Imperial drum backing plates the same? 63-66?

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if imperial rear backing plates are the same from 1963 to 1966?

I know the drums are different with the different axle styles, but the interchange manual I have lists the shoes as the same. The book just doesn't list anything about backing plates.

Thank you in advance!

As far as the backing plates ("Support" in Chrysler Parts-speak) are interesting! The Imperial items (which are for 11x3 brakes) are the same as the C-body 11x3 brakes in the 1964-66 year range. ONLY thing is that the 1964 supports have a different part number than the '65 and '66 items. Not sure why they might be different in the two later years, possibly due to the parking brake differences?

The part number sequence for the '65-'66 items tends to indicate 1964 as the base year, as the '64 item seems to indicate 1962 as the base model year. Or perhaps they were using the calendar year for such things back then? I have no way of tracking if the 1964 item might have changed part numbers to the 1965-66 item, though. So, they could all be the same, possibly?

To me, the surprising thing is that the backing plate "supports" were the same as the C-body 11x3 rear brakes, on one hand. On the other hand, not surprising as "common" items cost less to do.

Another surprising thing I stumbled across while scrolling through the '65 parts book was that for TorqueFlites that year, all of the 727 torque converters were the same, except for the 426HEMI engine. 11.75" diameter. Only one 904 converter, which was 10.75" diameter. The 426HEMI was a different part number. Or course, the more power in front of the converter, the higher the stall speed, just the way things work, for a given size. NOW, I'll have to check later model years on this issue!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I think they changed stuff when they went from tapered axles to flanged. B-Body backing plates changed from '64 to '65.

Back