2 Post or 4 Post Lift

65Fury440

Reaction score
I am finally getting my long awaited garage built. I am going with 12 foot walls so I have room for a lift. I want to use my lift for the usual tasks, as well as storage.

I know Stan and Catfish both have lifts, I would like some input as to what brands are good, and what design you have, and any other helpful hints.

I will be have to make a decision before concrete goes in, to build the piers.

I am leaning towards a 2 post, it would mean that every time I want to lift the car, I'd be crawling under the car, with the trade off of being able to pull wheels easier.

Anyone with experience care to offer input? Thanks -Doug

Two post will give you more room underneath verticle. So if you plan to get a second car under it I'd go two post. You're only lifting from the frame or lift points. A four post you're lifting from the bottom of the tires. Not so important with a car but a truck say on 35" tires that's quite a bit of difference.

Snice you mentioned about pouring concrete...
They generally put down a 4" slab.
If you go 2 post, demand they pour 6" where the posts will be sitting.

You don't need piers as long as concrete is a decent thickness. I'm sure there is specs on lift manufacture's web sites. My brother in law just bought a 10,000# bendpak 2 post the instructions are vague and disorganized but common sense will point you in the right direction.

I've been mulling the same choices. I think working under a 4-post is safer and it is much easier to lift a vehicle on. Maybe a 4 post would be better at storing vehicles on and under.

There are things I want to be able to do though that would be easier with a 2-post. Working on brakes, doing body repairs or even removing and installing the entire drive train with the k-member attached to name a few.

I personally would find the ramps on a 4-post in the way more often than not for restoration work but for general maintenance like oil changes, exhaust, fuel and brake lines or hoses and belts, maybe a 4-post or a service pit would be best. I'm going with a 2-post this winter which is the opposite season to get things done in Texas. Our summer is about over so I can actually get something done now.

I've got my eyes on a two post when I can push it to the top of my priority list, soon I think...

Put the feelers out with your local Snap On, Mac, Cornwell tool guy/gal with a 10 spot in the handshake will get you some leads on used lift you would be shocked whats out there. Plus shops are looking to upgrade to a asymetrical lift (for fwd cars) the symetrical lifts seem to work better with our old stuff.

I've been mulling the same choices. I think working under a 4-post is safer and it is much easier to lift a vehicle on. Maybe a 4 post would be better at storing vehicles on and under.

There are things I want to be able to do though that would be easier with a 2-post. Working on brakes, doing body repairs or even removing and installing the entire drive train with the k-member attached to name a few.

I personally would find the ramps on a 4-post in the way more often than not for restoration work but for general maintenance like oil changes, exhaust, fuel and brake lines or hoses and belts, maybe a 4-post or a service pit would be best. I'm going with a 2-post this winter which is the opposite season to get things done in Texas. Our summer is about over so I can actually get something done now.
i have had a 4 poster for a couple years now and wish i had bought one 20 years ago. it is an extra parking spot for one. no need to pour extra concrete. comes with casters if you wanted to move it around, even with a vehicle on it. if you are doing brake jobs all day long than a 2 poster is for you. for the hobbiest a 4 poster is the way to go.

Put the feelers out with your local Snap On, Mac, Cornwell tool guy/gal with a 10 spot in the handshake will get you some leads on used lift you would be shocked whats out there. Plus shops are looking to upgrade to a asymetrical lift (for fwd cars) the symetrical lifts seem to work better with our old stuff.
I recently learned that I have feelers Dave!

I am finally getting my long awaited garage built. I am going with 12 foot walls so I have room for a lift. I want to use my lift for the usual tasks, as well as storage.

I know Stan and Catfish both have lifts, I would like some input as to what brands are good, and what design you have, and any other helpful hints.

I will be have to make a decision before concrete goes in, to build the piers.

I am leaning towards a 2 post, it would mean that every time I want to lift the car, I'd be crawling under the car, with the trade off of being able to pull wheels easier.

Anyone with experience care to offer input? Thanks -Doug
another problem with a 2 poster is if you have cars with very low exhaust such as a couple of mine you wont be able to slide the bars underneath to lift it. kind of a pain in the ***. plus as far as storing a car underneath it i feel safer with a 4 poster. plus who wants their suspension hanging

611758695_360.jpg

another problem with a 2 poster is if you have cars with very low exhaust such as a couple of mine you wont be able to slide the bars underneath to lift it. kind of a pain in the ***. plus as far as storing a car underneath it i feel safer with a 4 poster. plus who wants their suspension hanging

How far out is your exhaust.

Thanks for all the advice. I learned a couple key things, the biggest being the cement issue. I still think I am leaning (that word scares me) towards the 2 post. I am going to be pouring the slab, 3500 psi with fiber, and regardless of what the directions say, I'm going to go 8 inches where the posts will be, it will be about $100.00 for an extra yard of cement.

My next projects will be narrowing a Dana for the 65, and redoing the body on the 63. I want to drop the stub frame out of the 65 for the stroker swap as well, so right out of the gate, the 2 post wins.

I never thought about exhaust being in the way, I have only used a 2 post 3 times in my life, it seems like the arms come in from the outside of the frame, opposite from where the exhaust would be wouldn't it?

I also never thought about width problems. I am limited to a 24x24 garage, so pulling the arms out will probably mean moving the car out of the slot next to the lift. I will also have to place the lift in from the outside wall. I need to start looking at lift dimensions.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt and Dave,I just don't know about you guys...... (shaking head). I googled "muddy feelers" and got some crab thing.

I'm going to go 8 inches where the posts will be, it will be about $100.00 for an extra yard of cement.
Well worth it. Glad to hear you do it.
The reason I brought up the issue of depth, rather than strength is because, while 4" may support the load, it will be insufficient for securing the base of the posts to the floor.
The posts are secured by Concrete Anchors which are rather large and you need the depth because of their size. At 4", the anchors will be longer than the slab depth.

hqdefault.jpg

Back