Always check the junkyard.

Tons of goodies still on that carcass including the one year Saginaw small block ps pump and pulley .
I agree, lots of parts to be had. If I had the space, I'd end up with my own junkyard, saving corpses with usable parts for the rest of us. The last year or so I've been training my eye to see through the harshness of these left for dead cars. The grille surround was what caught my eye first, someone needs/wants it.

Yeah, the oldies don't show up too often but do occasionally. A couple of years ago there were always a few 80's fifth aves at either yard (my favorite 15x7 wheel). Now the only ones left, it seems are the well kept drivers. I'm not sure how things work down there, up here at the west end one particularly, persistence pays. Alot more people going through the yard and a three month turnover means you have to be quick.

I was there today and 2 fifth aves were there and one caravelle not much left. Lots of LH cars and Neons. A real pretty black cherry 300M was there almost intact ...sad sight

I need a few things for my ‘95 LHS, any of you guys run across these in your travels?

I need a few things for my ‘95 LHS, any of you guys run across these in your travels?

Wow, '95 huh? That's pretty old, a couple more years and you can register it as an antique. But in all seriousness I can't really say, I could walk past a bunch and not even notice. Are there none around your parts? How many miles do have on her?

It’s my winter daily and it has around 156K on it. I haven’t had too much time to source any salvage yard parts for it although I do check Craigslist once in a while. The headlight assemblies have been giving me grief as they are out of adjustment and all the adjusters are inoperable. It seems they saw fit to mold these metal threaded nutserts into the plastic housings and now all of them spin freely in the plastic so removal of the assemblies is impossible.:BangHead: Because I’ve been messing with them with a little too much force I recently lost the driver’s side turn signal housing somewhere between here and Ann Arbor....:mad:
I could also use a brake pedal, not kidding.
The car was givin to me by a client and dear friend when he was no longer able to drive it. Interestingly he had polio and didn’t have use of his arms for almost his entire life. He bought it new and had it converted so he could drive with just his feet so you can imagine how nice the steering wheel is.

It’s my winter daily and it has around 156K on it. I haven’t had too much time to source any salvage yard parts for it although I do check Craigslist once in a while. The headlight assemblies have been giving me grief as they are out of adjustment and all the adjusters are inoperable. It seems they saw fit to mold these metal threaded nutserts into the plastic housings and now all of them spin freely in the plastic so removal of the assemblies is impossible.:BangHead: Because I’ve been messing with them with a little too much force I recently lost the driver’s side turn signal housing somewhere between here and Ann Arbor....:mad:
The car was givin to me by a client and dear friend when he was no longer able to drive it. Interestingly he had polio and didn’t have use of his arms for almost his entire life. He bought it new and had it converted so he could drive with just his feet so you can imagine how nice the steering wheel is.

Wow! That is different, I've known a few people that have had cars converted to hand controls. I have a friend that has a 911 with the hand controls. Never heard of this foot control option. I'll have to look into that, sounds complicated and difficult. Your post illustrates the need for entrepreneurs to capitalize on folks requiring random junkyard parts for their cars, yet not having/finding the time to get to the yard and possibly install said parts. I'm curious, would you respond to say, a kijiji ad offering such a service?

The parts hoarder in me really wants to save this bumper but I don't have a '69 and prefer to stick with '71's. And I know there has been debates regarding trunk mats-you can see it-chances are it's original.

View attachment 152995

Another member wanted to see this - no PMing photos apparently.

WP_20171121_16_00_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20171121_16_00_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20171121_16_00_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20171121_16_00_34_Pro.jpg

Your post illustrates the need for entrepreneurs to capitalize on folks requiring random junkyard parts for their cars, yet not having/finding the time to get to the yard and possibly install said parts. I'm curious, would you respond to say, a kijiji ad offering such a service?
I'd love to do that, but you'd have to do it almost as a charity. If it's a bigger yard, they're online. A smaller yard might not be online, so a lot of folks might not know about them. Aquiring pars represents the biggest challenge. As for getting, transporting, and then potentially installing them, the price could climb to the point, a regular shop would charge close to the same, and give the car owner solid ground if something didn't go right. A bored retired person, or a younger well off person could do it, but I think it would be cost prohibitive. I love the idea though!

Interesting, I would love to see a picture of those controls installed... or even on a bench. I was certified to install hand controls from 2 manufacturers into these car during that era. Got a look at a lot of very ingenious alterations when I went to the local vehicle outfitter for parts too, amazing what they can do to keep someone on the road.

Matt, I would be happy to keep an eye out... the brake pedal may require a couple of pictures or more description to get all you need (unless it's just the pedal itself). I can't say how many LH cars are still in the yards these days. I would call or text to make sure you still need the stuff if I find it.

Thanks gents! It was a pretty kool system they set up for him and it was the second car in his life that he had modified. The first was a mid ‘70s GM product of some sort. It wasn’t cheap either! I may still have the receipt for 10K from the company that did it on the LHS. The gas pedal was moved all the way to the left and the brake pedal arm was heated and bent with a dogleg so that it was also further to the left and the pedal pad itself was cut to about the size of a clutch pedal. Mounted to the floor in place of the gas pedal was a about an 8” gear with a shoe bolted to its outer edge next to a small gear on a shaft that went up parallel with the steering column. At the top of that and just below the dash was another set of gears with one of them having the column as it’s centerline. So he would get in the car and slip his right shoe off, start the car with that foot(key was always in the ignition), step on the brake with his left foot and put it into gear with his right big toe with a push button control box mounted on the lower dash. After that he would just slip his foot into the shoe on the gear to steer and off he went. He also had another push button control box mounted on the door near where his hand was to control turn signals, wipers, windows, horn, etc..
I got rid of the piggyback steering gear immediately and put a factory gas pedal back where it belonged but never did anything with the brake pedal which is kind of far away from the gas. Up until the reverse push button stopped responding I was shifting gears with his control box but now I got rid of that system and hooked the floor shifter back up. I still have some of what I removed so I’ll take some pics and post them up here.

Disc with shoe was mounted to gear on right in top pic. The black box with the Servo was mounted to passenger floor up near the dash so there was still room for passengers feet and thankfully the stock gear selector cable was not modified so putting it back to the stock gear shifter didn’t require any replacement parts.
40E49BF5-1984-4A1F-96DE-F3C767860446.jpeg
C51C3C51-B801-4C52-A468-D26A3BC7CC74.jpeg

I really need to get the left turn signal housing replaced because it’s really not a bad looking car otherwise.
6D50374E-F03C-48C2-9DF2-1FC6F65633C7.jpeg
66C5D5E2-D409-4826-B1C2-A51EF2C7E17B.jpeg
38D9AF8B-49FB-427E-8D0B-DB01854B1101.jpeg

I miss my LHS, glad my neighbor was able to use parts off it when it died. They are nice cars.

Disc with shoe was mounted to gear on right in top pic. The black box with the Servo was mounted to passenger floor up near the dash so there was still room for passengers feet and thankfully the stock gear selector cable was not modified so putting it back to the stock gear shifter didn’t require any replacement parts.
View attachment 153065 View attachment 153066

I really need to get the left turn signal housing replaced because it’s really not a bad looking car otherwise.
View attachment 153067 View attachment 153068 View attachment 153069
I bet the liability insurance costs made up a sizeable chunk of that conversion. Thank you for the tutorial Matt, I will keep on the lookout when I next go scrounging for late model parts.

For the miles your car has on it Matt, it still looks very nice. I have a real soft spot for the LH cars. I was so wowed by them when I saw them and drove them when they came out, I waited until 1997 and bought two of them new. My driver has about 27K miles on it now (piling up fast in 20 years!) and my survivor has about 4500 miles on it now. Here are 2 recent photo of the latter one, that looks a lot like yours. I still haven't driven a newer car I like better.

2004-01-06 07.01.41.jpg
2004-01-06 07.02.31.jpg
2004-01-06 07.02.58.jpg

Last edited:
For the miles your car has on it Matt, it still looks very nice. I have a real soft spot for the LH cars. I was so wowed by them when I saw them and drove them when they came out, I waited until 1997 and bought two of them new. My driver has about 27K miles on it now (piling up fast in 20 years!) and my survivor has about 4500 miles on it now. Here are 2 recent photo of the latter one, that looks a lot like yours, showing all of its wear. I still haven't driven a newer car I like better.

View attachment 153126 View attachment 153127 View attachment 153128
How in the world (aside from having plenty of cars :poke:) have you managed to ONLY put in 4500 miles in 20 years?!? That's like me having a car that only goes to my parents house once s year! Congratulations, I think. I couldn't do it.

How in the world (aside from having plenty of cars :poke:) have you managed to ONLY put in 4500 miles in 20 years?!? That's like me having a car that only goes to my parents house once s year! Congratulations, I think. I couldn't do it.

Yeah, its tough, but I felt someone has to keep a future "barn find" for one of these outstanding vehicles. My other one, burgandy, gets the "real" miles. Every time I get in either one, I just ask myself how a car could be any nicer to drive? A friend of mine has a couple 1996 Buick Roadmasters, and they feel about 10 years older overall to me in design and the driving experience, but they are faster - but comparatively cumbersome.

Yeah, its tough, but I felt someone has to keep a future "barn find" for one of these outstanding vehicles. My other one, burgandy, gets the "real" miles. Every time I get in either one, I just ask myself how a car could be any nicer to drive? A friend of mine has a couple 1996 Buick Roadmasters, and they feel about 10 years older overall to me in design and the driving experience, but they are faster - but comparatively cumbersome.
Are they really much faster, or just have more torque to launch the weight? I never really got to drive the 94-96 versions where I could find out. My 93 Buick was a nice machine, but I was always very pleased with LH cars and 97 was the year to get IMO... IIRC 96 was still bank fire injection, and 97 was sequential. Not going to go verify my memory right now.

I was a big fan of that 3.5L and the entire LH lineup... but 98 killed it for me... ran out and climbed in the first one delivered, and felt like I was in a Stratus... all that wonderful headroom was gone. :realcrazy:... The sunroof models, like Matt's, were even a little tight for my taste...

Back