Barn Find Sport Fury GT @ MCACN Show 2019

Right, specific where those who appreciate what it is appreciate the whole thing not just the mechanics.
Oh now I understand dirt and bird **** are a integral part of the story.
I have a Peterbilt here with dirt, bird crap, moss growing on it. Does that make it more interesting, no makes it a broken truck.
Please, this is a stupid tv drama you made up in your head.

Oh now I understand dirt and bird **** are a integral part of the story.
I have a Peterbilt here with dirt, bird crap, moss growing on it. Does that make it more interesting, no makes it a broken truck.
Please, this is a stupid tv drama you made up in your head.

No, it's a piece of junk truck rotting in your yard.
This car holds value and history to it. People like barn finds as found. Obviously many many people or it wouldn't be such a popular thing ( barn finds)

If that were a 1963 B Mack , Or a 1956 Maxim fire truck barn find I'd feel the same passion to see it as found. There's a forest there Dave, not just a tree.

Would be a cool car if I could see it.

I figured you would have told me to wash the damn truck. I guess you really do like dirty vehicles.

Ernie Facepalm.png

Wow, battle of the Dave's...

This bird had a dead raccoon in the trunk. I think a "Barnfind" car, should be photographed extensively as found, well documented. Then cleaned up and restored. I love seeing it as found but i love seeing it brought back to new again too.

20190712_174910.jpg

It's "barnfind" in the original setting, pull it out and it's "barnfound" and there is no further sense in keeping it that way. From this Point of view Dave's truck is superior. :D

How many times do we read of a car for sale, fresh 25 year hibernation find all cleaned up? My first thought is why did you clean it , I am more interested In the as found condition. That story to me is more interesting than a clean car.
I admire the efforts it takes to keep a car in as found condition.

So how long would it take you to clean it up?
All of your cars were and are very nice well kept cars...

Just how long would you keep that dirty mess in your well kept garage Dave?

Or would you just bring it home document the crap out of it and wash it?

It's kind of neat to see it like this, but at the same time I'd rather see it cleaned up and running. Its not in the barn anymore...

But wait...when was it in a barn? It was clearly sitting in a field in pics posted earlier in the thread...where did this dust come from?

It's kind of neat to see it like this, but at the same time I'd rather see it cleaned up and running. Its not in the barn anymore...
It's not in the barn, and you get to see it dirty. Down the road, you'll probably see it cleaned up and running. Best of both worlds.

So how long would it take you to clean it up?
All of your cars were and are very nice well kept cars...

Just how long would you keep that dirty mess in your well kept garage Dave?

Or would you just bring it home document the crap out of it and wash it?

But wait...when was it in a barn? It was clearly sitting in a field in pics posted earlier in the thread...where did this dust come from?

Uh-oh...Dad's guna be pissed...

facepalm darwin.jpg

:poke::poke:

You are all missing the point here.
I know I am... :realcrazy:
Bird droppings are what is known as provenance in the barn find world. It legitimizes the story in a world of fake news.
With only a box of cheerios, I can attract enough bird **** to hide the actual color of a car.
How many times do we read of a car for sale, fresh 25 year hibernation find all cleaned up? My first thought is why did you clean it , I am more interested In the as found condition. That story to me is more interesting than a clean car.
I admire the efforts it takes to keep a car in as found condition.
Take a picture... done.
But I’d still photodocument the find, probably even take a high quality video and then remove all of the potential airborne disease causing barn sediments inside and out with a bucket of warm soapy water and a good old fashioned hose.
:thankyou:
Aside from self preservation, there's no way to tell just how damaged the body and paint is from all of that dust, rodent #1 and #2 leavings, cat piss and whatever else used this as a portajohn over the years.
But it makes my point. Wash the damn car. You don't have to make it spotless, but hauling it around in a enclosed trailer worrying about some dust that might get blown off in the process is ridiculous.
I have grown to HATE certain terms that have become stupidly popular. Barnfind and patina are right at the top of the list. As much as I want to kick someone in the goodiebag for using those words, I honestly don't think I could stop myself if I saw a new trend to replicate the buildup of crap and neglect on this car.
Wow, battle of the Dave's...

This bird had a dead raccoon in the trunk. I think a "Barnfind" car, should be photographed extensively as found, well documented. Then cleaned up and restored. I love seeing it as found but i love seeing it brought back to new again too.

View attachment 335093
I wanted to smack the dog poop outta that guy... The one thing I will give him credit for, by not doing a thing other than airing up the tires, he has probably preserved the most value in that car for the next idiot who wants to feel like he's found the holy grail too.

Would I look at Miss Belvedere if she showed up at Carlisle? Yes! Would I pay money or go out of my way? Hell no. Other than whatever advertising value the folks cleaning the crap off of her thought they might gain, I think the clean up was a waste of time too. BUT, only because she was so obviously ruined... which version should they have used for display? Better yet... how long until she is viewed as just another big piece of scrap metal and disposed of as such? The history surrounding this car won't hold appeal forever... and I can easily believe there will be a time when stuff becomes "old" rather than "vintage" and folks start to dispose of it as trash again.
12745594_f520.jpg

55849ebf3d405.image.jpg

In my mind... this is too good to not save. I suppose letting the bird poop etch into the car another year won't make too much difference, but some azzole tries to clear over it to keep the look, I am going for the field goal.
sfgt-1-jpeg.jpg

To me, a barn found car that is kept that way doesn't mean the owner is trying to preserve the car 'as is', it just means he want to have his cake and eat it to. He wants to be able to parade it around and 'show' it off without having to spend any money on it. No money on the body, no money on the interior, no money on the mechanics, not even the little money or physical effort it takes to wash it. The owner is just cheap. Too cheap (and driving it around in an enclosed trailer doesn't mean a thing)! Give the car to someone who will truly give it the respect, honor, and restoration it deserves and thus proves he truly deserves the car. Agree or disagree, that's my opinion on the subject. Others can keep on arguing on the subject if they want. :lol::popcorn::popcorn:

To me, a barn found car that is kept that way doesn't mean the owner is trying to preserve the car 'as is', it just means he want to have his cake and eat it to. He wants to be able to parade it around and 'show' it off without having to spend any money on it. No money on the body, no money on the interior, no money on the mechanics, not even the little money or physical effort it takes to wash it. The owner is just cheap. Too cheap (and driving it around in an enclosed trailer doesn't mean a thing)! Give the car to someone who will truly give it the respect, honor, and restoration it deserves and thus proves he truly deserves the car. Agree or disagree, that's my opinion on the subject. Others can keep on arguing on the subject if they want. :lol::popcorn::popcorn:
You have no idea who owns this car, do you?

No, can't say that I do. I guess you're going to tell me it's someone who has meticulously restored a number of cars. If so, Great. Kudos to him, I'm happy to hear it. But that means he is probably an exception, not the rule. I also would understand if a barn find was paraded on a the show circuit for a full season/year. The finder deserves some recognition for their discovery. But once that circuit is made, what purpose is there in doing it again the next year/season or the next or -? That's when I have to start questioning their motives.

Disclaimer: My intention is not to insult or offend anyone on this forum. I don't even mean to be disrespectful, although I know my wife tells me I can come across a lot stronger than I intend and I try to keep that in mind - with mixed results. So if I have inadvertently offended anyone I would also like to take this time to apologize with hat in hand. No offense is intended, it's just my opinion based on my own personal experience/observations.

Back