Camshaft for a 440............

i could never get the full 30 degrees (think i'm at 26-28 degrees) advance timing without detonation or pinging... I was going to jet-down the carb too. I'm reassembling the car after my restification so at this point i'm outta cash so want to squeeze what i can out of this setup.

Am i missing a *$#&%$-ton of HP? I was thinking i'd built something greater than the 440 Magnum specs so was expecting nearly 300 RWHP.

i could never get the full 30 degrees (think i'm at 26-28 degrees) advance timing without detonation or pinging... I was going to jet-down the carb too. I'm reassembling the car after my restification so at this point i'm outta cash so want to squeeze what i can out of this setup.

Am i missing a *$#&%$-ton of HP? I was thinking i'd built something greater than the 440 Magnum specs so was expecting nearly 300 RWHP.
10 degrees at idle and 34 degrees full advance is where you should be at. 30 degrees full advance seems a little bit special.

Could you have old, low quality or some other fuel issue? I would try fresh if your not sure...

Last edited:
I have the Comp 480/280 cam in my 440 with 452 heads (bone-stock NOS score) and MP dual plane intake and HP manifolds, 2.5" TTI exhaust. Open air cleaner. 0.030 over (4.350 bore) with JE Pistons. Edlebrock 750 with manual choke.

Rear wheel dyno with bent rim and running too rich was 204 RWHP.

with 3.55 suregrip i can't spin the tires, 15" cop rims with 255 Radial TA. B&M shift kit and 1800 RPM stall converter.

I feel like i'm missing about 80-90 RWHP.

I'm sorry , but that Comp 480/280 cam is just not right with your combination and there is something wrong with your timing.

Please start a new thread and we will help you out.

Thanks yes, Sorry Nick, didn't mean to hijack your post. Seemed you were contemplating nearly the exact same set-up i have and i am happy, but not as happy as i should be with combination. I'll start a new thread on my engine / drive train issue.

Basically my specs are;
'73 Truck block, standard bore, .010" undersize forged steel crank
'73 U code exhaust manifolds
'73 factory intake
'74 thermoquad
'75 452 heads with a port and polish
'75 Dual snorkel air cleaner.
Factory style 2.5" dual exhaust with turbo mufflers (quietish would be nice)

All parts (intake, heads, exhaust manifolds) are going to be gasket matched.

The 727 will have a stock stall, but will have upgraded clutches and bands, and a shift kit.

All of this will feed into a 8 3/4 with 3.23 open gear set.

In keeping with the suggestions above and the advice of my re-builder the 440 for my Monaco will have the 268H Comp cam for better low end grunt:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=699&sb=2

Last edited:
IF not too late - Since you heads have had a bit of a clean up, some more lift wouldn't go astray, Howard's and Hughes both have similar cams to the 268, but with more lift utilizing more aggressive ramp rates. The stock rockers are NOT 1.5 ratio, from other posts I have read they can be as low as 1.41 - this means that the 286 cam's .454 lift is only going to .427, which translates to a heap of lost breathing/power - not just up top either.

Comp 268h adv 268/268 218@50 lift .454 ([email protected]) lsa 110 IC 106
1200-5200 Great Replacement for 383 Magnum w/ 650-750 CFM Carb, Dual Plane Manifold, etc • Smooth Idle 440 w/ Super Torque

Comp XE268h adv 268/280 224/230@50 lift .477/.480 (448/[email protected]) lsa 110 IC 106
1600-5800 Great For Street Machines • Slightly Rough Idle • Works w/ Stock Converter But Best w/ 1800+ Stall

Howards 721141-08 adv 267/267 220@50 lift .506 ([email protected]) lsa 108 IC 104
1600-5400 Good low & mid-range horsepower. Needs 4 barrel & headers.

Howards 721941-12 adv 271/281 224/234@50 lift .518/.543 (487/[email protected]) lsa 112 IC 108
1800-5400 Fair idle, Hot Street & mild Bracket Racing. Strong mid range

HUGHES SEH2428BL-11 224/228@50 LIFT .518/.530 (487/[email protected]) LSA 111 IC 107
Mild street performance or hot HP restoration engines. Likes some head work & oversize valves. Idle: Smooth to noticable Vacuum: Medium level Converter: Stock to mild stall Rear gear: 3.55 +

No bellybutton cam for you?

Why come?

I had one go soft in a SB Chevy 383, about 1500 miles on a rebuild. I followed all the proper protocol,not even really high spring pressures,it took the bearings with it on the way out.

Same thing on a buddies 460 and another friend's 455 Olds. I've heard numerous others with the same results.

I've used Crane, MP, and Crower, never had a problem.

My next cam will be Nitrided, and not a Comp.

Nick- Dennis is getting even better!

Zac- Your Monaco promises to live up to the Bluesmobile reputation!

I'm jealous. I miss my 72 Fury I- former RCMP car...

I had one go soft in a SB Chevy 383, about 1500 miles on a rebuild. I followed all the proper protocol,not even really high spring pressures,it took the bearings with it on the way out.

Same thing on a buddies 460 and another friend's 455 Olds. I've heard numerous others with the same results.

I've used Crane, MP, and Crower, never had a problem.

My next cam will be Nitrided, and not a Comp.
Not to be a dick, but how long go, what did they use as a breakin process, what breakin oil did they use, and what were the engines like? Mild, rodded, race?

Just blatantly bashing a company without providing any real details doesn't do anything, Its like saying oh yeah that guy over there sucks, but giving no reason.

On my budget for essentially a daily driver, I can't afford most of the Mopar Performance cams, thats straight up, with the current exchange rates and shipping, I'd be almost $500.00 for just a cam, I have $600 into both 440's, I'm sorry if I sound cheap, but I can't afford to sink nearly 2 weeks pay into JUST a cam. The COMP cams are much more reasonably priced and I've used PILES of COMP products on everything, Small Block Chevy, Small Block Ford, Small Block Dodge, and by the looks of it, soon to be Big Block Dodge.

That's my 2 cents, think of me as you wish, I wasn't asking for opinions on brand, just opinions on Lift, Duration and degree.............

You build them with your brands, I'll build them with mine.....

Nick- Dennis is getting even better!

Zac- Your Monaco promises to live up to the Bluesmobile reputation!

I'm jealous. I miss my 72 Fury I- former RCMP car...
Thank you Mr. C, I'm enjoying how he is shaping up! My father-in-law Kevin wishes he had kept many OPP and Toronto Metro cars he had, all of them Mopar, 90% of the OPP cars he had were 440 Pursuit cars, only one of them was a 360 Patrol Package Royal Monaco.

Not to be a dick, but how long go, what did they use as a breakin process, what breakin oil did they use, and what were the engines like? Mild, rodded, race?

I built a 383 for my Dodge M37 to replace the tired 350 in 2013. I used a top end kit from Comp.(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k12-212-2?seid=srese1&gclid=CPCrheqyisoCFUc2gQodjpECww) I also used their break in oil, broke the cam in with inner springs out, ran it really easy just driving around to car shows and such.
I already knew there were problems in the past,( those other 2 engines I mentioned). I chose to ignore it.

In the end, it cost me thousands more to save the extra $150 it would have cost for a different brand cam. Comp would do nothing except send a new cam.

Hopefully no one else will have problems with a Comp cam, I won't.

Good luck with your build!!!

With everything, I've heard mixed reviews on comp products. I installed the cam mentioned earlier, along with their timing set, springs, and pushrods. Keeping my fingers crossed for when the time comes to fire her up for the 1st time.

I had a vodoo cam in my old Newport with a 400. That was a GREAT cam for that setup. Healthy idle, and great grunt down low. Didn't want to go as radical on this 440 though..

I was fairly interested in a whiplash cam for the Cordoba... But after seeing some of Dave's remarks about them, I'm kinda turned off by them now.

Back