78 T&C Resto starts today - with removing roof rack and trim...

Are you saying the 4 big Phillips holding in the four main corners to the roof will all be seized?

No...this is what I said: The rest of the screws mounting into the roof...soak with WD-40, PB Blaster...whatever penetrant is your poison. They should come. The V strut screws have been seized on every roof rack I've worked with.

Do they screw into the roof or a crossmember or something substantial? I'm worried about how careful I have to be removing them.

They screw into bosses welded into the roof...pretty substantial.

BTW, great looking car. Do you have pic online somewhere? Any chance you still have a lead on some parts?

Pics online? No...I've posted some here from time to time as this is about the only place that seems to care about late 70's Chryslers...

I have parted several T&Cs as part of my resto (my woodgrain trim is made up of pieces from 3-4 cars) and I amassed my own stash of wagon parts (tailgates, skirts etc.). My wagon parts are not for sale...sorry.

There are a few of us Formal fans here that will help you out.

By the way...it goes without saying that I think you have a beautiful car there.

I got the parts car, but it has no roof rack! This is another rust free west coast car. I know the full history, but no third seat and no roof rack so I found a better one - the yellow one. For now it will donate missing trim etc...
IMG_6627.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG

Good call getting a parts car, although that white one looks too good for that.

Keep the rear bumper guards (heck the whole rear bumper!)... another part that is very hard to get part (also prone to rust through). I have been unsuccessful to find good replacement ones for mine.

I got the parts car, but it has no roof rack! This is another rust free west coast car. I know the full history, but no third seat and no roof rack so I found a better one - the yellow one. For now it will donate missing trim etc...
View attachment 108883 View attachment 108884
Another guy with a parts car that is too good to kill...

FWIW... I will be starting a thread in a few months when I get serious about planning my July adventures for 2017... I am hoping to get around several states during my time up there and trying to find some of the salvage yards that may still have something of interest. I have 3 weeks off, with Carlisle right in the middle... So I am hoping to get up there for the 4th and putz around until the show... then find my way back to FL. I already have a stop in OH I have to make, and this time I will bring tools. When my thread starts, I will offer to look for others while I am there... I am likely to find lots of stuff I don't need or can't use... so why not, I love a junkyard.

FWIW... I will be starting a thread in a few months when I get serious about planning my July adventures for 2017... I am hoping to get around several states during my time up there and trying to find some of the salvage yards that may still have something of interest. I have 3 weeks off, with Carlisle right in the middle... So I am hoping to get up there for the 4th and putz around until the show... then find my way back to FL. I already have a stop in OH I have to make, and this time I will bring tools. When my thread starts, I will offer to look for others while I am there... I am likely to find lots of stuff I don't need or can't use... so why not, I love a junkyard.

Leon's Junkyard in Culpepper, Va.

Be on on the lookout for wasps, snakes, and people playing banjo's....

Read the rules carefully...

If you get there late....you aren't getting in. If you don't get out in time....you are locked in the yard 1-2 hours for lunch. Only walk-in allowed...no vehicles. And there are constant and humongous hills throughout the yard. They will provide lift for major components....extra cost.

DSC02150.JPG

DSC02154.JPG

DSC02168.JPG

DSC02200.JPG

Good call getting a parts car, although that white one looks too good for that.

Keep the rear bumper guards (heck the whole rear bumper!)... another part that is very hard to get part (also prone to rust through). I have been unsuccessful to find good replacement ones for mine.
That is part of what I need off this. Rear bumper, various trim pieces, both mirrors, rear letters. Who knows what else. The white one was parked in '85 with 70K on it. Sat beside a garage in Montrose CO since then. Not a heavily optioned car, it was used to chauffeur realty clients around.

I'll take you up on that offer.

I think when I get done the woody, I will do the whitey too. It just needs more engine and interior work than the woody and I want a woody.

For the record, the screws did come out, but I wouldn't say they go into anything solid. They appear to be mounted with the equivalent of drywall anchors. Most of them stayed in. Shouldn't be too bad to reinstall.

IMG_1544.JPG

Or threaded pop rivets like I mentioned earlier. I had the tool for installing both 1/4"X20 and 3/8"X20 'til I gave it to a Car-Bud when I moved south. Jeep iz-waz still hanging the rear gate tire racks with the 3/8"X20 size

On my car they seemed welded in and all stayed despite some pretty good corrosion.

I'm not that worried about the roof rack. You gave me enough courage to take it off.
IMG_1550.JPG
The plugs largely stayed and they are tight. Now, the clips for the rear door upper trim are a different story. I am guessing these are not just lying around at NAPA...

I'm not that worried about the roof rack. You gave me enough courage to take it off. View attachment 109272 The plugs largely stayed and they are tight. Now, the clips for the rear door upper trim are a different story. I am guessing these are not just lying around at NAPA...
I spent years searching for that same style trim clip.
Yep. You're right. Unobtanium new.

Did you need it for a wagon or was that part used elsewhere? Sometimes helps to know when your looking for parts to know what they come off of.
The same style was used for the rocker panel moldingson all the Formals, only without the bend at the top yours has. In fact I thought it was the same one until I noticed yours had that bend.
I looked at literally a gazillion of them out there. Aftermarket, repops, NOS, you name it. Zip...
But that was several years ago. Maybe your search will come up with something.

Those damn flimsy little tangs get brittle and snap just looking at them.

The same style was used for the rocker panel moldingson all the Formals, only without the bend at the top yours has. In fact I thought it was the same one until I noticed yours had that bend.
I looked at literally a gazillion of them out there. Aftermarket, repops, NOS, you name it. Zip...
But that was several years ago. Maybe your search will come up with something.

Those damn flimsy little tangs get brittle and snap just looking at them.

That bend makes them wagon only. Preserve the tangs you have left as best you can, because you have to re-use them.

Back