Big block damper install

66furys

Reaction score
Anyone remember the pressing on of a big block harmonic damper?? I am building an install tool and want to use 3/8 rod to pull. But, if they are very tight, I will have to up the size. Prob heat the damper a taste to help and will use a bit of never seize....but am curious how tough you have found the pressing job. thanks

NO HEAT!!!!!!! Use engine oil for a light bit of LUBE on the damper snout and the seal it seals against.

Using a puller/installer to put it on might work, but you can also use a heavy hammer to tap on the center hub to get it installed. It might seem like a long way to tap, but when you finally get to the chamfer on the crank snout, the sound of the taps will change.

Seems like 125 of torque to tighten things down to?

CBODY67

Please, No heat or anti sieze on the damper. Put it on clean and dry. No oil, lube, paint or grit.

I sold a lot of these when I was in business. Over kill for one install but you get the idea. Press them on. Don't beat them on or draw them in with the balancer. bolt.
1711408310595.png

Interesting, all. When I was young working on heavy eqpt, I was helping to assy a large excavator. I drove a tight pin in the main arm, and it gauled and stuck...had to cut it out with what was called an air arc, now goes by a different name. On submarines, the main shaft is fit with no keys, and a taper press fit. And, when I have had issues, heat has always been a friend....not too much. Some cases you warm a thin walled cylinder liner before pressing in. In others, the bolt has to be red before it will come loose. And, on an aluminum harley engine, a friend found that when a steel bolt or stud breaks off flush, you tig weld a nut on top, and the heat will loosen him, and the nut will remove him. Never sure what is right, as seen above. But, since I am a poor retiree and trying not to get the large press kit for one job.....I am working on a homemade job that I hope will get er dun. But, I always like the other points and the help, thanks.

Should be able to start the snout by hand, make sure key is lined up then drive her home with the bolt 125LBS tight

Back