Calling for a Pow wow from the Best and the Brightest - Overheating.

Not to hijack anything but for the sake of being curious as I've never done one myself. If a guy replaced a steel head gasket that's newer say 72 and up with one that later 60' to 71 or so on accident for some reason will this cause a lack of sufficient coolant flow with the coolant passages being shaped differently and all? Just asking cause because i know most of you guys have probably changed a few out and have the knowledge and experience and maybe have run into this?

You sure it's not the stat. Just kidding. As many times as you've removed the heads, you should have it down to an hour total. Good luck.
LOL.
Yah. Thanks to my buddy, I'm shooting for a day. I know know the exact sequence and that 50% of the battle.

Not to hijack anything but...
Around here, nothing is a hijack.

As far as I know, but I'm guessing, a 440 gasket is a 440 gasket is a 440 gasket.
The only variables I recall is bore size (4.375 - 4.50), thicknesses (.029 - .060)material (brass, SS, etc) and (Ahem. cough-cough)., with and without O-rings...

Last edited:
Personally i'm not sold on Stant. I had one thermostat go bad three years ago and two bad radiator caps in the past 5. Meh.
Personally, never seen one go bad in almost 50 years. For that many to say were "bad", I would attribute to repeated misdiagnosis based on reinforcement.
Throw out the baby with the bath water.

Have you sorted this out yet?
BTW, you are very close to 19,000 posts (in case you hadn't noticed...) :D

Last edited:
Personally, never seen one go bad in almost 50 years. For that many to say were "bad", I would attribute to repeated misdiagnosis based on reinforcement.
Throw out the baby with the bath water.

I've had two. One stuck closed and I verified it with boiling water. The other stuck open, which is kinda tough in the winter time. Easy to spot though.

I agree with Dave.

They sure do go bad over time.......I have never seen a bad BRAND NEW Stant ever in 40 years.

I have had one not work right out of the package...........that was thirty years ago. I have of course only had to replace one thermostat since.

Not to hijack anything but for the sake of being curious as I've never done one myself. If a guy replaced a steel head gasket that's newer say 72 and up with one that later 60' to 71 or so on accident for some reason will this cause a lack of sufficient coolant flow with the coolant passages being shaped differently and all? Just asking cause because i know most of you guys have probably changed a few out and have the knowledge and experience and maybe have run into this?

Mopar Performance catalog list gasket for all BB no year, no engine size. I know the block changed but theory of operation is the same. the slot in the gasket limits flow the same if old block with large hole or late model with dumbbell slot, I think it was changed to add more gasket sealing surface on larger bore engines 400/440 my 383 gaskets started failing in this area from rusting around slots.

Stan, is it possible you could take a picture of the gaskets, I learn by seeing and doing things twice. That is something I don't want to do twice when I rebuild my 383!

Those copper gaskets are a race item to be used on a race motor with the block grooved for orings, I cannot see em working on Stan's motor.

Stan, is it possible you could take a picture of the gaskets, I learn by seeing and doing things twice. That is something I don't want to do twice when I rebuild my 383!
No problem, Jake. Heads are coming off this morning.

Those copper gaskets are a race item to be used on a race motor with the block grooved for orings, I cannot see em working on Stan's motor.
I never used copper before. On any type of engine. When I opened the pkg. and saw them. I said : Hmmm, that's unusual. Must be really good ones".
My own stupidity/lack of knowledge/rushing to get the job done/whatever, got me into this snafu. Nothing else.
At least somebody else might not make this mistake now.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-111600/overview/

Last edited:
I have had one not work right out of the package...........that was thirty years ago. I have of course only had to replace one thermostat since.
You are totally hung up on this thermostat thing like a starving pitbull holding on to a piece of raw meat.
OK. We already have learned that in over 17,000 posts you have yet to be wrong.
When it turns out it wasn't the the thermostat, you will still be able to say: "I never said it WAS the thermostat" and I can say: "I told you it was NOT the thermostat".
You should be selling overpriced cars. It's getting personal now, Dave.
At least I have the balls to eat **** in front of everybody. It's not in your character to be able to do that. Lets sit around the cracker barrel and talk cars and stuff. Not who has the biggest dick. We are exactly alike in one sense: We put out there what we're thinking and everybody else can take it or leave it.
Back to the real issue: I put in the wrong head gaskets.

Last edited:
Hope it goes well today Stan and that you guys have a little fun in the process.

Hope it goes well today Stan and that you guys have a little fun in the process.
Thanks, Matt. I am having fun already :D !!!!!!

Freaking Geedee rear compressor bracket bolt!!!!!!!!!!!Arghhhhhhhhhhh
And I'll know which way it goes back on now too. LOL

You are totally hung up on this thermostat thing like a starving pitbull holding on to a piece of raw meat.
OK. We already have learned that in over 17,000 posts you have yet to be wrong.
When it turns out it wasn't the the thermostat, you will still be able to say: "I never said it WAS the thermostat" and I can say: "I told you it was NOT the thermostat".
You should be selling overpriced cars. It's getting personal now, Dave.
At least I have the balls to eat **** in front of everybody. It's not in your character to be able to do that. Lets sit around the cracker barrel and talk cars and stuff. Not who has the biggest dick. We are exactly alike in one sense: We put out there what we're thinking and everybody else can take it or leave it.
Back to the real issue: I put in the wrong head gaskets.

Get em Stan.

Back