68 newport Fuel line

Tonybkel@newulmte

Reaction score
Am I thinking right that the hard line from the fuel pump to carb is 5/16"? Do you all run hardline all the way up then hose on top of engine?

yeah, 5/16
DSC04677.JPG
DSC04677.JPG

I installed the complete Inline Tube system (5/16) from the tank to the carb (except obviously where short lengths of hose are required). Steel all the way, and no ugly fuel filter up top where it ISN'T supposed to be.

Yes, 5/16 with just a couple small pieces of hose to connect the pieces of line together. When you're going to do the piece that goes through the front frame there is a clip that holds it fast. You can take the clip off from under the hood. Hook a piece of mechanic's wire to the line where it connects to the fuel pump then pull it out from behind. Then you'll be able to use the wire to pull the new line through. tape the end of the line off so you don't fill it full of junk while pulling it through the frame.

yup... other than fuel line to connect it all
View attachment 243600 View attachment 243601

I must take back my malicious and erroneous attack about fuel filters "out of place above the engine". Clearly, mr. fix. it has schooled me regarding proper appearance on engines that I'm not familiar with. His pictures are friggin' OUTSTANDING.

Henceforth, my comments will be limited to my limited knowledge about RB engines....where the fuel filter is under the alternator.

Other than that, I'll add that our big, sluggish, 3.23 geared cars can't slurp more gas than a 5/16th fuel line can provide.

B/RB engines always had (as far as I know or have always seen on the cars, when new) the filter just above the fuel pump, but LA and A motors could be different.

I know that many like the "clear" filter, or even the opaque plastic, BUT when you see that filter "empty" and the engine running just fine, it looks a bit "unusual". With the shiny metal OEM version, if the engine is running fine, you don't worry about what's going on inside of it.

In general, the MORE metal in the lines, the possibility of a flammable event happening is decreased . . . especially with the current ethanol'd fuels we how have (where the ethanol dries-out the rubber from the inside out).

CBODY67

I must take back my malicious and erroneous attack about fuel filters "out of place above the engine". Clearly, mr. fix. it has schooled me regarding proper appearance on engines that I'm not familiar with. His pictures are friggin' OUTSTANDING.

Henceforth, my comments will be limited to my limited knowledge about RB engines....where the fuel filter is under the alternator.

Other than that, I'll add that our big, sluggish, 3.23 geared cars can't slurp more gas than a 5/16th fuel line can provide.

Thanks for your compliments :p

CBODY67 is correct in his comments with the BB &RB engines on the fuel filter location.
Mine a Poly 318 and this is where the filter is located for my application which is much easier to change than the lower location IMHO.

Metal filters? yes they are likely superior in less chance of a fire. I used the clear type to make sure I had ample flow and ease of viewing the contents for debris.
It also helped me to diagnose a bad brand new fuel pump thanks to AZ after about 3 months of driving

Some of us will add another one near the tank for added protection...

Last edited:
I prefer the clear filter on top. When the fuel system is working correctly it's about 1/2 full of gas. When empty it's obvious why the car won't start. Either out of gas or pump issues. Very handy when you're sitting on the side of the road worrying about a trooper showing up to tow your car away.

Back