'65 Fury III - more progress, but now a leaf spring issue...

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

Progress continues on the '65 Fury. The headliner is in, all of the side glass has been remounted into the channels, new window fuzzies, channel flocking, lock mechanisms in and working, window regulators lubed, interior sail panel covers are on, dash and interior lights working, temp/amp/fuel gauges working, and all new lines and grommets on the gas tank (had a bad float on the sending unit).

While I was under the car reinstalling the gas tank, I was a surprised to see the shackle end of the rear leaf springs resting on the underside of the trunk. I've NEVER seen that before.

Could the previous owner have installed the wrong leaf springs? They appear to be too short.

Can anyone tell me what I've got going on with the rear springs?

There always seems to a hidden surprises in unfinished projects...

Chris

spring.jpg

That is just too crazy!

Check out the link posted by 65fury440
There is something really wrong here

B body springs maybe? I bought a 67 nyer that had super stock springs on it. It had 3-4" spacers mounted in the front that pushed the springs back enough to mount correctly. It took me a minute to figure out. Had some help from tallhair,70bigblockdodge(dave)and a few others. One of them might know more about the spacers.
(Edited due to inebriated misspelling):)

Last edited:
Old thread, but...
Some SS springs are 20" from axle centerline to center of front spring eye, I believe our cars require 22" (that's from memory, so my numbers might be off).

Many years ago I got a set of leafsprings from JC Whitney for a B-body Cordoba, I never used them on that car, so decided to install them on my 65 Fury. when I jack it up and the tire comes off the ground, it snaps to the trunk floor just like that. The springs are shorter in the rear section.

You can correct that by prying the spring down and back at the shackle. I have had that happen when jacking or lifting the car without supporting the axle. It's a PITA but can be corrected.

correct. I hated doing the prybar thing, so I finally made a small piece of chain with hooks to hold the shackle rearward a bit while jacking the car up. Whatever you do, make sure it's not something that can fly out at you.

Back