now but gonna watch it closely and might replace anyways.

I am sorry again.

View attachment 372713
Yes, I see. The ignition switch needs work or needs to be replaced. Good work!

So i checked the wires today and it seems to be okay . Didn’t do the voltage reg test with bringing because of fear of destroying other things . I saw a new one is just 25$ and if all wires and alternator are fine it kinda must be a broken reg right ? So just replace it and see if it works would be my further guess :)

Alright just to make sure.......the voltage reg is grounded by the housing on the chassis right? Or through one of the two cables and through the integrated alternator ground? Kinda got the feeling theres just a ground issues going on...

voltreg.jpg

That is correct. Grounded to through the housing to the metal underneath it.

Hey John I did the Test and found a good grounding I guess right on the chassis firewall blank metal . Checked the grounding properly . The colts of the battery didn’t change from 12,6volts. Switched the field wires even and tried again but nothing happened. The alternator is a brand new acdelco so For me it’s very tough to believe it came broken . Can I check the alternator in a different way somehow ? I still think the reg or the wiring is broken and wrong connected in between but I can’t really figure it out . It starts to get frustrating a tiny bit......

Hey John I did the Test and found a good grounding I guess right on the chassis firewall blank metal . Checked the grounding properly . The colts of the battery didn’t change from 12,6volts. Switched the field wires even and tried again but nothing happened. The alternator is a brand new acdelco so For me it’s very tough to believe it came broken . Can I check the alternator in a different way somehow ? I still think the reg or the wiring is broken and wrong connected in between but I can’t really figure it out . It starts to get frustrating a tiny bit......
I don't know of a good way to test the alternator without taking it apart and doing some basic checks. Since it is a new one, I would really expect it to work. If you were in the states, most of the auto chain stores can do a test where they spin it and test output. I don't know if you have that type of thing where you are.

Since you are questioning the wiring, maybe its time to really take a long look at that.

1. AC Delco alternators aren't much better than Mexcremental-Orient Express of Bombay GeschellShaft any more. Get a Tuff Stuff or a PowerMaster if you have Geld for a Sehr Gut Alternator Made in the U.S.A. Both of these companies make "squareback" alternators such as yours.

2. Replace that voltage regulator! Depending on your selection from 1.) you MAY get a 1 wire alternator with internal regulation, OR get a regulator from either of the aforementioned vendors. Others can be found, but stick with good U.S. made ones when possible.

3.) Regardless of 1 and/or 2., REPLACE YOUR CHARGING AND IGNITION WIRES! All of them. Go 1 AWG size LARGER than what the accountants at MoPar permitted their engineers to specify. For example: The yellow wire off the ignition switch is usually run in #16 AWG. Replace it with #14 AWG* (*American Wire Gauge). If you need European Common Market dimensions, there are tables of S.I. to S.A.E. conversions to be had. Google is Your Guru.

4.), Clean up that bulkhead connector. If its burned much, replace it. I salvaged the secondary connections by cleaning, but ran straight through the main power connections after drilling out what remained of the bulkhead connection there. I had a nasty little fire in the first couple months I owned my ride, which encouraged me to take the steps I advocate.

5.) Be sure and use good fusible link wire where appropriate. Go 2 AWG sizes smaller than the circuit element for a total of 7 inches (15 cm.) leaving about 1/2 inch (12 mm) bare on each end of the link wire and you'll be fine.

I've had no further major trouble since I replaced those wires 4 yrs ago. I did finally replace the starter relay a couple weeks ago, but am keeping the old one for a good cleaning and reconditioning, in case my Standard Blue Streak one proves to be a disappointment. I pray you will do well with your rolling treasure soon too.

Good morning everybody ! Thanks to all of your advices especially from big john and a great list of „to dos“ from Gerald . As my feelings were that the wiring is bad I renewed all of the blue wire in the Engine bay And as soon as this was done after 10-15min I started and voila ! 14,3 Volts were shown by the voltmeter . So Thread can be marked as solved and both big electric problems are fine and I am happy that I kept going . My happiness after was Totally worth the work. Nevertheless I will replace most of the wiring Gerald mention the way he said . My alger step works fine and I thought acdelco is not the worst brand but thanks for the explanation of what’s good today :) replaced the starter relay already earlier and will replace the volt reg too and maybe even replace the bulkhead connector with a thing called feedthrough but for now I am just satisfied and happy . Thanks and have a great week everybody .

Back