'65 New Yorker bringing it back to life thread-

Still smoking though...not sure- exhaust manifold gaskets or burning off from sitting so long....

The side smoking had the worst spark plugs..again, not sure if it was from sitting...

20200408_190252.jpg

Fwiw, shampoo the engine and replace valve cover gaskets.
Years of oil prolly leaked out and onto the engine and manifolds.
Eventually it will burn off lol

Fwiw, shampoo the engine and replace valve cover gaskets.
Years of oil prolly leaked out and onto the engine and manifolds.
Eventually it will burn off lol

That's what I was thinking. Thx.

It was last registered 2011....might have been started twice a year since then..

New valve covers, gaskets, hardware, ect. Ordered.

New fuel tank, sending unit, straps, ect. Ordered.

Chrome dip stick and alternator bracket ordered.

Save your old locking ring for the sending unit and reuse it.

I'll try. The new tank comes with a new ring and gasket- my old ring is rough/gasket is toast....but will hang onto it, just in case.

I actually went with the 18 gallon '70 road runner tank and sending unit. Saved a bunch of $$$ and left more room for future dual exhaust.

I'll try. The new tank comes with a new ring and gasket- my old ring is rough/gasket is toast....but will hang onto it, just in case.

I actually went with the 18 gallon '70 road runner tank and sending unit. Saved a bunch of $$$ and left more room for future dual exhaust.
I’ll be interested to know if that tank will even work for you. Did someone who’s already done that swap tell you about it?

I’ll be interested to know if that tank will even work for you. Did someone who’s already done that swap tell you about it?
I've been hearing about this as an alternative for years, supposedly works well other than a smaller capacity. But now that Spectre upped their game there's no need for it.

Good luck on that dipstick, I think that was the same one I got, a little too big for the hole in the block

Thx for the heads up!! You might have saved me from an hour or 2 of trying the impossible.

I will keep you posted. Heard about a few people doing this. Seen pics of the centered tank with the dual exhaust- looked good. Needed the road runner sending unit, but used the new yorker fill neck still. I checked dimensions too and seemed close enough to give a shot.

Some work on the drivers seat before installing the seat covers-

20200411_152031.jpg
20200411_152225.jpg
20200411_152725.jpg
20200411_152956.jpg
20200411_152031.jpg
20200411_152225.jpg
20200411_152725.jpg
20200411_152956.jpg
20200411_153031.jpg

Back