Add trim removal guy to the list

I was planning on prepping the 1966 NY for paint can you give me pointers on how to get the trim off and not break the clips?
The plastic clips for the top fender and door molding on 65's $ 66's are very hard to save. I live in the desert Sothwest and any car that has been exposed to the extreme heat here for any length of time will be impossible to reuse those clips. One suggestion is to leave the moldings on and mask them. That's what I did with my 66 New Yorker and it looks pretty good.
PA160003.jpgPA170001.jpgPA170004.jpg

PA160003.jpg

PA170001.jpg

PA170004.jpg

My clips are still in good shape, most of it life in a garage helps. I thought of taping them, but once I started and had pretty good success I just rolled with it. I have alot of extra time involved however.

Oh, Chris. That is oh so Maaco...

(Sent using Forum Runner)
Yes it is Stan but if you saw my New Yorker in person you would never know the moldings were masked and not removed. That being said if I knew where to get new clips I definatly would have removed the moldings.

Wouldn't be the first ones that could be had through GM parts sources. Lots of generic parts with German manufacturers as well.

I'd like to see a good sharp close up picture of one with a coin next to it to reference the size.
Ask and you shall receive. The clips to the right are more common top trim clips. The other is the lower waist trim clips.

I have even found 2 other lower trim clips unique to the 300 65-66' and some common metal clips
.Trim clips.jpg

Trim clips.jpg

Thank you that is a really nice color. It's very close to what I imagine the original color of my 1966 NY would have been. I need the clips as the body guy broke most of them (I broke a few myself). I'm hoping Murray has replacements and those photos help a lot. Again, thank you for the photos!

Thank you that is a really nice color. It's very close to what I imagine the original color of my 1966 NY would have been. I need the clips as the body guy broke most of them (I broke a few myself). I'm hoping Murray has replacements and those photos help a lot. Again, thank you for the photos!

That first photo was the one I sent to Murray he sent me the wrong clips. I believe he has plenty of the top trim clips on the left. The ones to the right are only for the 300, the NY is different.
I have yet to get the waist trim clips but he said he had them. Be warned he wants $3 a clip.

Now how can any of those photos help without a coin in the picture for reference?

Back