78 T&C Resto starts today - with removing roof rack and trim...

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
I am hoping someone here has removed a roof rack and can give me what the watch out for. I have this sense that there will be a pile of dried out plastic and rubber fittings holding it in that I will never be able to replace.

Also, any pointers on removing Window trim - especially those big old fixed rear qtr windows

Mr C did an unbelievable resto of his T&C.
I'm sure when he sees this he eagerly join in and be of great help.

BTW, this thread will be useless without pictures. ☺️

I didn't think a pic of a roof rack would be that exciting. Looks like one of those items that are all installed the same and you either did or didn't and have battle scars. As I was turning the first screw out it occurred to me I have no idea what it is screwed into and then it occurred to me, I might not ever get it back in! I'll post some pics of the window trim that might be a little more generic.

OK, so a photo would have shown that I have a 77 not a 78. Just a little difference there! I got confused with my recent 78 NYB addition.

So I am pulling off all the trim in advance of paint. The roof rack gives me the most concern
IMG_0454.JPG

I didn't think a pic of a roof rack would be that exciting. .
We get excited about anything involved, we're easy.
I have a 69 suburban, which looks to be a lot different then your 77. A parts book is highly recommended before starting your project, as well as a FSM. But once you start, the procedures will usually become self evident.
Good luck with it..... Keep us in the loop with pic's.

Seam like for ever that 1/4"X20" threaded Pop rivets were the fasteners of choice that hold the racks to the roof. I think Mother still uses the same rivets regardless of whether the heads are Allen head or Phillips Head or Torx Head. Remove the screws and leave the threaded rivets. Install some sacrificial fasteners

• in the threaded holes while they're clean before you squirt, primer, or top coat, or clear coat

Where did you get the wagon? Out west?

It appears to be in excellent condition.

Where did you get the wagon? Out west?

It appears to be in excellent condition.
The guy that sold it to me had three different stories on where it came from. He had one story at the auction, another off fleabay, another on kijiji. I followed him from $12,500 to $5,000. When I finally met him I think I got a mix of a couple of them. It is either a southwest US car or from BC in Canada. He had it between 1 and three years and he either drive it or someone shipped it! Either way it proved to be largely complete and rust free as described so I bought it.

Biggest weak point on the 77 Roof rack is the front "V" strut pieces...held in by phillips screws that are almost assuredly rusted in solid. The 2 "V" struts are thin metal oval tubes that are very prone to rust-through. I found a solid set (after much searching) but had to grind off the screw heads to get them off. Then I drilled and tapped the center pedestal and when I re-mounted them I used small hex head self tappers with anti seize- not correct, but at least I'll be able to get them out if I ever need to.

The rest of the screws mounting into the roof...soak with WD-40, PB Blaster...whatever penetrant is your poison. They should come.

I recommend unscrewing from the roof and removing as one piece to permit more efficient work on the "V" pieces.

When I gutted my wagon for blasting, the only glass I left in the car was the cargo compartment side glass. I cut cardboard to fit over it and taped it on. I was then very careful when sand blasting to avoid hurting the glass. I also recommend leaving the windshield in place...no longer available. Formals...talk about unobtanium!

My wagon:

1916645_100117050010321_6308905_n.jpg

Last edited:
also recommend leaving the windshield in place...no longer available. Formals...talk about unobtanium!
Years ago I ask others here if I was paranoid by buying a spare windshield and back glass to put on the shelf even though I didn't need them and windshields were available. I wondered at the time if I really should have done that. Well, we now know the answer.

When I restored my wagon I had a new windshield put in...got a stone chip and crack last summer on the highway. I went to the auto glass shop to look into another replacement and found out about the Formal glass situation..I had to settle for the chip/ crack being sealed at the auto glass shop. Bugs me because you can still see it if you look at it the right way.

Really ticks me off how nothing is available for Formals because they are not as "popular".

I have a NOS windshield stored in Indiana. It is starting to delaminate around the edges.

Biggest weak point on the 77 Roof rack is the front "V" strut pieces...held in by phillips screws that are almost assuredly rusted in solid. The 2 "V" struts are thin metal oval tubes that are very prone to rust-through. I found a solid set (after much searching) but had to grind off the screw heads to get them off. Then I drilled and tapped the center pedestal and when I re-mounted them I used small hex head self tappers with anti seize- not correct, but at least I'll be able to get them out if I ever need to.
View attachment 108819

One v tube is shot. One is solid. I will have to find new ones and a cross member.

Are you saying the 4 big Phillips holding in the four main corners to the roof will all be seized?

Do they screw into the roof or a crossmember or something substantial? I'm worried about how careful I have to be removing them.

I am not removing any glass. I was just going to pull trim to polish and prevent masking lines.

Back