Another South African 67 Dodge Monaco - suggested upgrades

Jayce

Reaction score
Hello All.

A mate of mine on this forum, Ters, inadvertently got me hooked on C-bodies.

Although I am only getting her next week Friday, I would love suggestions on upgrades that you would do to make it a very reliable daily driver.... And yes I love driving my classics everyday, or using them as my primary source of transportation.

attached are some pics of my Monaco.

20140904_172648_resized_1.jpg

20140904_172546_resized.jpg

20151204_121130_resized[2].jpg

Clean all your electrical connections at the bulkhead and coat them with a light coating of terminal goop before reconnecting.

Welcome. If you need any parts I ship to South Africa from the mid Atlantic east coast USA. Don't specifically have a Monaco I'm currently parting, but I have many other C body parts & maybe something you can use. Please check out my Facebook page C body Bob

Clean all your electrical connections at the bulkhead and coat them with a light coating of terminal goop before reconnecting.

Did the cleaning of all the electrical connections, all lights immediately brighter.

However she runs incredibly rough. Dizzy bushes redone, new rotor, cap and points gapped correctly.

No difference. Timing also done to about 7 degrees BTDC. Also has a constant and steady miss. Under load very little power. Need to check spark plugs and gap those correctly.

whilst investigating causes, found carb mounting nuts on the loose side, then checked intake manifold bolts, very loose. Whilst tightening to spec, the two near the front sheared. Luckily above the cylinder block so should be easy extract.

Noticed fuel staining around rear most cylinders, which seems to indicate that I had quite a big leak between the manifold and cylinder head.

Any other ideas on constant miss and poor running would be appreciated. Think I will have the carb (original 2 barrel) rebuilt too, adjusting idle mixture screws seemed to only have a 30rpm effect on idle (550) regardless of going lean or rich.

Back