Ball joints

JO 753

Reaction score
I've had 72 New Yorkers, Imperials and several other C body modelz since 1981.

Wun uv the common problemz I've had iz that the ball joints get sloppy very quickly.

Last yir, I desided to take the steering arm joint apart on an old spare and found that it did not hav a solid ball! Its less than haf a ball with a plate & a spring behind it. Obviously this iz intended to compensate for wear, but its a bad idea kuz it effectively eliminates the capasity to handle side impacts. No wunder why I'd put on a new wun and within 6 months it woud be sloppy agen.

So I made a new stainless steel ball and brass socket and installed them in the arm. (I own a machine shop)

Then I found that sum uv the lower ball joints are similar, with a split ball dezine. (I think it wuz sum time around 73 that they swiched to this dezine, kuz I hav joints that are solid ball.) It duznt take long if you are a hard driver in Chicago to turn thoze joints to junk. Since a sufficient impact will slide the upper haf uv the assembled ball in relation to the lower haf, it will expand the socket. The nylon can only giv so much, so a medium size pot hole iz enuf to ruin it. So I made an SS ball and 7075-T7 aluminum socket and rebilt it.

Herez the new ball, the old wun and a 2 piece old wun:

MAN BoL JOENT.JPG

Herez the control arm befor assembly:
NYQ JOENT 1.jpg

Herez the old wun off the car & the complete rebilt wun:
IMG_3437.JPG

Notis the aluminum nut. Stainless steel will weld itself to any kind uv steel under pressure, so the nut needz to be sumthing else.

Looks as if you could have a 9002 shop. Nice.

Actually the spelling out the words phonetically makes it more difficult to read, btw.

Wuts a 9002 shop?

Sorry about the spelling. Long story going way back to 1066.

Usually, wen you go in for an alinement they wont notis how bad the lower joints are kuz the wate uv the car seats the ball in the lower haf uv the socket. The teknician will push on the top uv the tire to reveal play in the upper control arm joint and bushingz, but unless he jacks up the weel by the lower arm, he wont know the lower joints are shot. So you spend 100 bucks for an alinement & its still all over the road.

I cleaned up the old wun and its got 3/8" play!

SharkJO iz a nitemare maker.

Sorry about the hedake, live4theking. Wen you lern how much regular spelling costs you & everybody, maybe you will spell like this also.

by the smile on your face, everything went well!
now if we can get you to rebuild steering boxes we'll be set.

by the smile on your face, everything went well!
now if we can get you to rebuild steering boxes we'll be set.

I coud do that!

I know they are available, but becauze you rote that, I assume therez a problem. Iz A-1 Cardone the only available rebilder*?

*rebilt from Cardone = they yanked it out uv a junker, dropped it in a degreaser tank, painted it black, stuck it in a box.

Jer, I can understand easily. J.O.? One sentence and I get a petit-mal seizure...

Hooz Olsen?

An absens sezuire! Thats not the worst reaction ever to semi-fonetic spelling. Sum peepl drop into a weird Defender Of The Queen's English mode and never recover. Usually its sumwun who haz a degree in English or iz a victim uv the Whole Word literacy training method. Read the Plain Text pajez to lern about the expensez created by regular English.

I looked up the 9002 you mentioned. ISO 9002 quality assurance rigamarole. I used to work az a temp tool maker and sum uv the plasez were going nuts with that. We woud spend az much time documenting az we were making parts! Even if they were prototypes! The Lumbergz uv the world luv that kind uv stuff.

Back