383 Poor Idle

I took carb. back off today...doesn't look like there's any adj. screws in there. Maybe I can find a parts carb. with a base that has adjustment screws in it? My carb. is a 4578S. It's listed in the 1968-1975 Chilton's manual in the Carter Carburetor section. Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler used it in 68 only...along with a bunch other numbers too.
IMG_1147.JPG

Last edited:
Take a piece of wire and run it in the round holes that would below the throttle plate. You should hit the end of a needle screw. I don't know of any carburetor manufacture that used an orifice to control fuel on the idle circuit. My bad Holley is the only one I can think of.

My '68 has the same exact 1 screw carb as your car does. I cannot get the car to idle at all, even after a rebuild. I think these carbs are a problem. I will be changing it out for a Stromberg WWC this weekend....I would get a different carb if I were you.

My '68 has the same exact 1 screw carb as your car does. I cannot get the car to idle at all, even after a rebuild. I think these carbs are a problem. I will be changing it out for a Stromberg WWC this weekend....I would get a different carb if I were you.

Very interesting information for me especially. Perhaps it is this stupid carb. that's giving me the grief with my idle. I always thought Mopar produced great stuff in the 60's. I know in the mid 70's when lean burn came out there were major problems, but in 68?...Hmmm. Can you please keep us posted with details of what you're doing to your car? Would like to be guided to make the right choice in carb. for my car. I know rebuilds can be ordered at Auto Zone and Advance...but obviously, I need to know part numbers. Thanks,

Bob

Saylor...I knew what holes to look for the air/fuel adjustment screws. That's why I said it "doesn't look like there's any adj. screws in there." Thank you for your photo. It's good to see one with the brass tips poking through. For the life of me, I can't understand why Ma Carter would fill these in with lead. Why did they NOT want technicians/owners to adjust air/fuel mixture to equalize both sides of carb and smooth out the idle? This is so frustrating!! I clicked on the link to your thread and read it through fairly well. Initially...I thought you HAD to put a manual choke on this carb...but now I see you CHOSE to. Thank you...it looks like this carb. is exactly what I want. But perhaps I can hold out for a parts carb. that has the proper base? I did just rebuild mine.

Photo below is of my Chilton's Manual. It lists several different numbers for 1968 Carter BBD 2 barrels, so there's 6 other original carbs. that may have adjustment screws? My carb. with the lead filled adjustment screw holes is the one at the bottom of list (for 68) 4578S.

Bob

IMG_1159.JPG

Looks like I can get one of these United carbs. 5-599 local too...at Auto Zone. Sure would take the hassle out of returning it...if I have to. Sounds like you had to return your first carb. Saylor...right?

Carburetor at AutoZone.com - Best Carburetor Products for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Last edited:
i have a 4608 carter bbd on my car. it has two mixture screws. a very simple carb and easy to rebuild and adjust. it has the thermostatic spring on the intake to work the choke.

Update: Really pleased to mention: I've put 1000 miles on the 'ol girl now. Been running Lucas fuel treatment 100% of the time. Recently I noticed that the idle smoothed out, so today I decided to take a quick reading on the problem cylinders that had low compression. They've all come up to 125! I was most worried about #1 because it was at 85 initially but even that one has come up to nearly 10% of the rest. I think I'll mess around with those lead plugged adjustment screws on the carb. now. All of you that gave me the advice to drive it...thanks!

:thumbsup: Bob

Back