Aftermarket muffler close in sound/db as OEM

Same at the back as other 69/73 Cs. It was tight when I finished the cutting. The band clamp saved the effort. I will try to get a photo.
The other option is to have the TTI pipes re bent to a more traditional factory bent. TTI went with the 45 deg angle to reach the shorter Dyno Max muffler.

Walker Exhaust 18381 Imperial/NY/Newport 440 single exh system 1972
Case length 25.0" Case height 4.25" Case width 9.75" Overall length 29.0"
Inlet pipe 2.50" offset to inside Outlet pipe 2.50" center
Oval shape
Specific fit

This is what I put under my '67 Newport 383 car, single exhaust. With the pipes in front and behind it, it fits like it came that way. Looks as OEM as anything else I've seen, even factory OEM Chryslers of that era. Just my observations.

I have a pdf file of the 2015 Walker Exhaust Master Catalog, which has the specs section in the rear. Plus illustrations of the various hangers, flange gaskets, and such, with their specs, too.

On this system, the over-the-axle pipe necks-down to 2.25" diameter from 2.50", with the resonator and tail pipe pieces or resonator eliminator pipe after that. Sound is as expected for an OEM-level system (with the resonator eliminator pipe).

On this particular muffler, it might not be an exact match for the OEM Chrysler muffler, but the length is an exact match, so it goes where the OEM production muffler went. Which works for me.

At the time I put that system under the car, in the earlier 1980s, I had no access to other OEM-level brands, so Walker Exhaust was "it". I wanted factory level stuff under the car, not a muffler-shop-built system so everything would be as it should. Not how some muffler shop person "thought" it should be. At that time, I had only heard references to TTI and their Chrysler-oriented exhaust systems. BTAIM

Just my experiences. Respectfully,
CBODY67

@darth_linux Opinions on the sound you're looking for should depend on personal preference, but for me it depends on the car when selecting the right sound.
I think exhaust sound on Imperials should be quieter than other models, but my 72 has dual exhaust and is slightly louder than I think it should be. My 69 Imperial has single exhaust and is quiet at idle and when out on the road. Since the new resonator was put on, it's even quieter than before.
On the other hand, if looking for a slightly more aggressive sound, TTI 2.5" with the Dynomax mufflers will get you there, and the fit is pretty darn close to perfect out of the box.
When installing the TTI exhaust, I did need to add band clamps on the 71 NYer's set up in front of the mufflers to make the TTI C Body kit fit properly. I suppose it depends on the wheelbase of your car and what size clamp will be needed. From what I experienced with TTI, the only C body kit they offer is for 122" wheelbase. My 71 NYer is 124" and Imperials are even longer at 127", so the band clamp was a necessity unless welding in additional stock to their kit.

TTI 1.jpg

TTI 2.jpg

There was ONE year where the 440/375 C-bodies had a different muffler, Street Hemi in this case, than the normal muffler. It was the 1969 Polara police car with the 440/375 engine. Other parts of the exhaust system were the same. 1968 and 1970 440/375 cars reverted back to the normal C-body mufflers.

In 1969, the 440/375 police Polara set a top speed record of right at 150mph in the Michigan State Police Car Tests. A record that took a mid-1980s IROC Camaro 5.7L TPI to BARELY best. That particular Polara had a 2.7 rear axle ratio and L84-15 tires on it, for a bit of an overall gearing advantage of the normal 3.2 rear axle ratio, in the top speed area.

Sorry for the length. Just my experiences.
CBODY67
Actually that was standard on all 1969 Polara with the 440/375
Not sure why.

Alan

@darth_linux Opinions on the sound you're looking for should depend on personal preference, but for me it depends on the car when selecting the right sound.
I think exhaust sound on Imperials should be quieter than other models, but my 72 has dual exhaust and is slightly louder than I think it should be. My 69 Imperial has single exhaust and is quiet at idle and when out on the road. Since the new resonator was put on, it's even quieter than before.
On the other hand, if looking for a slightly more aggressive sound, TTI 2.5" with the Dynomax mufflers will get you there, and the fit is pretty darn close to perfect out of the box.
When installing the TTI exhaust, I did need to add band clamps on the 71 NYer's set up in front of the mufflers to make the TTI C Body kit fit properly. I suppose it depends on the wheelbase of your car and what size clamp will be needed. From what I experienced with TTI, the only C body kit they offer is for 122" wheelbase. My 71 NYer is 124" and Imperials are even longer at 127", so the band clamp was a necessity unless welding in additional stock to their kit.

View attachment 578288

View attachment 578289

So what muffler is on your 69 Imperial Tim?? Original one or ...............................?

Nope, not the original. I don't know what brand it is, but it's quiet.

He may already have the size you need on that shelf in the background. :lol:

I wonder how long that guy sees spots with his vision after welding with no eye protection. Or how about the other guy. He surely trusts his co-worker with that open flame on the torch. :realcrazy:

Boydsdodge directed me to Motivair, thinking I will stay north of the border and they are actually not far from where I live so it seemed to be the logical place to go. Well they said they could not help me and directed me to Waldron's up in Michigan.
My 67 Newport has the original single exhaust and I decided to stay that way and Waldron's will provide me with a single stock O.E.M. exhaust, not sure how it's going to sound, hopfully quiet.
I ordered the exhaust way back in November as there is a 8 to 12 week lead time.

Boydsdodge directed me to Motivair, thinking I will stay north of the border and they are actually not far from where I live so it seemed to be the logical place to go. Well they said they could not help me and directed me to Waldron's up in Michigan.
My 67 Newport has the original single exhaust and I decided to stay that way and Waldron's will provide me with a single stock O.E.M. exhaust, not sure how it's going to sound, hopfully quiet.
I ordered the exhaust way back in November as there is a 8 to 12 week lead time.
Motivair only manufacturers mufflers and resonators. I only buy Mufflers at Motivair.

I had two original mufflers left on my 58 Imperial, they were very long, 26" if I recall correctly. I think that is part of the OEM sound, that the shorter mufflers cant duplicate.
One supplier who makes the long mufflers is

1960-75 Chrysler Full Size V8 Single Exhaust

Not cheap. But they are pretty helpful on the phone.
Mark
Mark, you can actually buy sections I think, I'm waiting for what's in the photo minus the Y pipe. Going with WaIker connectors to put it together.
Shipping costs are up there, especially to Canada.

I have a few very low mileage C body Chryslers and Imperials and most of them are single exhaust with resonators in the rear… The original mufflers were quite wide and very long longitudinally. Nothing aftermarket is even close…. Even the dual exhaust C bodies I have utilize quite large mufflers and nothing in the aftermarket is even close to them either.

I like my cars to be quiet and … the more quiet the better… A quiet Chrysler or Imperial also contributes to the feel of a luxury vehicle…
I have this same problem. I finally got my ’70 NYer Coupe running in October, and the noise of the TTI dual exhaust I had put on it really bugs me. I don’t want my car to sound like a Road Runner. It used to be a grown man’s car, and I want it to sound like one. - Any chance Steve you could measure the length and width of the OEM dual exhaust mufflers you have? Do they have resonators? I can have those custom made here, but it would be nice to know the OEM specs.

Walker # 17747 is the equivalent to the Hemi muffler. 19 inch body with overall length 25.75 inches.
Thats the closest you will get to the sound of the factory mufflers.
used on borh B and C body cars.
Hope this helps.
I personally use the Dynomax Super Turbo's with the TTi system.

Mark, you can actually buy sections I think, I'm waiting for what's in the photo minus the Y pipe. Going with WaIker connectors to put it together.
Shipping costs are up there, especially to Canada.
Have your exhaust shipped to Niagara Falls NY. I have a shipping address at Kuhns storage. Great guy.
200 Portage Rd Niagara Falls NY. 14303

AFAIK, Dynomax is a division of Walker Exhaust. Both have ”the 19” long Hemi muffler”, #17747. In fact, I think that is what I have in my car right now. And it’s too loud. I might as well have a pair of resonators added, and proceed from there.

Have your exhaust shipped to Niagara Falls NY. I have a shipping address at Kuhns storage. Great guy.
Thanks for the offer, it's all prepaid, maybe next time, getting antsy to get it, install it, and hear it!

I think there's a couple places in Niagara Falls that do that. I shipped some parts to another warehouse once for a Canadian.

One issue though... The box was smashed (thanks UPS!) enough to break an exhaust manifold. Whoever received it never noted the damage and it was 3 weeks before the guy picked it up. I never heard how that played out.. But my dealings with UPS at work told me that too much time had elapsed with no documentation of how the box looked when it was received.

In the video, what was the silver paint they painted that muffler with after it was done? Some sort of zinc?

@polaratherapy
Regarding Motivair:

---------
Custom Mufflers and Resonators for Antiques, Hot Rods, Custom Jobs.
What ever your needs phone us with your Specs.
---------

I didn't know about them - why couldn't they supply your muffler?

Back