300 Hurst 1970 firewall overspray question

Bobrist

Reaction score
Hi!

i wonder ig the factory back in 1970 did heavy black overspray when they sprayed the cowl area? on my Hurst the firewall has a lot of black paint on it and many ive seen has it.

Tony

Cowls are body colored. It's probaby rustproofing overspray.

Hmmm. yet another overseas Hurst.

Cowls are body colored. It's probaby rustproofing overspray.

Hmmm. yet another overseas Hurst.
Unless he is referring to the top which was blacked out, on this car you can see the overspray above the driver side fender brace and above the heater on the other side.
2009-11-21_36.jpg

Alan

Unless he is referring to the top which was blacked out, on this car you can see the overspray above the driver side fender brace and above the heater on the other side.
2009-11-21_36.jpg

Alan
What were they painting that there would be overspray way up there?

heres is mine
as you can see the rad support are black also, that i dont think it shall be
Another question.. if the sticker in the door are gone is there anyway you can see with number you car has etc, 3 of 500
i also hae another black plate sitting under one of the screws holding the fendertag , what can that be

15227899_670544266446135_2113952102_n.jpg

Overspray on the fire wall is correct, from when the factory sprayed the cowl. Apparently, the rad support often missed that spray step and was left body color.

Overspray on the fire wall is correct, from when the factory sprayed the cowl. Apparently, the rad support often missed that spray step and was left body color.

It sometimes depended on the actual body color on the car. If it was a darker color a lot of the assembly plants would not paint it, light colors almost always got blacked out.

Without seeing it, that looks like someone went through there with a rattle can. They usually stopped the undercoating at the body weld pinch point on the firewall.

heres is mine
as you can see the rad support are black also, that i dont think it shall be
Another question.. if the sticker in the door are gone is there anyway you can see with number you car has etc, 3 of 500
i also hae another black plate sitting under one of the screws holding the fendertag , what can that be
The black on your firewall is not correct. It's all over the wiper motor and other various components. It may be "rustproofing" material that had turned black, or originally was black. I've never seen a 70 300H like that.

Hurst was sloppy at times, and the black out paint for the cowl was painted by Chrysler and in semi gloss.

Your cowl doesn't appear to be factory correct color.

Back