69 440 with missing Engine ID number?

69Chrysler300

Reaction score
Hello,

Does somebody knows why the engine of my car has a missing Engine ID number?

Is this exeptional or usual...?

Thanks!

Engine EIN location.jpg

Engine ID number plate.jpg

Replacement blocks came without any stampings on the pad.
Likely scenario: the original engine was replaced under warranty.

My 340 Dart is that way. It's the next best thing to being numbers matching

Weren't the warrenty blocks installed with a metal tag attached to the front of the block? Can't remember where I saw a story on that with visual aids but it is probably somewhere within several stacks of Mopar Mags.

Warrenty engine tag.

Weren't the warrenty blocks installed with a metal tag attached to the front of the block?

Warrenty short blocks usually had a tag attached that more often then not were disgarded during installation. Those tags are rare these days. There was a 69 Hemi Roadrunner at the BJ auction that had a replacement engine and the tag was included with the documentation.

Ah Ha, thought so!:woohoo::sSig_wootwoot::monkeydance::pink banana:

You gotta celibrate even the smallest victories!

Ah conspiracy theory...I'm with Stan on both of his posts but I'll only make one.

Beginning in 1968 all Mopar B&RB engine blocks have an engine serial number stamped in the left side oil pan rail at the rear corner under the starter opening.

Sample Serial # PT44028650001

Location Engine ID number 69 chrysler 440

Beginning in 1968 all Mopar B&RB engine blocks have an engine serial number stamped in the left side oil pan rail at the rear corner under the starter opening.

Sample Serial # PT44028650001

Do you have a picture?

Thanks!!!!!

Here is an example of the stamping on the pan rail.

IMG_7379.JPG

missing numbers

i had the honor of a full resto of a one owner 67 GTX. same thing, no numbers. told customer it wasn't no. matching. he was in shock. then remembered he went to nam and his brother blew it up under warrenty. that explains. p.s. took 2nd place at world of wheels 1995

Last edited:
Hello,

Does somebody knows why the engine of my car has a missing Engine ID number?

Is this exeptional or usual...?

Thanks!

Some additional info: My 69 chrysler 300 is assembled on 30th August 1968! The engine is casted then months before this date. So its a 1968 440 in fact...

The casting date will always be several months earlier than the build date of the vehicle. The year of your engine (assembly specifications per year) will be specified by a stamping. The boss on a 440 adjacent to the distributor would have the year of your engine as E440 for a '69, D440 for a '68 etc.

Also the VIN stamping on engines was not done until '67, and the early VINs including some '68s were on the rear of the block on top of the bell housing flange.

For the spelling police.... Warranty...

Last edited:
Back