67 Newport sounds like its 'missing', any ideas??

OneEyed

Reaction score
Started it up after work yesterday and it just didn't sound right. Sounds like its missing and my neighbor who is on old mopar guy thought the same thing.

I pulled the plugs and checked the gaps, also checked both ends of all the cables and it all looks good.

What do I look at next?

I have no idea when the cap or rotor have been changed. Would that be the next possibility?

67 Newport with a 383, 2 barrel.

Thanks!

make sure a plug wire didnt get a burn spot in it if its close to the manifolds they will arc out onto whatever they are laying on.

you can carefully pop the cap of the dist and look at teh rotor and contacts on the cap, but if it just started out of the blue, i wouldnt expect that. but a wire maybe.

try not to die -

- saylor

make sure a plug wire didnt get a burn spot in it if its close to the manifolds they will arc out onto whatever they are laying on.

you can carefully pop the cap of the dist and look at teh rotor and contacts on the cap, but if it just started out of the blue, i wouldnt expect that. but a wire maybe.

try not to die -

- saylor

Look them all over real closely, but I've had problems with the ones running to 7 & 8 previously. Their length gives lots of opportunity for them to get to close to the manifolds.

I doubt it could be the coil, they either work or not. Check the wires as mentioned, a cheap way to isolate which cylinder is start with number 1 cylinder, and remove the wire from the cap, start the engine, worse, shut it off and move to the next one. The same check everything, also does you car have electronic or point ignition?

i had the driver side back corner plug wire fall off while i was out and about once,, had to put it back on hot. that sucked. really really bad. i ended up soaking my t shirt with a bottle of water, wrapping my hand up in the wet towel, and going for it. a burnt hand later i was back on the road.

i changed the wires from OEM vatozone crap to taylor 8mm shortly after that incident.

I just double checked all the cables and everything still looks good.

As far as ignition goes, its completely stock as far as I know, i guess that would make it points and non electric..??

Cables are orange Mopars that I put on a year or two ago.

I believe its a points ignition. Electric would have an extra 'box' right?
Not if it's a Pertronix. It is all contained in the distributor. You will have to take the distributor cap off to find out.

Plug wires also break down internally. The resistance increases with age and wear and tear. They can look good on the outside, but not be good internally.

Not if it's a Pertronix. It is all contained in the distributor. You will have to take the distributor cap off to find out.
Im willing to bet it just a regular points style. But I will take the cap off after work. This car is a completely stock base model from what I've learned in the last three years of owning it but then again, I have come across a few weird modifications/repairs.

Plug wires also break down internally. The resistance increases with age and wear and tear. They can look good on the outside, but not be good internally.
Just put on new cables about a year or two ago. I guess I can test resistance/continuity across them just to be sure.

Im willing to bet it just a regular points style. But I will take the cap off after work. This car is a completely stock base model from what I've learned in the last three years of owning it but then again, I have come across a few weird modifications/repairs.
It is a very common upgrade. Here is what it could/should look like.
_MG_2976.jpg

Just put on new cables about a year or two ago. I guess I can test resistance/continuity across them just to be sure.
In that case, they are probably fine. I thought that might be another unknown.

Okay, thanks! That'll help. So this pic is of a Pertronix? What is the benefit of this over the points style? If I have to replace some parts here, I might as well look into an upgrade as well.
I think it may be a Pertronix I (not my picture). If you do upgrade, get and Ignitor III by Pertronix. They have some nifty features, and less (none for me) bugs. I upgraded for reliability reasons since my car is one of my daily drivers.
Ignitor III

Please check to see which cylinder is not firing first. There are many things that could be bad, not just in the distributor. I asked if the car still had points, because I have seen a cam block wear unevenly and cause a miss if the points are not gapped correctly.

Please check to see which cylinder is not firing first. There are many things that could be bad, not just in the distributor. I asked if the car still had points, because I have seen a cam block wear unevenly and cause a miss if the points are not gapped correctly.

Will Do! Thanks for the help!

So im pulling cables and starting it to see which cylinder is dead. Found it and now Ive got the cable removed and Ive measured zero continuity across it.

Back