A couple more of Mopar Never say Nevers

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
5 rare and unusual muscle car options you've probably never heard of

1531512772168.jpg
1531512790731.jpg

Apparently the side scoops of the M46 option were very cheap, like Pep Boys add-ons held on with exposed trim screws, and encouraged rust.

I just read about another interesting option today. The 1971 Challenger M28 option was a chrome surround for the front edge of the hood and fenders which made the car look like it had a loop bumper.

I remember there was a similar chrome grille surround available for the front of the 1969 Monaco as well.

That's because all the cars that had that and not in Arizona/New Mexico/So. California all rotted under that trim. You are both from the N.E. those cars were rotted in 7-8 years.

I've seen hundreds of them,which is why I asked Stan if he was joking. I found it difficult to fathom he had never seen one.

I've seen hundreds of them,which is why I asked Stan if he was joking. I found it difficult to fathom he had never seen one.

I've seen the Challenger and Monaco trims at Mopar Nats. Always thought they were aftermarket or something.

What about the '70 Coronet/Super Bee chromed piece that went between the two front loop bumpers, which gave them a more-connected, loop bumper look? OEM or aftermarket? Also seen at Mopar Nats a while back.

CBODY67

Seriously. Never saw one. Could be because I never was an E-body fan and never really got into them.

How many E-body guys know from the bumper the difference between a 74 and a 75 Imperial?

I've seen the Challenger and Monaco trims at Mopar Nats. Always thought they were aftermarket or something.

What about the '70 Coronet/Super Bee chromed piece that went between the two front loop bumpers, which gave them a more-connected, loop bumper look? OEM or aftermarket? Also seen at Mopar Nats a while back.

CBODY67

OEM

Thanks Stan, I learned something new today. I knew about the Buick sun coupe, but the other 4 were new to me.

CBODY67
My 70 Coronet 500 has the chrome panel between the bumpers. I've seen painted ones to on the same model.

CBODY67

OEM but even Coronet guys can’t figure out the application.

Seriously. Never saw one. Could be because I never was an E-body fan and never really got into them.

How many E-body guys know from the bumper the difference between a 74 and a 75 Imperial?

While not into them I've always looked since all Mopars (all old cars for that matter ) of the day have my interest.
Through the 70s 80s and 90s they were plentiful enough to compare side by side.

And No, absolutely not.

70 Coronet center piece should be painted on 500 and R/T models and appropriate badges while left chrome on lower trims

All sales brochures I've seen show the painted center on higher trims and the chrome piece on lower trims.
I could see a bump shop or restoration shop slapping a new bumper on the car and just leaving it chrome.

I also see all these people with the painted piece saying, Wow, I gotta have one of those chrome pieces.
If it is shiney, people will buy it.

Back