68 Newport transmission extraction issue/question

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello C body fans,

When I removed a transmission with the motor (bolted together) - it was relatively easy.
Different car, still a similar 68 Newport, but I need to rebuild the tranny only on this one, but the trick seems to be getting to the top 2 bellhousing bolts. The engine is pushed back so much in the engine compartment, there isn't enough room for a socket or open end wrench. I dropped the transmission frame member and although the motor sagged a bit and clearance was increased between the fire wall and the bolts, I still can't make a socket and extension/universal set up to get it from under the car... I guess I could pull the motor too, but I am hoping there is an historical trick so I do not have to.

I tried bending up an old 9/16 wrench to sneak it in from above, but although I can land it on the bolt, I can't apply enough torque without the modified wrench slipping off.

Is there a special tool, tool set-up available or any old tricks to get these 2 bolts out?
Thanks,
Mike

Hello C body fans,

When I removed a transmission with the motor (bolted together) - it was relatively easy.
Different car, still a similar 68 Newport, but I need to rebuild the tranny only on this one, but the trick seems to be getting to the top 2 bellhousing bolts. The engine is pushed back so much in the engine compartment, there isn't enough room for a socket or open end wrench. I dropped the transmission frame member and although the motor sagged a bit and clearance was increased between the fire wall and the bolts, I still can't make a socket and extension/universal set up to get it from under the car... I guess I could pull the motor too, but I am hoping there is an historical trick so I do not have to.

I tried bending up an old 9/16 wrench to sneak it in from above, but although I can land it on the bolt, I can't apply enough torque without the modified wrench slipping off.

Is there a special tool, tool set-up available or any old tricks to get these 2 bolts out?
Thanks,
Mike

There is no specialized tool for this that I know of. Most of the time you can get them with a "stubby" off set closed box wrench. The stubby is only about 5" long, so it will fit in the space available from the top side. Another possibility is a half-moon end wrench which and is a close quarter tool for tight spaces. I always had better luck pulling the top bolts from on top of the engine with the usual cuts and bruises etc. One has to be something of a contortionist however to do it that way.

Dave

There's no special trick that I know of.

I've never had an issue getting the bolts out. I use a very long extension and a swivel socket. The extension is specifically made for bellhousing bolts. It's 1/2" drive on the wrench end and 3/8" drive on the socket end, and about 30" long. A bunch of 3/8" extensions should be almost as good. The trick could be the swivel socket. It takes up a bit less space than a regular socket attached to a swivel coupler. The swivel socket grips the bolt head better too, and doesn't try to jump off as easily.

Jeff

There's no special trick that I know of.

I've never had an issue getting the bolts out. I use a very long extension and a swivel socket. The extension is specifically made for bellhousing bolts. It's 1/2" drive on the wrench end and 3/8" drive on the socket end, and about 30" long. A bunch of 3/8" extensions should be almost as good. The trick could be the swivel socket. It takes up a bit less space than a regular socket attached to a swivel coupler. The swivel socket grips the bolt head better too, and doesn't try to jump off as easily.

Jeff

Yes, that worked. I don't have a combo 9/16-universal and it kept over-rotating getting the universal part stuck/locked up. I used a chunk of masking tape to stabilize the universal, and with one under the car, and the other across the motor, we snuck them both out. Thanks!

20 or however many years ago, this tranny must have run through the mud and beat bad as the torque converter was stuck in the pump. the rebuilder hoisted it with the cherry picker from the TC, and still was not able to get it out.
When he eventually got to the guts, the bands/drums/other stuff were burned up bad. The fact that it was still able to move a bit is pretty remarkable.

727 removal contraption.jpg

727 removed.jpg

Back