beter late than never...

PM27G0D

Reaction score
Hi all,
I got so into posting questions with my new membership status yesterday, that I sorta forgot to come here and introduce myself.
I live just west of Richmond, VA and have had B and E body Mopars most of my life. I always liked the Cs, and when a '70 Fury convertible came to my attention on eBay on 2006, I went for it.
I've had so much fun with this thing....probably drive it more than all my other Mopars combined...partially because it's just such a nice comfortable ride, and partially because I've gotten increasingly paranoid about driving my other Mopars out of fear of something (expensive) happening to them.
About five years ago, I ran across another C body on eBay that I just had to have. It's a '69 2 door Fury III...total survivor, with 9k miles. Original everything including tires, and to top it off, it's a 440hp with disc brakes. This is one of the most original untouched cars I have ever seen,and am absolutely in love with it. Plus, it runs like crazy!
Here's a couple of pics of my Cs:
Fury comes home 2006 007.jpg1969 Fury III 014 (Large).jpgengine and interior 004.jpg

Fury comes home 2006 007.jpg

1969 Fury III 014 (Large).jpg

engine and interior 004.jpg

Nice cars , like the blue one , even it isn,t a fast-top.

Very nice cars...welcome

So you're the lucky S O B that bought the Fury......... we discussed it at length here....Beautiful cars

I bought it after it amazingly didn't sell on eBay. Had long discussions with the owner, who was a Pontiac guy....who insisted it was even better than the pictures. Of course, they all say that!
I told him I'd drive up there with my trailer, and if it was as good as he said it was, I was going to take it home for a price we had agreed on beforehand.
It was indeed, better...one of the best survivors I have ever seen. I would have bought it had it been a 6 cylinder, 4 door in this immaculate condition. To be a non-AC 440hp with disc brakes, just is the icing on the cake.
I have "undone" a couple of small things the original owner did. He installed a Radio Shack electronic ignition system..unfortunately, discarding the original plug wires when he did it. He also changed out the original AVS carb with a smaller 383 AVS...apparently to improve the gas mileage during the gas crunch.
When he ordered the car, he neglected to get the full wheel covers he wanted, so it came with body color wheels and dog dishes. He bought some full covers from the parts counter, and put the original dogdishes in a grocery bag, and I got them with the car.
It still had the original tires on it when I got it, and I bought some reproduction tires like them. I didn't want to disturb the original tires, wheels, and balance weights, so I bought another set of wheels and painted them B7, and installed the original dogdishes.

Sure....and if it were a 71 Polara you'd have had to get through me.... BUT do you drive it? I couldnt. I have something I don't wanna drive and it sucks. It's a nice problem to have but it sucks just the same

I do drive it...some. It had 8300 miles when I got it, and now has right at 9k after about seven years of owning it. I enjoy driving it because it's so "incognito", and I can drive it around in relative obscurity...which I like.
I have more trouble driving my other cars these days. I've had them so long, that I remember being able to drive them "anywhere" and be totally obscure and just enjoy myself and the memories. I haven't been able to do that for quite a few years, since Mopar Madness has gone mainstream. I have taken to exercising them very early on Sunday mornings out in the country before most people are up and driving around.

I call them church goers [religious freaks] and diner dwellers. Out by six with the car and home by 10.

I started a thread here a few years ago with my Sunday morning journey photos.....Very relaxing times

. He also changed out the original AVS carb with a smaller 383 AVS...apparently to improve the gas mileage during the gas crunch.

Wonder how many Cents worth of gas he saved during that time with just about 8k mls driven Overall. ;)

That car is amazing with all the right ingredients including paint and engine choice.

I hear you about driving your very nice cars with trepidation, and it is a constant concern for me too especially here in the Los Angeles area. At least I am out in the east end of the region, more near the desert. I find it hard to not have my cars in very nice condition, and so it becomes an issue as to when and how often to drive them. That is why Carsten is such a good influence on me telling me to just drive them, and not restore all of them to a very high standard. But I am not there yet, but evolving, albeit, slowly, as he knows..............

I also have a mixture of B, E and C bodies as well. This is a photo of some, though not all restored - yet.
100_5509.jpg

You have some spectacular cars and it is very nice to have you on board.

Steve

100_5509.jpg

Wonder how many Cents worth of gas he saved during that time with just about 8k mls driven Overall. ;)

That car is amazing with all the right ingredients including paint and engine choice.

I doubt it was worth the effort. Comparing the two carbs, the most obvious difference is the size of the 440 secondaries....they are huge compared to the 383 carb.
Yes, I agree on the color. B7 has always been one of my favorites. In 1972, I bought a '70 B7 Hemicuda from a used car lot, and haven't seen another one since!
Oh, something else memorable about this car. The fuel pump apparently had gone bad at some point, and was replaced. Fortunately, the original pump stayed with the car, along with the dogdishes, and I've had it repaired. Next time I get access to my friend's lift, we're going to put it back on.

I hear you about driving your very nice cars with trepidation, and it is a constant concern for me too especially here in the Los Angeles area. At least I am out in the east end of the region, more near the desert. I find it hard to not have my cars in very nice condition, and so it becomes an issue as to when and how often to drive them. That is why Carsten is such a good influence on me telling me to just drive them, and not restore all of them to a very high standard. But I am not there yet, but evolving, albeit, slowly, as he knows..............

I also have a mixture of B, E and C bodies as well. This is a photo of some, though not all restored - yet.
View attachment 51092

You have some spectacular cars and it is very nice to have you on board.

Steve

It's great to find others who can appreciate C bodies, along with their Bs and Es. Pretty rare trait in the circles I run with. I get a lot of ribbing from my Mopar buddies about my Cs, but...hey, they're all fun.
Sometimes I feel like Noah's Ark here. I have two Bs, two Es, and two Cs...and I've had most of them for many, many years.

Love the 69 Fury talk about a sleeper, sounds like you have a great collection, any photo's of the whole Mopar family?

It's a sleeper, unless you're close enough to hear it. It has a different sound that the usual 440hp in the B and E bodies, mainly because, at least I think....it doesn't have an H-pipe. It has a very metallic exhaust note, especially at idle...one that I remember so well from pulling up next to 440 Virginia state police cars at traffic lights back in '69 and '70.
It's so nice at highway speed with that 2.76 open gear....just effortless.
A year after I got it, and had undone the "mods", I took it to the big Virginia Mopar show held at a dragstrip. I got talked into a "fun run" against one of my buddies in his '69 383 4 speed 3.55 rear Roadrunner. I'm no expert on the dragstrip, as this was only my third time ever doing it...but I did watch a YouTube video the night before on technique.
I had the original size repro tires on it, and just eased it off the line with no wheelspin at all...and then hit it, and ran a 15.69. They told me I had a near perfect light, and beat the guy in the RR, to everyone's amazement. That was my one and only ever run with it, but the legend lives on. :)

interesting. note the black m/c cover and plated p/s pump cap. painted battery cable ,etc.
attachment.php

curious about the tires... size, brand,etc.
attachment.php

Beautiful cars, welcome to the site from the Motor City! I'm into all things Mopar so let's see the rest of them.

That would be the car I would never stop polishing.

That car deserves a better owner than me.

attachment.php

Back