Car wouldn't stop! Kept accelerating! 1967 Fury

jareed17

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I put a 1 inch Edlebock spacer in between the Edlebrock Intake and Edelbrock Carb. I "tuned" it myself.

When I took it out for a test drive, I punched the gas from a stop, and when I took my foot off the gas the engine kept accelerating. I had the turn the car off to bring ita stop. Good think there were no other cards around. It started back up just fine and I drove it home (about a mile) without any issues.

The throttle cable is at a big angle now that I put the 1 in spacer in the car. Could that be it, or that maybe I tuned the carb wrong?

Thanks

1967 Sport Fury w 383

CAM00197 (2).jpg

CAM00197 (2).jpg

Edelbrock has pretty good kits to adapt to almost any application. Contact them and lose the spacer for now ... my .02

Probably pulling the linkage over center and the spring won't bring it back.

Lose the spacer, it's changing the geometry of the linkage.

I have two springs pulling my linkage back to an idle...one inside the other.

One inch is a big change. Cut it down to 1/2" and you should be OK. Thats what I run.

That happened to me once in my Goat. The Trips were wide open in 3rd gear; I just about $h!t myself. I had to turn it off as well. It turned out the linkage stuck from a pin.

Ditto. Same here. Did mine to fix heat issues, esp. in the summer time. Did the trick.
Chrysler used an asbestos pad wrapped in foil sitting on top of the valley cover under the inlet manifold, a lot of people dont put one back when they rebuild their motors or change inlet manifolds and so then heating issues arise. Personally i would bundle up some header webbing and cover it in foil and slide it back in there for the original look and performance.

I'd check the spacer to carb fit and make sure they don't bind. I've had them bind and stick a wot.

looks like your kickdown linkage is upside down or just angle from spacer but that's where I would look.

Chrysler used an asbestos pad wrapped in foil sitting on top of the valley cover under the inlet manifold, a lot of people dont put one back when they rebuild their motors or change inlet manifolds and so then heating issues arise. Personally i would bundle up some header webbing and cover it in foil and slide it back in there for the original look and performance.
Yeah, I did find a pad, it was a total mess. I guess it did not work too well. After I made the changes the heat problem went away about 95%, even on that hottest days. I had a 71 Fury that was totally bone stock and it was also a bear to turn over when it got hot.

The linkage is getting hung up on the air cleaner as you changed the geometry of the linkage by adding in the spacer. No big deal. You will need to do this mod to your car with a spacer setup. Kick-down will need to be adjusted accordingly after the mod is complete. Also, is your throttle cable long enough for full return with the spacer in place? Get rid of that big washer and make sure the kick-down moves smoothly. BTW, by looking at the picture your kick-down is not adjusted correct.

One more thing you will need to check. I call it the Play Doh test!! Take play doh and place half dollar size balls of it in places on top of the air cleaner lid as close as possible to where the bracing would be coming across the air cleaner lid and shut the hood slowly holding the release so it doesn't latch. When you open the hood see if any play doh has compressed in any area on the air cleaner lid where the cross bracing on you hood would be. If the play doh is compressed down to the lid and you can see the lid through the play doh, you will need to either cut the cross bracing or find a drop air cleaner.

A better picture: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x18/thesmanman/image_zps04ac90f1.jpg

Kick down mod.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that giant fender washer is hitting the bottom of the air cleaner. Did you check the operation of the linkage with the air cleaner on before you took it for the test drive?

Thank y'all for the diagrams and advice! I'm going to flip or bend the passing linkage. It does look like it was hitting the air cleaned. Not sure what to do about the throttle cable yet. Maybe bend the bracket its on.

looks like your kickdown linkage is upside down or just angle from spacer but that's where I would look.

... :yes: ...

You also need the Edelbrock throttle linkage adaptor (Summit/Jegs), and get a light spring to hold your kickdown linkage forward independently and be sure it is adjusted correctly.

You should check the throw length of your kickdown lever on the transmission, and find a point on your throttle lever adaptor that will have the same amount of travel in order for your kickdown to work properly.

Thank y'all for the diagrams and advice! I'm going to flip or bend the passing linkage. It does look like it was hitting the air cleaned. Not sure what to do about the throttle cable yet. Maybe bend the bracket its on.

This is what happened to my car before I owned it by the same thing you have going on. Throttle linkage got stuck under the air cleaner housing and he couldn't stop the car and slammed into a tree in his driveway. Car was completely done. Not a good thing,.but good for me as I have the car now. Pictures show right after the quarter was hung and trunk. Frame was straightened out and reinforced. I'm about done with the body work to the quarter and will be moving on to the trunk. Just sanding will be needed and rust encapsulator before paint. Then it goes for paint and bumper re-chroming. Rest of the car is mint.

Hit.jpg

Bodywork.jpg

Bodywork2.jpg

Last edited:
First question,was your car originally a 2bbl motor,if so then you need a longer accelerator cable or an extension,and a one inch extension on your kick down lever,they do sell kits for this,,on my 65 fury with a poly 318 it was switched to a 4bbl intake and carb,I had to find a longer cable and just welded a one inch piece onto my kickdown rod,,the amgle on my cable was way to low and if you look for a 70-77 BB/RB motor with cruise control ect you will see a cable bracket extension that raises the cable up about an inch,,it may take a bit of finesse but it will elevate your cable to the correct height,,good luck on your next exciting ride.

This is what happened to my car before I owned it by the same thing you have going on. Throttle linkage got stuck under the air cleaner housing and he couldn't stop the car and slammed into a tree in his driveway. Car was completely done. Not a good thing,.but good for me as I have the car now. Pictures show right after the quarter was hung and trunk. Frame was straightened out and reinforced. I'm about done with the body work to the quarter and will be moving on to the trunk. Just sanding will be needed and rust encapsulator before paint. Then it goes for paint and bumper re-chroming. Rest of the car is mint.

I always laugh when I hear this, especially on pre column lock cars. I had only been driving a few months and had the throttle hang on my Barracuda that I just got from my grandfather, even as green of a driver as I was I just turned it off and pulled over. But before that I thought oh I have a stuck pedal and punched it to the floor just to have it hang wide open, turned out I broke the return spring, I grabbed what was left and stretched it to where I could hook it again.

Alan

Back