Another project

That sucks... I mean yea!!! the old stuff gets to come out to play :rolleyes:, but seriously, that sucks :(

It does, but is to be expected.... we tried avoiding it with the stud bolts, and torquing the head down some more. It worked for a little while at least...

I’ve got the cowl of the dually torn apart for some wiper repair, guess I need to find a new wiper motor quick now lol

Blessing in disguise ? Hopefully you planning on doing this anyway

Yes, it needed to be done eventually. The wallet is not too happy about it at the moment though lol. Oh well....

This, and the trans are the 2 biggies I was waiting for failure. Trans is still holding up.

This will be much cheaper then the trans though! Tranny is gonna be some $$.

Dropped her off with my buddy at his shop. Heads getting removed, and going out for a resurface, along with getting O ringed to support future power adders.

View attachment 260600
I did a 6.0 Ford and I had the heads O-ringed, MLS gaskets with ARP studs. I don't know if that vintage Cummins uses a MLS gasket or not, MLS should be used in my opinion though if available.

I did a 6.0 Ford and I had the heads O-ringed, MLS gaskets with ARP studs. I don't know if that vintage Cummins uses a MLS gasket or not, MLS should be used in my opinion though if available.

I’m not sure what brand he was going with. He told me, but I forgot.... I trust him though, he’s been doing the Cummins stuff for many years now. All his shop deals with.

Hopefully he will be able to get to it this next week.

Just for you Jeff! The old stuff out and about today. Still waiting on parts for the dually. Looks like it’s the car this week.

6668CD9A-36B8-43CA-8ECD-76CD97151024.jpeg
4A575CB3-DF46-4E22-8021-CD99857551FB.jpeg

Stopped by my buddies place today. It’s taking forever! But the truck is finally getting worked on. Head should be getting back from the machine shop tomorrow hopefully.

Good news though! It was just the head gasket, and nothing else. The engine still looks brand new inside, and everything is perfect. Great to hear!

Does look like the head gasket has been replaced once before however. Looks to be an old Felpro gasket, and not factory. Buddy said he’s had a few trucks including his own with felpro gaskets that have done the same thing.

I’m looking forward to having my truck back! I miss it. The car did good, but I think it has a loose ground somewhere that I need to find. Had a couple goofy electrical things pop up after a week of driving it. The dually has been sitting idle in the garage. Have had no time to mess with em. Just been driving the ‘03. Feels completely gutless now driving it again! LOL

Finally!! The beast is back!! Running good!

Had to install some new stud bolts for the head again. Seemed like they didn’t want to be re used... lol he tried torqueing them back in place, and a few of em were not having it.

E3BA0C44-B97F-4B13-9979-98717EB517C5.jpeg

A2836295-A2BB-4786-8294-929BC81D08DB.jpeg

She needs a bath pretty bad. The new radio didn’t like being without power for this long. Had to pull it out, and reset it. All systems a go otherwise.

23B0E2CE-D4E1-417C-A065-3E86392A341E.jpeg

Happy to have her back.

Rapped and pillaged the ‘03 for its tires. The tires on the ‘96 were showing a bit of wear. Transferred em as rollers over to the ‘03 for the time being.

The ‘96 looks great now! Only rubs slightly on full lock on the control arms.

5263F353-2ADB-4626-87CC-DBF25C83F15C.jpeg
09C61FE9-A307-4D15-AE62-7EF9FD289AC2.jpeg
85E60A29-B619-4FDB-ADFB-9BA0F0F60D0B.jpeg
3E52D851-58B9-4E7F-9A67-78B34BE512F1.jpeg
9CD5D41C-1684-4FC5-B6EC-D459697AE441.jpeg
FD0AAE3C-89E9-4F8E-BFB6-2BD695A0035A.jpeg
764C54E1-E31F-41AA-9FDA-19B8FF9B0C75.jpeg
BE9C693D-F739-4E0F-86DC-00977EB3905C.jpeg

My family was down for a week, and we went to the local fair. There was a decal guy there. Couldn’t help myself. Had to get the big green C lol.

The ‘03 looks a little goofy now with the small tires, and lift.

Figured I’d do a little report for anyone who may be interested in going the raptor liner route...

It’s been going on 7 months now, and I’ve been very pleased with it. No surprising scratches or chips I’ve come across, except for 2 places, and it’s not the bedliners doing.

I’ve been very lazy at detailing her. The most she’s got is a pressure wash with the foam cannon. No scrubbing or anything. I gave her a good cleaning today finally.

I accidentally backed into some trees pulling out of work one day. It left a couple deep gouges in the coating on the tailgate. At first they were pretty noticeable, but after a wash and some time they are nearly invisible now. The coating is pretty resilient.

3497CF70-45D7-4DC6-93B8-9162459C8DDD.jpeg

E40AABBC-81A7-4A7E-ACAD-46AC9ABA863A.jpeg

Another spot is my own doing I believe. While pressure washing her, I had a little piece come off by the grill. I don’t think I prepped enough in the spot, as it looks like a little primer came out with it.

915EFC6D-A0BC-4C42-96DF-77252E5CC836.jpeg

I can’t say enough good about the hydrosilex. It’s been a great product! Still doing its job. It is about time for needing another coat of it. It still repels water, and can tell there’s a barrier there, but stuff doesn’t come right off as easy as it used to.

I overfilled it one day, and had a streak under the fuel door. Took some ZEP degreaser to it, and got rid of it. Can tell with water it also washed the hydrosilex away, but I still have a few squirts of hidrosilex left, that I’ll hit it with.

Amazingly, and thankfully the soot from the exhaust still washes away very easily. Need to get another coat on before it doesn’t lol.

8B4FA742-5AE6-4B9C-803A-6B152D44E117.jpeg

The trim paint I used on the bumper isn’t holding up as well.... bunch of nicks in it from the road. Want to install a different bumper anyway, so not too worried about it...

74BBE301-258B-4EBE-8CEA-1C66E22092EF.jpeg

33FF6B12-3D3E-4467-8E70-206EAFA9ABB0.jpeg

It’s love bug season here! If you’ve never had to deal with em, consider yourself mighty lucky! Little bastards are nasty! They will stain your paint quicker then you can blink. The liner is holding up to them very nicely though. The windshield is a different story lol

A little maintenance for the long haul to Carlisle been happening. New belt tensioner installed. She has eaten a couple belts since I’ve had it. Only when the A/C was in use. The new tensioner seems to have cured it. Knowing damn well we will need the a/c for the trip lol.

Stole the Brake controller from the dually, and installed in this one. Wiring is in much better shape on this one vs. the ‘78! Don’t think we’ll keep blowing a light fuse every 10 mins, like the dually was.

Also got the box reinstalled in the bed. Wanted to paint it, but will have to do for now, along with a few other little things here and there.

I’ve been hemming and hawing over getting myself a new little car hauler. Planning on borrowing the one from work, but it’s about time I get my own. Lord knows I need one lol. We’ll see.....

4D2422AA-F260-4FA8-98A1-CD1B750DCA3F.jpeg
E6444036-A5BF-440C-A3FE-98FA90A3876A.jpeg
565879C9-CB3A-4273-B000-10A116068039.jpeg

Day 1 of the fun after Carlisle lol. Got some parts in during the week.

First up was the fuel screen for the lift pump. Yuck!! Think this is its first time being cleaned since new. New fuel filter, and fuel water sensor also installed.

Took her out for a test drive. Still some surging, and low power on high end. She’ll get up to 75mph, and run outa steam....

Borrowed a spare overflow valve for the P pump from my buddy to try out. Truck seems to like it. Much more responsive off idle with it. Think the spring in the original valve has gone weak.

2nd test drive goes much better. The surging seems to have gone away, however high end power is still lacking. Get up to 75mph much better, but any over, no more steam. Still weak power when flat footed to the floor.

Tomorrow gonna drop the tank, and clean out the pickup, and screen, as well as try to clear out the lines best I can. Hopefully this is all she needs....

Have a new torkteknology adjustable valve on order, to replace mine.

B8E2AC85-54A9-4D3B-A4CF-7B58FC928997.jpeg

59C7A047-ADB5-4CD5-A8F6-16D6232655F5.jpeg
63CE8F17-B3A0-4D27-9E4E-57D0A15A781E.jpeg

Charge air leak?
Is your egt hot?

EGT’s?? You pay attention to that stuff?? LOL No gauges yet... they are on the list of future purchases.

No, had to be fuel related as to how it was running. Air intake seemed fine, and smoke clearing right up.

Day 2

We found it! So much fun dropping the tank! Yuck! May be the first time down since new?? Idk... what a clogged mess! Surprised it ran at all.

Emptied fuel, and cleaned out tank. Both fuel and tank were pretty clean. Seems like the pickup must have sucked up all the trash. Sucked saying goodbye to that fuel!! $93 to fill it back up again. No more surging, and power all the way through.

Also got the headlight switched replaced. Took 2 runs up to town, cause god forbid the first new switch you buy work outa the box! We are back in business though!

If I had an extra hand I would have locked the converter up for a little more fun!

6BC084F6-D977-4DFE-B795-D84CA28B9564.jpeg
73F7F215-C659-4B61-A259-88C8288B0099.jpeg
778B8D50-2F22-4AEC-AE01-97DCFD03E8E9.jpeg
AFF9CA06-54CB-46F1-ADB1-D32E1AD69B3D.jpeg
5E298D29-7B2A-4C95-9599-7A68C248D4BC.jpeg

Glad that you found it, the screen was really nasty. Were both pieces screen? Or is the inner filter a paper element? All the gas trucks of that vintage had a large paper filter on the bottom of the sender.

Glad that you found it, the screen was really nasty. Were both pieces screen? Or is the inner filter a paper element? All the gas trucks of that vintage had a large paper filter on the bottom of the sender.

No paper element on this one. It has the screen, then a check valve behind the screen (black puck looking piece) to retain fuel on hills, and what not. The 3 little inlets on the check valve were clogged, as well as the bottom of the pickup tube behind the valve.

It runs from the pickup to the lift pump screen (pictured yesterday) then to the fuel filter. Screened twice, then run through a filter. As nasty as it is, seems like they all did their job though luckily. Hopefully it’ll last another 20 years before the next cleaning lol.

EGT’s?? You pay attention to that stuff?? LOL No gauges yet... they are on the list of future purchases.

No, had to be fuel related as to how it was running. Air intake seemed fine, and smoke clearing right up.

Day 2

We found it! So much fun dropping the tank! Yuck! May be the first time down since new?? Idk... what a clogged mess! Surprised it ran at all.

Emptied fuel, and cleaned out tank. Both fuel and tank were pretty clean. Seems like the pickup must have sucked up all the trash. Sucked saying goodbye to that fuel!! $93 to fill it back up again. No more surging, and power all the way through.

Also got the headlight switched replaced. Took 2 runs up to town, cause god forbid the first new switch you buy work outa the box! We are back in business though!

If I had an extra hand I would have locked the converter up for a little more fun!

View attachment 303503 View attachment 303504 View attachment 303505 View attachment 303506 View attachment 303516

Is that a used condom in there??? Where TF has this truck been?

Back