Add trim removal guy to the list

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am now an expert a removing trim from a 65-66 C-Body. I have a whole new respect for a real auto paint guy. I have painted my vans over the years, first off they have virtually no trim, but what little they had I would just tape off and go. I thought it was a big deal if I spent nearly a day prepping and taping.

I have spent about a total of 8-10 hours removing the trim so far and I might be a quarter of the way done. It has been a lot of trial and error, but so far so good and I haven’t broken any clips. I think I know the approach on most of the trim left to remove because one side is almost all off, so the rest should go a little smoother.

Here is a shot of the set up I used to remove the fender turn signal indicator. I know you can also reach it basically blind from the engine bay, but since I was removing all the trim here is how I did it.
1. Remove bumper turn signal housing.
2. Remove outer bumper section (not as big a deal as I thought).
3. Remove trim leading up to indicator
4. Use tool set-up similar to one show (wobble socket extensions a must) feeding up from the bumper location and yes I will be changing the working light in the indicator, so it will be a long time before I do this again.
Removing the  turn indicator.sm.jpgRemoving the trim.sm.jpg

Removing the  turn indicator.sm.jpg

Removing the trim.sm.jpg

Were you able to save the plastic clips on top of the fenders or have you found new ones somewhere? Last I heard they were impossible to find.

Were you able to save the plastic clips on top of the fenders or have you found new ones somewhere? Last I heard they were impossible to find.

I have been able to save them all so far, which is good. I can buy used ones from Murray Park, but for $3 a pop I am being extra careful. The only problem has been catching the center plastic rod when tapping them back through and not letting them fall down in the fender. Someone posted here that you can buy some stock plastic dowl rod to replace them. I have that bookmarked somewhere.

Be sure to post when you take the lower windshield trim off. That's something I want to do on mine to get the cowl screen off.

True but a full set of wobble extensions is $15 on sale at Princess Auto.

I spent something like that at Sears. I use mine all the time. I need to get some in 3/8 and 1/2 drive too. One other thing I can seem to live without is the finger ratchets. My set of 1/4 drive wobble extentions came with a finger ratchet too. I gave them as Christmas gifts to my cousin and brother-in-law this year.

Be sure to post when you take the lower windshield trim off. That's something I want to do on mine to get the cowl screen off.

That's funny you said that because I was going to post a question about that very same thing. I have looked at it a couple of times but haven't really attempted to remove it yet. If anyone has any tips they would be appreciated.

I will try anything myself and can usually figure it out, but I always worry that I might break something I can’t replace.

Taking the lower windshield trim off is easy. Open the door and on thr outside end of the trim you'll see a phillips screw. Remove it and the rest of the molding pops right off as it is held in with the metal spring type clips.

Taking the lower windshield trim off is easy. Open the door and on thr outside end of the trim you'll see a phillips screw. Remove it and the rest of the molding pops right off as it is held in with the metal spring type clips.

Thanks, I removed that screw once and then chickened out when I decided that it wouldn’t slide and didn’t want to try and pry on it.

I have been able to save them all so far, which is good. I can buy used ones from Murray Park, but for $3 a pop I am being extra careful. The only problem has been catching the center plastic rod when tapping them back through and not letting them fall down in the fender. Someone posted here that you can buy some stock plastic dowl rod to replace them. I have that bookmarked somewhere.

Good news! Mr. G's sells the nylon plugs for the clips. That's where I bought mine.

Thanks, I removed that screw once and then chickened out when I decided that it wouldn’t slide and didn’t want to try and pry on it.
Use a wide putty knife and just pry up gently. Once you pop the first clip you;ll see how easy it comes off.

As you can see I am far from an expert yet on removing the trim. My last item that has been stumping me is the 300 trim on the front fenders. They are screwed into hard rubber gourmets. No rust breaking fluids will release the screws because they are not rusted into place. I am starting to strip the small Phillips head screws. I have tried prying behind them while unscrewing but not luck.

Should I just drill them out and be done with it?

Front fender detail.sm.jpg

Front fender detail.sm.jpg

You would be best served in removing those when the fender is off the car.

OK a stupid question, are the fenders just bolted on or are there spot welds too that need to be ground off. I haven't really looked at removing the fenders.

I was planning on prepping the 1966 NY for paint can you give me pointers on how to get the trim off and not break the clips?

Back