66' 300 Engines

lebaron413

Reaction score
Hi Folks; I need some clarification on the 383 & 440 engine options for the 300. They list a base 440, with single snorkel air cleaner. Did this engine come with the upswept High Perf exhaust manifolds? and did the 383 have that option available? Thanks, John.

Hi Folks; I need some clarification on the 383 & 440 engine options for the 300. They list a base 440, with single snorkel air cleaner. Did this engine come with the upswept High Perf exhaust manifolds? and did the 383 have that option available? Thanks, John.

They are log manifolds in '66. You can reference this with the parts manual. Download for free at www.mymopar.com, you will find the parts manuals in the tools/reference section from their home page. Manifolds are covered in the engine section of the parts manual.

Dave

They are log manifolds in '66. You can reference this with the parts manual. Download for free at www.mymopar.com, you will find the parts manuals in the tools/reference section from their home page. Manifolds are covered in the engine section of the parts manual.

Dave
Dave, thanks for that, I am looking at a 66' 300 for sale, U.S. model with wrap around tailights. Pic's of the engine show the upswept Manifolds and Square bore carb, I presume an AFB. Had me scratching my head, maybe a swap?

Dave, thanks for that, I am looking at a 66' 300 for sale, U.S. model with wrap around tailights. Pic's of the engine show the upswept Manifolds and Square bore carb, I presume an AFB. Had me scratching my head, maybe a swap?

There is a machined pad on the top of the block just across from the distributor. A '66 engine will have stamped on this pad B-440 if it is the factory engine. "66 still has the AFB carb.

Dave

No upswept exhaust manifolds in 66.

Hard to see that pad if the car has AC. Pad has B440 for 1966 model year 440, plus assembly date of month and day. Assembly date needs to be prior to the sequence date found on the fender tag, or the engine is likely non-original even if it is model year correct. No serial numbers stamped on engines or transmissions in 66. Dates only, and logically, dates have to precede the car's assembly (sequence) date.

Example: D 440 means 1968 440, and 4 26 means assembly on April 26 of 1966. Looks like this:

106_1228.jpg

Casting date for the engine is found under the driver's side exhaust manifold and cast part number will show generally be a month or two prior to the sequence date, which on a 66 will be seen on the fender tag. Casting dates are Month * Day * Year.

Example 7*1*65 means the engine was cast on July 1, 1965. Looks like this:

image-jpeg.jpg

Sequence dates run from October to December of 65 with letters A B C then the day (two numbers). After Jan 1st 66, the sequence date has numbers 1-8 corresponding to Jan - August of 66 and two numbers for the day. Sequence date is in the bottom left corner of the fender tag on 66s, and typically run into or are in close proximity to the 5 digit order number next to it.

Example - A27 means October 27 of 65. 208 means February 2 of 66. Looks like this:

fendertag.jpg

Unless the upswept manifolds might be the more tubulat versions from the earlier 1960s drag race motors (which will NOT clear any power brake booster in the way, which also might be worth a lot of money now), the cast iron HP manifolds did not appear before the 1967 440/375 mootor. The optional 440/365 motor should have had normal exhaust "log" manifolds, as did all of the 383s in '66.

1967 and prior Carter AFBs OEM were the small pattern with the smaller air cleaner mounting circle.

CBODY67

Back