69 300 conv project....

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well.... The cosmetic upgrade on Jazebelle is coming along nicely. I started out replacing just the insturment bezel to repair some past owner damage... and ended up removing and upgrading the entire dash, pad and frame, steering column and wheel. (It's tough being anal retentive). All's back in place now.

The front bumper is off to the chrome plater as are the pot metal moldings for the conv boot snaps and the trunk extentions. $1400.00... WHEW!!!!

Monday the car goes in the shop for the needed body panel repairs, passenger side floor pan and likely a trunk floor pan.

She is back to being a running driving car but is stripped of all trim, bumpers, lighting and interior in anticipation of body and paint work.

I'll post some pic's of the body repair and paint when it happens.

Thanks for all the help and advice offered here. It would be a much tougher project without y'all.

Will.

dash installed (Large).jpg

dash installed 2 (Large).jpg

steering wheel reinstalled (Large).jpg

steering column reinstalled (Medium).JPG

dash removed (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
holy heck, lol. tearing apart a whole dash like that scares me. i'm not the best at 'getting things back together'. :D

nice work.

Boot snaps? They didnt originally have boot snaps so investigate that and see where you want to be. Are you fine with the snaps or do you want to be original?

Looking good though........White buckets? I hate you...........

holy heck, lol. tearing apart a whole dash like that scares me. i'm not the best at 'getting things back together'. :D

nice work.

I hear ya, I have the same dash in my Newport; looking at that pic gives me a heart attach.

Dont be shy, they're easier than you think, they can be intimidating but once you get involved it makes sense.

Best way to learn is by doing. We are spoiled in a good way by todays technology. Things like digital cameras can be used for quick reference as you snap pics of the project before during and after, web sites like this one at your disposal for tech support and let's not forget the masking tape and sharpie marker.

I feel your pain brother!!!
I swear to gawd I'll torch the car before I go through this again...

attachment.php

zoj2bt.jpg

It only goes back together one way, stop it.............you know better:tied up:
I couldn't believe what they were forced to do on an assembly installing these Formal dashes. :surprised-005:
Totally inhumane, I tell ya....

projects.....

Best way to learn is by doing. Things like digital cameras can be used for quick reference as you snap pics of the project before during and after, web sites like this one at your disposal for tech support and let's not forget the masking tape and sharpie marker.

Exactly right...!!!! I shoot digital pictures of everything from every angle as I go. It's hard enought to remember where I parked the car..... let alone how to put it back together by memory.
The tech support here is fantastic... thanks guys... and the sharpie paint pencil is what I used to freshen the MPH markers on the cluster.... Plus... 1/4" foil tape for the chrome around the parameter of the dash.

boot snaps....

Boot snaps?

Looking good though........White buckets? I hate you.........

What boot snaps....?

I love the white interior... Even if you hate me....LOL. White top and boot too. I know it's not correct but I am planning on going back together with a red carpet.

really......!!!!

It only goes back together one way,

You'd think so..... I really struggled putting the assembled dash back in place, (everything assembled with the harness in place on the bench). Next day I took another look and found the steering column support studs were not in the proper holes. I had to take the entire dash loose again and remove the studs to get it in the correct location.

And I never mentioned the heater box.... Once the dash was out I found the fiberglass box nearly busted in half from a past attempt to replace the heater core. It had to be removed, clamped and with the help of a lot of JB weld..was repaired and reinstalled.

wow...you really tore into that thing. At least now I know how bad of a time i'll have when it comes time to repl my dash pad, if i can find one. nice to see that it's coming together though.

I absolutely love the tilt/tele wheel.......my car has a tilt, but it's not quite the same.

dash...

wow...you really tore into that thing. At least now I know how bad of a time i'll have when it comes time to repl my dash pad, if i can find one. nice to see that it's coming together though.

It's not as hard as it seems. With the help of a friend you can have the steering column and dash out in a hour or two.
There were only 6 bolts holding the whole assy in place. I disconnected the connectors at the bulkhead and removed the fuse box, (after unpluging everything at the left A-pillar), If your car has A/C there is a 3wire plug in at the heater control with a black wire.... Remove that wire from the plug connector and all else will stay with the dash. You'll need to disconnect the vent cables at the vents also. Access to the dash pad nuts is easy on the bench.

Take lots of pictures during the process.... and it helps to have a factory manual and/or a parts book handy.

Best way to learn is by doing. Things like digital cameras can be used for quick reference as you snap pics of the project before during and after, web sites like this one at your disposal for tech support and let's not forget the masking tape and sharpie marker.

Exactly right...!!!! I shoot digital pictures of everything from every angle as I go. It's hard enought to remember where I parked the car..... let alone how to put it back together by memory.
The tech support here is fantastic... thanks guys... and the sharpie paint pencil is what I used to freshen the MPH markers on the cluster.... Plus... 1/4" foil tape for the chrome around the parameter of the dash.

yeah, I do the digital camera thing too with my trusty I Pod, its just the thought of disturbing 40 plus year old wiring and vacuum tubing that has not seen the sun since the early 70's or even older. I KNOW something is gonna go wrong or not work afterwards.

I love the white interior... Even if you hate me....LOL. White top and boot too. I know it's not correct but I am planning on going back together with a red carpet.

I love white interiors, after 69 they are scarce in Plymouths and Dodges

Boot snaps.....

You said Boot snaps...........

SO I DID....!!!!
One of the things I like about this forum is the information avaliable.

This car came to me with a White boot in beautiful condition. The seller said he thought the top had been replaced over 15 years ago, with little use since. (still in excellent condition). The boot has attaching snaps with coresponding snap retainers screwed into the moldings along the rear and sides of the top well, just like my 65 Coronet 500 conv. I never gave it a second thought.
After you questioned the boot snaps I took a look at the pic's I shot of another 69 300 conv near me and sure enough.... NO BOOT SNAPS....!!!

SO... Being somewhat of a purest, I'm faced with ....Do I locate replacement trim moldings, (very diffacult), and replace the nice boot I have....? All very expensive.
Since my pot metal side moldings are already in the chrome process, (snap holes and all), and the boot I have is so nice i'm going to stick with the snaps for now. This car is being built as a driver and not for the show field.

Question.... When were the snaps deleted in favor of the clips on C-bodys....?

Last edited:
Question.... When were the snaps deleted in favor of the clips on C-bodys....?

Good question, most people dont know the snaps aren't supposed to be there and the snaps assure the top remains tight.

Your question is a good one that I'd like answered too

To the surgeon......

Here goes Jezabelle.... Off to the plastic surgeon, (metal shop), for some badly needed nips & tucks. A couple of weeks and she will be rock solid again.....

chrysler to metal shop (Large).JPG

chrysler to metal shop 2 (Large).jpg

Back