Calling for a Pow wow from the Best and the Brightest - Overheating.

Just throwing this out there. Radiators are shipped with a plastic plug on the inlet & outlet. They paint the radiator black & sometime the plug. I fixed a car recently that still had the plug, with that radiator hose over it. The car would idle fine, and sit cool. You could drive it a mile or so & then it would get boiling hot. Pegged hot.

That's a good thought but he said it was showing flow with the cap off. Idling in park with no load, not getting hot. At speed, under load its overheating. I'm sticking with a collapsing lower hose if its not the head gaskets.

Did you pressure check the radiator cap?

But I'm going with air still in the system. I know you think it's gone, but it's air. The system will still flow with air in it, well til it gets hot anyway. At least that was my experience.

Oh and check the timing.

OR that champion radiator is crap... *snicker*

Last edited:
I can't add anything additional to the discussion as it seems all plausible causes have come up. But perhaps one thing I can add is that in order to eliminate air entrapment in the cooling system, I drill a very tiny hole in the flange area of the thermostats I install in order to let any air escape whenever I change my coolant and refill. It really doesn't affect anything else in any significant way and eliminates this always present concern.

Any white smoke spewing from you exhaust ?
No
O rings sold seperatly?
Yes
Was the heads redone for any reason other than overheating?
Done only because the seals were worn.
Was something else done like the camshaft?
Nothing else.
Re read so its the head gaskets?
I'm 99% sure.
I would take another look in the radiator...
Every empirical test convinces me it's not the radiator. It's overheating the exact same way as with the old radiator.
Sidebar: 1976 Chrysler New Yorker OEM Radiator For Sale. Works perfectly.
bad water pump impeller loose on shaft cools at idle won`t cool at higher rpm
First thing I checked.
Maybe wrong gaskets?
Yep.
Just throwing this out there. Radiators are shipped with a plastic plug on the inlet & outlet.
Removed. But not a dumb question. Ask me about the starter motor I left on the bench once.
I'm sticking with a collapsing lower hose if its not the head gaskets.
New hose WITH spring. Inspected and not collapsing.
Did you put the fan on backwards.....?:shruggy:
Fan never came off.
But perhaps one thing I can add is that in order to eliminate air entrapment in the cooling system...
I can say with 99% certainty there isn't any air in the system.

===========================================
===========================================

Thanks everybody. As I said, I installed the wrong ones. It HAS to be that. New gaskets arriving tomorrow and Thursday with the help of a friend we'll put in the new ones.
thEmoticon-ThankYouII.gif

And yes, I got drunk last night.
Prevented me from slitting my wrists.
For WIW, I told my wife the whole story and she saw how depressed I was.
She said, "If that's the worst thing that ever happens in your life, consider yourself lucky"
Bless her!!

Sounds like a smart women, what line did you pull to convince her to be with you?
She said, "If that's the worst thing that ever happens in your life, consider yourself lucky"
Bless her!!

I sure as hell wouldn't start yanking the heads off until I had eliminated the thermostat as the problem.

Removed. But not a dumb question. Ask me about the starter motor I left on the bench once.

I was priming a fresh rebuilt engine, and when I lifted the drill up the prime rod dropped off and rattled inside the engine all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan. Oil pan had to come off. Step one remove engine.....URGH!!!!

This all reminds me of pulling my engine to refresh the top end and replace the rear main only to have it leak 10 times worse whe I put it all back together. I still haven't driven it more than 5 miles since all that and I still don't want to do the rear main again but I know I have to soon as that's the car I want to put 4,000 miles on this season.

Crap happens all the time. I went into work last night and when I drove into the parking lot I drop my plow to make a path and I hit the corner of the retaining wall with my rear tire and presto one flat tire. So 200 bucks later I now have a new one coming. When I went into town the little corner store by me was standing when I came back the roof had fallen in, lots of snow this year with another storm coming Thursday.

1509277_10202878074340712_1706895014_n.jpg

1560586_10152200870118464_747451778_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bless her!!

BUt the self proclaimed " voice of reason" (Ross) says there is no such thing as luck..

That's the best use of a camaro body I've seen so far.

I was priming a fresh rebuilt engine, and when I lifted the drill up the prime rod dropped off and rattled inside the engine all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan. Oil pan had to come off. Step one remove engine.....URGH!!!!

Way back in 1975 I was rebuilding the 302 for the Cougar. Everything was sealed up and I did the unthinkable... I dropped a 7/16 bolt down the distributor opening. Everyone cleared out of the garage when they saw me pick up a baseball bat. I was so pissed off that I hammered that engine like that woman with the jack handle. While pounding the crap out of the engine, ruining a good bat, I heard the bolt drop to the empty oil pan past everything. Fast forward 2012 when I take the pan off to restore it and inside the bolt next to the drain plug.

BUt the self proclaimed " voice of reason" (Ross) says there is no such thing as luck..
That's not exactly what I said...

But, the voice of reason says check the thermostat. And, WTF are these o-rings all about?

Back