'65 New Yorker bringing it back to life thread-

Damn..
20200411_170524.jpg
20200411_170735.jpg
20200411_171433.jpg

Wonder if a valve hung open?

That's what I am thinking...cars only been started a couple handfuls of times since 2001. Probly wasn't ready for any sort of reving yet...

Fingers crossed it's nothing major...

On the brighter side though, played with the new car seat covers a bit, to get my mind off the not so great news...

I haven't strapped or tightened them in yet, so still loose. They will tuck right in under the chrome sides. The back panel w/ the ashtrays will fit back after instigation and look very similar to stock and not see any straps or hardware. Happy so far-

Before-

20200326_164327.jpg
20200326_164421.jpg

Also, since I was in the middle of replacing the valve covers, I just set the problem side on, till it's fixed, to get some gratification of the clean up/dress up I did under there-

Before-

20200401_181412.jpg

Gas tank came today. Sending unit and straps should be here monday. I'll get comparison shots, side by side, when I get the old tank back out.

20200411_145827.jpg

Looking great. I'm sorry to hear about the pushrod and rocker blowing up.

I hope it's not serious and can be a quick fix. Once you get the rocker replaced (they sell them). Go with all new tappets, push rods...pull the coil and crank the motor. See what it looks like slow. Then compression check that cylinder

It might not be as bad as it looks. That motor is pretty tough... If that were today's ****..that would be a total rebuild

If I can make a suggestion on your wiring. That #7 lead needs to come out from the spring mount. That's really a bad idea. Take the ground wire, move it over to mount the bracket. The pointy end of the bracket goes in the hole the ground bolt is in now. Take all of your wires and try to tie wrap them as best possible until you get wire looms.

IMG_20200331_113455050_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200401_113957337_HDR.jpg

Looking great. I'm sorry to hear about the pushrod and rocker blowing up.

I hope it's not serious and can be a quick fix. Once you get the rocker replaced (they sell them). Go with all new tappets, push rods...pull the coil and crank the motor. See what it looks like slow. Then compression check that cylinder

It might not be as bad as it looks. That motor is pretty tough... If that were today's ****..that would be a total rebuild

If I can make a suggestion on your wiring. That #7 lead needs to come out from the spring mount. That's really a bad idea. Take the ground wire, move it over to mount the bracket. The pointy end of the bracket goes in the hole the ground bolt is in now. Take all of your wires and try to tie wrap them as best possible until you get wire looms.

View attachment 368012

View attachment 368013

Thanks for the info. I will take that advice.

Right now all my wiring is a mess from moving things from cleaning. painting, and valve cover removal. It's all over the place right now. I will be checking out your engine bay when it's time to get it all back proper. I like how you got it all routed and set up.

Thanks for the info. I will take that advice.

Right now all my wiring is a mess from moving things from cleaning. painting, and valve cover removal. It's all over the place right now. I will be checking out your engine bay when it's time to get it all back proper. I like how you got it all routed and set up.
No problem... I did all the homework and asked all the questions from all the right people... so you don't have to! LOL!

Man, I wish I could help you with that rocker. Just keep moving on that car, it's really coming along nicely and will be great once it's done.

No problem... I did all the homework and asked all the questions from all the right people... so you don't have to! LOL!

Man, I wish I could help you with that rocker. Just keep moving on that car, it's really coming along nicely and will be great once it's done.

Thx man, will do.

Back