Add trim removal guy to the list

Makes me wonder in amazement how they did things like this on a fast paced line, over and over, hour after hour, day after day....

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Ya my *** would have been fired days ago. I know the installation is going to go alot faster, I really need to make notes now while it's fresh in my mind, because most of the trim need to be installed in a certain order.

Thank you. I will give him a call Monday. Does he have NOS or used?

Used you will leave a message he is a postman. You might try calling him on Sunday, he may answer. The top clips he must have already off the cars. He charged me $3 a clip for the black and white ones. Save the nuts from you black clips they didn't come with those clips.

Just to make sure of your removal technique, because I didn't break any during the removal. The top trim needs to slide off. My waist and window trim, on my 300, pried off. I had some clips broked because of damage from an accident. Good luck.

Used you will leave a message he is a postman. You might try calling him on Sunday, he may answer. The top clips he must have already off the cars. He charged me $3 a clip for the black and white ones. Save the nuts from you black clips they didn't come with those clips.

Just to make sure of your removal technique, because I didn't break any during the removal. The top trim needs to slide off. My waist and window trim, on my 300, pried off. I had some clips broked because of damage from an accident. Good luck.
Some of the top trim I did slide off. Then I realized that they could have never put them on like that when the car was being built as it would risk scratching the fresh paint.

I know what you mean. I was able to slide all the trim off without scratching the paint, but I loosened up the doors so they sagged and then slide the front fender trim past the door. I can remember if I took the door trim off sliding it forward after the fender trim was off or removed it after I removed the door handle. Now that I have the fender off it would have been really easy.

I just know I have over 40 hours removing trim and I could have bought alot of clips for the time I have spent.

How did you go about removing the clips after you slid the trim off? My clip tools seemed to butcher the hell out of the clips.

How did you go about removing the clips after you slid the trim off? My clip tools seemed to butcher the hell out of the clips.

I use a punch to tap the center rod through catching as many as I can from the other side. Many you can't get to. Then they pry off really easy. Here is where I am told you can buy the rod. http://mrgusa.com/fasteners/

I believe it would come a certain length and then you would cut it to size. I don't think it is listed on his site but he sells them. I looked through the whole site none of our plastic clips are being made new.

Last edited:
Do not try and slide the trim back on. They snap back onto the clips with a decent blow from your palm. There are tabs on the clips which protect the paint during installation. If you try to slide them back on you will most certainly scratch the paint.

Do not try and slide the trim back on. They snap back onto the clips with a decent blow from your palm. There are tabs on the clips which protect the paint during installation. If you try to slide them back on you will most certainly scratch the paint.

Thanks again you just saved me alot of cussing.

I search every page of his catalog. Couldn't find them. But great to know, though. Thanks.

I found 1/4" precut plastic piugs for the exterior trim from Mr. G's site. I also need 3/16 plugs for the lower trim a found a better deal at Grainger. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Rod-Stock-2XPC6 For $1.49 I get 3 feet to cut up with a Dremel tool. I can also get the 3/16" diameter too.

I finally found a cheap alternative and thought I would pass it on to anyone who might need these plugs. I'm sure you would pay more in shipping than the rod. I have a local Grainger that I can buy from, so my total with tax is $3.

Back