Backing plates for Imperial

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I'm swapping out my tapered axle for a 1965 Imperial axle. I'm trying to find a modern drum and backing plates to use that will fit. Anyone have an idea of what to use? I'm looking for a 11" by 2 1/2".

Any parts store equivalent? Thanks!

Hey I'm swapping out my tapered axle for a 1965 Imperial axle. I'm trying to find a modern drum and backing plates to use that will fit. Anyone have an idea of what to use? I'm looking for a 11" by 2 1/2".

Any parts store equivalent? Thanks!

You would probably want to find a '65-'69 C-Body housing assembly and have the spring perches relocated if necessary. The '65 Imperial had a 62" drum to drum measurement with tapered axles, the '65-'69 C-Body used a 61.75" drum to drum measurement with a standard flange axle, so it's pretty close. One potential issue is that the Imperial runs a 5x5.5 bolt pattern which is larger than the Chrysler bolt pattern, so you would need to use Chrysler wheels on the rear.
There used to be a conversion axle setup to get rid of the tapered axles to fit the B-Body cars, but I don't think anybody made them for D-Bodies.

Dave

I COULD BE WRONG BUT...
Uncle Dave Please Forgive Me for Correcting You,
But From My Experience the 65-66 are the Narrow measurement.. 60.5 - 61 Inches.
After that the 67-68 are around 62.5 inches & the 69-72 are around 64 Inches all this with a rough Tape measurement on Plymouth Fury / Dodge Phoenix.
I'm actually planning on using a 68 Assembly under My 69 for extra Tyre Clearance (275 x 75 x 15)
I have for some time been noting your Advice & Expertise when Helping other Members and have been the Beneficiary on a couple of Occasions.
So I hope you won't Mind me sticking my Nose in here.
(And I've been Told That you're Not Only Knowledgeable But Good Looking too)
Kind Regards Tony.M

Here is the chart from Big Block Mopar, always possible they got it wrong. As with all things, best to measure first and then search housings. Click on save.pdf, not the icon.

Dave

Attachments

• Save.PDF
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
G'Day Dave,
I'm Always a Little Nervous about giving you Fellas Advice.
What was Standard in the Mystical Land of OZ can Sometimes be Somewhat Different to what you Fellas had. Plus you had a Far Vaster Range.
But We did indeed have the Three Different Wheel Track measurements Through 65 - 72.
Once Again I Bow to your Expertise.
Regards Tony.M

'65 and '66 Imps have flanged axles. They use 11"x 3" shoes. Did you only get the axle housing w/o backing plates and drums?

Back