Camping at the 2018 Mopar Nats???

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So at the moment, I am poorly researched... I thought I would ask for thoughts anyway. I am considering leaving a car (probably the parts car and pop up) after Carlisle and then coming back for the Mopar Nats in August.

From what I have seen and heard this will be an entirely different experience than Carlisle. Closing the grounds while the sun is still out :confused: :realcrazy: :mad:, I can't say that I am excited about that.

To be honest, the biggest attraction would be to spend time with members I haven't had a chance to meet or spend a little more time with a few I have.

I always enjoy a swap, but Carlisle is over the top... I love it, but it makes it nearly impossible to want to leave during daylight hours. I do imagine there will be some vendors of used stuff who I won't see in PA... C Body Formal stuff is tough to find anywhere.

I don't even want to list all of the members I would hope to see there, for fear of leaving several out. I suppose of all of the cars I'd want to see, @detmatt Imperial and @Stormer PImperial would be at the top of the list. Yes there is a trend there.

The biggest question... what camping insights do you folks have for me???

There is a primitive camp site next to the Drag strip just off the main entrance for the part of the show field and car corral. There is a KOA just south of I70 near Buckeye lake. Just did a search on Hebron camping, found The Camping Spot just east of the Nats on US40.

Last edited:
I’ve never camped out there nor have I been to any of the campgrounds but I think Dave @70bigblockdodge knows what’s up.

@detmatt I do not know anything about Nats camping. I believe you can stay at the track if you are a racer/motorhome, which Jeff is not.
There is a impromptu camp ground as mentioned above and a KOA at Buckeye lake but you should reserve now for BL KOA there is other camp grounds around.
BL KOA is south east of track, Heath is north east of track, cruise I believe has moved out of town and is now more toward Buckeye Lake. Matt and I stay north kind of between Heath and road to the track. Ross, Mike Z, and Columbus itself is west.
You need to make reservations now or after the First of the year, it fills fast. Most of us book on checkout for next year.

Isn’t 1 of the campgrounds a golf cart ride away?

Isn’t 1 of the campgrounds a golf cart ride away?
Yes, the property next door... I haven't confirmed if they have a proper bath house... very important with a toilet-less pop up, and seriously, who wants a toilet inside their above ground tent??

If you want something off the beaten path, I stayed at Hueston Woods State Park a few years ago. It's 1 1/2 to the Nats, but it was really nice place to stay for a mini-vacation while going to the Nats. There is camping available, a nice lodge with a pool and they have cabins too.
Hueston Woods 1.jpg
Hueston Woods 2.jpg

If you want something off the beaten path, I stayed at Hueston Woods State Park a few years ago. It's 1 1/2 to the Nats, but it was really nice place to stay for a mini-vacation while going to the Nats. There is camping available, a nice lodge with a pool and they have cabins too.View attachment 155284 View attachment 155285
Looks nice, but way too far for my tastes.

Sorry, no camping insight from a local. The place next door looks like somebody’s back yard to me.

[QUOTE="cantflip, seriously, who wants a toilet inside their above ground tent??[/QUOTE]

Ellie did..... I converted a counter/cabinet to a toilet in our old pop up. Cut the hole, installed a toilet seat, plastic lined 5 gal bucket and anti stink chemicals. It was good for three or four days depending on the temps. Then swap the bag out and dispose in a trash container far away from the camper.
DSC02197.JPG

If you even THINK about Vivian coming with you, this upgrade will be mandatory.

Went to the Nats religiously for a decade, here we're always people set up by the trees by the creek, in the parking lot (field) just west of the track in tents and small campers.

Ellie did..... I converted a counter/cabinet to a toilet in our old pop up. Cut the hole, installed a toilet seat, plastic lined 5 gal bucket and anti stink chemicals. It was good for three or four days depending on the temps. Then swap the bag out and dispose in a trash container far away from the camper.

If you even THINK about Vivian coming with you, this upgrade will be mandatory.
I took Viv camping a couple times before my back injuries. Once in a tent and once in an old trailer a buddy and I used to own. She is definitely not a roughing it camper... I don't expect her to want to leave Florida, but maybe she will try something local.

I have a portable crapper if the occasion comes.
Went to the Nats religiously for a decade, here we're always people set up by the trees by the creek, in the parking lot (field) just west of the track in tents and small campers.
Sup? Hope to see you this summer.
I know I’m going to Carlisle this year for sure and likely the Nats. It would be great to see you, it’s been too long.
I'm trying to figure this one out to get to meet you guys and a few more I hope. I'd like to try something new every year too. I think Carlisle will remain my "must do" show.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="cantflip, seriously, who wants a toilet inside their above ground tent??

View attachment 155839

If you even THINK about Vivian coming with you, this upgrade will be mandatory.[/QUOTE]

My wife's idea of "roughing it" is a Holiday Inn. . .

We Camp Next Door To Nationals Every year. There is A Bath House There You Have To Watch And Get in there right after they Clean it. Best To Use it Late at Night. you can Walkover to the Event from the Camp. We started Bringing Campers From PGH there The Ground sucks for a Tent unless You Got Alot of Cushion.

Back