77 Town and Country resto update

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
Car has been stripped and just got primed. We took off the hood and will paint as much of the fenders and firewall that we can. The only surprises so far are how hard the vinyl was to remove (heat did not work) and there was a pile of stress cracks in the hood when we pulled off the insulation. Found lots of lead around the rear quarter windows.

IMG_1947.JPG
Found this crazy repair in the rear left side almost over where the airfoil would be. Can't imagine what they did to have a 3" hole here.

Grocery Getter looks good, will be peeking at mine this week in the shop

Not everyday you see one of these getting attention let alone a wagon :thumbsup:
These cars are works of art. The wagons are especially graceful looking. Of course, they don't always get the right attention at the right time as evidenced by a separate adventure this weekend....

IMG_2084.JPG

These cars are works of art. The wagons are especially graceful looking. Of course, they don't always get the right attention at the right time as evidenced by a separate adventure this weekend....

View attachment 115633
Good that you can view that sort of thing as an "adventure". I believe that is a real part of old car ownership. Even through the 80s and into the 90s we were constantly replacing neglected hoses... These days the dealership may have to order replacement hoses, back then the gas stations I worked at had hundreds on the wall... v-belts too.

How many times have you used a piece of string to find the right v-belt?

Hopefully a cheap fix? Radiator hose?
Go lucky. Happened about 2 miles away from an exit on the I-190. Huge plume of smoke scattered traffic behind. I figured I was safe since the car was running and all the gauges were normal. Rolled off the highway and coasted to stop three blocks from the guy who is painting my wagon. Determined it was a hose and limped over to his place. 30 min fix to shorten the heater hose at the water pump and we were on the road again.

Time to start carrying a small cache of tools and spare parts. But in reality, this is only the second tank of gas on this car. I still have to sort it out. I'll be replacing a lot of stuff this spring.

Back