Advice Needed - Pulling the 440

Samplingman

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'll be pulling the 440 out of my 300 vert tomorrow, and realized the last time I did something like this was over 30 years ago, any advice would be appreciated. First, where is the best place to bolt up the chains from the hoist? Should I remove the carb, alternator, fan, etc, first? Should I pull the trans with the engine, or do them separate? Speaking of the trans, I've taken out the mounting bolt, but do I need to remove the cross member as well? Should I have the front elevated to make more clearance for the trans? Yes, a lot newbie questions, but I'd rather ask and get opinions then fool around with 1000 lbs of metal swinging through the air.

Nothing has changed since last time...lol.
If you're doing it on your back and don't have a spare yoke for the trans - I'd pull the engine alone, then the trans from the bottom. If you have a spare pull them together.
Pull the radiator, the exh pipes, and the air cleaner - the rest can stay together. I use bolts in the heads as much as possible but the intake bolt holes will work too - just make sure you use longer bolts and washers so they get full thread engagement and can't pull through the chain.

Edit - the crossmember needs to come out if you pull them together, and you should get the whole car at least 6" higher than ride height before you start unbolting...

Thanks, moper. What do you mean by a spare yoke for the trans? Is that to prevent the fluid from spilling out?

Thanks, moper. What do you mean by a spare yoke for the trans? Is that to prevent the fluid from spilling out?

Thats what he is on about yes, slide it into the rear of the trans to prevent tranny fluid spilling. Personally I would pull the transmission and motor together as having to get under the car and unbolt the torque converter can be a pain in the *** laying on dirt. Just remember to disconnect the linkage and speedo cable too. Yes take out that crossmember, it cant hurt to do so.

Yeah, I'll be doing this in the dirt in the back yard. The biggest obstacle will be getting the engine safely in the garage since I don't think I'll be able to roll the hoist back once the weight is on it. My son said just start pulling and we'll unbolt stuff as we need to. Ah, to be 20 again with no fear. You can see by the picture, I will be hoisting the engine and then using a winch to pull the car back. I then plan on placing the engine on a dolly to roll out of the yard. I will be posting pics as the disaster/success unfolds.

I can't tell but is that a air/pneumatic powered wrench or tool I see there?? I got to flip for a air tank and get myself one of them buggers some day.

I can't tell but is that a air/pneumatic powered wrench or tool I see there?? I got to flip for a air tank and get myself one of them buggers some day.

Yep, from my autobody days. Florida Pneumatic, it's 30 years old and works like a champ.

Certainly looks like a nice and quiet suburban backyard where people don't make noise and such....

Certainly looks like a nice and quiet suburban backyard where people don't make noise and such....

...Until I pull out the air hammer, LOL. After 9 am in the spring you can't even hear yourself think from all of the lawn mowers, so I don't get any complaints.

Yeah, I'll be doing this in the dirt in the back yard. The biggest obstacle will be getting the engine safely in the garage since I don't think I'll be able to roll the hoist back once the weight is on it. My son said just start pulling and we'll unbolt stuff as we need to. Ah, to be 20 again with no fear. You can see by the picture, I will be hoisting the engine and then using a winch to pull the car back. I then plan on placing the engine on a dolly to roll out of the yard. I will be posting pics as the disaster/success unfolds.

any reason you cant get the car closer to the garage or in to pull the motor and trans?

Damn, I'd love to help......

My son was huge help, but extra muscle would have been welcome. One of these days maybe have an FCBO-NJ Chapter cook-out/work party.

any reason you cant get the car closer to the garage or in to pull the motor and trans?

Petty much simple physics. A 4000 lbs body without breaks or steering in motion will stay in motion until it hits a tree; and two object cannot occupy the same space at the same time (the garage is filled with car parts!). Yeah, after we were done it would have been easier to get the car at least to the driveway, and then used another car to push back into the yard.

4FBB44DE-543E-4FC4-A6CE-802D9F9AB3EA_zps6vtdf1cl.jpg

Nice work, I'd have loved to help too. It looks warmer there....

Back