Carlisle 2023

You asked...

Tips for the day visitor can be a little different than the overnighter. Ive been doing it for years, off and on since high school plus daughter went to Dickinson and spent all my car money. That place owes me big time. So here is a day plan that I usually follow.

First bring hat and sunblock and small backpack. Backpack to hold the stuff you bring and the little stuff you buy. Comfortable full toe shoes cuz you will be walking on rocks half the time. Its usually hot as crotch rash in jeggings so maybe a battery fan. Powder maybe. Bring a second shirt and leave it in the car. Also a sealable Yetti or similar is wise.

Bring a list of parts you are looking for because you will forget when confronted with the unending piles. If you have pics on your phone that’s good too to show the vendors. If you have the actual part – like broken hinge cover – bring that too. Not only car parts but if you need supplies like paint, grinding wheels, wax, cheap quality tools, make a list of that too. The prices are not that good anymore but the selection is incredible. Arrive before 9. Come up 15 to Dillsburg then left on 74. Stop at Rutters and get a Rutters Tea and piss. Good time to tell wife the bathrooms at the fairgrounds are very well kept but also moist and well used. Women’s room probs better.

When you get downtown you will be on E High St and the most direct route is right on S Hanover….however, depending on the time, it will be full of cars going slow to the fairgrounds. Screw that and go straight through the intersection and make the first right on N. Pitt. Keep going on Pitt until you hit G, H, and I streets. Free parking on the street or pay to park in people’s yards. My new thing these past years is to park at Desperate Times Brewing which is right outside of Gate 1. You would think it would be full but no. If you are going to pay, then be as close as possible. Wife will thank you.

Through Gate 1 and it begins. Get a free event booklet. It will have maps on it. C-bodies are kind of in the middle. Its all parts at this entrance till you get further back. So make a choice if its parts or cars first. When the wife takes a deep breath and sighs you can find the various craft vendors, the womens tent, and my favorite the giant metal sculpture vendor. 5 foot chickens and the like. They serve breakfast at the fairgrounds under the grandstands. For lunch get a Big Smokey at one of the vendors and take it to the grandstands where you spread out on cool shade covered aluminum seats and spill crap on your shirt. Of course you have go up the hill past the 14 identical purple challengers. At the top of the hill first look back and take the required vista picture of the masses. It is cool. This a good time to give the wife the Mufasa speech - Everything The Light Touches Scene - THE LION KING (1994) Movie Clip - YouTube but change it up with appropriate language. After your thighs rest keep going back past the trucks to the tree shade and watch the Hellcat thrill ride thing. If you want to wait for an hour in line do it. Its kinda worth it. Once.

Around 3 you will be getting tired so leave and, after changing into fresh shirt, go in the brewery and wash your face 3 times and the sticky part opposite your elbow and of course get a beer sampler flight. Get your second wind and then go back down Pitt street to High again and eat an early dinner in town. I say in town cuz nobody from the car show seems to do in-town things. Good places are Bruges Café, Molly Pitcher brewery, Issei Noodle, The Grazery. For something not beer Grand Illusion Cidery is nice but not really a restaurant. Also past the college is The Pizza Grille which despite the name is cool place with Garage door openness and good pizza and fresh salads. I would suggest the cheap Carlisle Diner but your legs will stick to the vinyl. On your way back to 15 make one last stop at Stans Beverage Distribution on the right and witness the PA style beer warehouse. You want some Burbon - nope none, not allowed. Just a box of wine? No - just beer damn it. . Find random crap you never heard of and buy it cuz your tired. You will likely have to buy a case. Once on 15 watch out for the cops on the long straightaways. If you still have energy stop at Gettysburg and/or the outlets there. Get home and take a cold shower and find out what areas you missed with sun block. Probs tops of ears.

Last edited:
I'm going to Carlisle for the first time ever this year. Bringing my wife but not our 300. Any tips or advice? Where to eat, park, go, etc.? Or not? What not to miss? Any tips to keep an indulgent (but not a car person) spouse entertained?
One other thing if you are going to be staying over, take some time to go through the AACA museum just up the road in Hershey.

I'm going to Carlisle for the first time ever this year. Bringing my wife but not our 300. Any tips or advice? Where to eat, park, go, etc.? Or not? What not to miss? Any tips to keep an indulgent (but not a car person) spouse entertained?
Bring cash, the ATM Service Charges are excessive IMO.

There is a woman's tent that is air conditioned. I've never been in it but I recall seeing it.
Leave wife at home or with friends. Really, it's cruel on someone that is not into the scene, cruel on you as you cut conversation short with vendors and car owners you want to talk with.
I have been going alone for decades, if a friend comes they must be able to self care. I am gone into the swap for two days.

My wife is a peach for tolerating this trip with me and the 4 kids who are just as excited as I am about going. My wife manages to find some interesting things to look at, but after about 1/3 of the swap it all starts to look the same to her. She's good with looking at the cars though. We even got her to do a thrill ride and she came out of that with a huge grin laughing and carrying on which is not her normal, but hey I wasn't the one making the car go sideways.

My recommendations are full brim hats, sun screen, a golf umbrella (nothing like portable shade). Gatorade and water, leave the soda and sweet drinks at home.

You didn't say which day(s) your coming. If it's Friday the swap will be full and the show field about 65%. Saturday the both will be full, but many of the vendors start to leave late afternoon Saturday. I remember back in the day when the vendors were there till Sunday afternoon.

Be patient and understanding with your wife.

You asked...

Tips for the day visitor can be a little different than the overnighter. Ive been doing it for years, off and on since high school plus daughter went to Dickinson and spent all my car money. That place owes me big time. So here is a day plan that I usually follow.

First bring hat and sunblock and small backpack. Backpack to hold the stuff you bring and the little stuff you buy. Comfortable full toe shoes cuz you will be walking on rocks half the time. Its usually hot as crotch rash in jeggings so maybe a battery fan. Powder maybe. Bring a second shirt and leave it in the car. Also a sealable Yetti or similar is wise.

Bring a list of parts you are looking for because you will forget when confronted with the unending piles. If you have pics on your phone that’s good too to show the vendors. If you have the actual part – like broken hinge cover – bring that too. Not only car parts but if you need supplies like paint, grinding wheels, wax, cheap quality tools, make a list of that too. The prices are not that good anymore but the selection is incredible. Arrive before 9. Come up 15 to Dillsburg then left on 74. Stop at Rutters and get a Rutters Tea and piss. Good time to tell wife the bathrooms at the fairgrounds are very well kept but also moist and well used. Women’s room probs better.

When you get downtown you will be on E High St and the most direct route is right on S Hanover….however, depending on the time, it will be full of cars going slow to the fairgrounds. Screw that and go straight through the intersection and make the first right on N. Pitt. Keep going on Pitt until you hit G, H, and I streets. Free parking on the street or pay to park in people’s yards. My new thing these past years is to park at Desperate Times Brewing which is right outside of Gate 1. You would think it would be full but no. If you are going to pay, then be as close as possible. Wife will thank you.

Through Gate 1 and it begins. Get a free event booklet. It will have maps on it. C-bodies are kind of in the middle. Its all parts at this entrance till you get further back. So make a choice if its parts or cars first. When the wife takes a deep breath and sighs you can find the various craft vendors, the womens tent, and my favorite the giant metal sculpture vendor. 5 foot chickens and the like. They serve breakfast at the fairgrounds under the grandstands. For lunch get a Big Smokey at one of the vendors and take it to the grandstands where you spread out on cool shade covered aluminum seats and spill crap on your shirt. Of course you have go up the hill past the 14 identical purple challengers. At the top of the hill first look back and take the required vista picture of the masses. It is cool. This a good time to give the wife the Mufasa speech - Everything The Light Touches Scene - THE LION KING (1994) Movie Clip - YouTube but change it up with appropriate language. After your thighs rest keep going back past the trucks to the tree shade and watch the Hellcat thrill ride thing. If you want to wait for an hour in line do it. Its kinda worth it. Once.

Around 3 you will be getting tired so leave and, after changing into fresh shirt, go in the brewery and wash your face 3 times and the sticky part opposite your elbow and of course get a beer sampler flight. Get your second wind and then go back down Pitt street to High again and eat an early dinner in town. I say in town cuz nobody from the car show seems to do in-town things. Good places are Bruges Café, Molly Pitcher brewery, Issei Noodle, The Grazery. For something not beer Grand Illusion Cidery is nice but not really a restaurant. Also past the college is The Pizza Grille which despite the name is cool place with Garage door openness and good pizza and fresh salads. I would suggest the cheap Carlisle Diner but your legs will stick to the vinyl. On your way back to 15 make one last stop at Stans Beverage Distribution on the right and witness the PA style beer warehouse. You want some Burbon - nope none, not allowed. Just a box of wine? No - just beer damn it. . Find random crap you never heard of and buy it cuz your tired. You will likely have to buy a case. Once on 15 watch out for the cops on the long straightaways. If you still have energy stop at Gettysburg and/or the outlets there. Get home and take a cold shower and find out what areas you missed with sun block. Probs tops of ears.
Wow...Thank you! We are coming up Friday and staying through Sunday morning in York.

"Sticky part opposite your elbow" - yuck and lol but I know exactly what you mean.

It's still 10 days before the adventure begins driving to Carlisle, but to get a jump on loading up with trunk with the necessary items (IMO), I put together a list that should take the ride to PA with me.

Trunklist2.jpg
Trunklist1.jpg

Trunk1.jpg

Trunk2.jpg

Trunk3.jpg

Besides the circled items that still need to go in there, I also threw in these few items that aren't on the list: a duster, brake line bleed hose, and a fusible link just in case.
Why do I think I'm still missing a thing or two?

It's still 10 days before the adventure begins driving to Carlisle, but to get a jump on loading up with trunk with the necessary items (IMO), I put together a list that should take the ride to PA with me.

View attachment 604169View attachment 604170

View attachment 604171

View attachment 604172

View attachment 604173

Besides the circled items that still need to go in there, I also threw in these few items that aren't on the list: a duster, brake line bleed hose, and a fusible link just in case.
List looks good. I wont need to bring I will just stay close to you.

Had the 'Party Barge' on the Ohio turnpike today. (Trip to Maumee Bay State Park, about two hour round trip). All went well. Have about 400 miles on the new rings with no oil usage. A/C blew cold and the cruise worked reasonably well (still needs some tweaking).
My 'necessary items' will fit in a milk crate: (assorted fluids/cleaners, rags, 1/4 drive socket set.) The glove box has a fuse set, a couple of fuse-able link wires all made up and a ballast resistor. Other items include the pop-up sun shade and a four-way lug wrench.
Add the luggage, fill the tank, point the car east and drive for approx 375 miles.
One item that I have in every car is a FIRE EXTINGUISHER permanently mounted.
Safe travels
Omni

View attachment 604171

View attachment 604172

View attachment 604173

What, no spare alternator?

I have to check my oil and weld my sway bar bracket that broke on power tour, and I'm ready to go.
#1-Beer
#2- canopy
#3-chair
#4- Beer
#5-?

View attachment 604171

View attachment 604172

View attachment 604173

It looks like you are missing the spare engine and transmission to swap in alongside the road so you can use all the stuff you packed. :poke:
When I finally go, I know who I want to caravan with.

Having driven the route to Carlisle in the past with the 69 Imperial with brake and electrical problems along the way, I believe it is wise to make the 700 mile one way drive to be prepared for the unexpected.
The first trip to Carlisle we were following each other when Wyatt @71Polara383 made a flash maneuver and jumped onto an off ramp for gas. In following the caravan onto the off ramp the front end popped with the very quick turn I had made onto the ramp, only later to find out I had lost a castle nut off the tie rod. The cotter pin must not have been put in. Dumb mistake. I know.
When we discovered it what had happened, everyone had thought we were doomed. "where we gonna find a castle nut".
I then looked through my stuff in the trunk of the NYer and found the baggie of miscellaneous nuts and bolts I had brought with me, and Whoala, I had the right castle nut needed in that baggie.
@david hill and I did the repair at the roadside stop, filled up our gas tanks an and soon later we were all back on the road to Carlisle.
Being snake bitten twice its better to be safe than sorry.

I'm going to Carlisle for the first time ever this year. Bringing my wife but not our 300. Any tips or advice? Where to eat, park, go, etc.? Or not? What not to miss?

Booo on not bringing your 300 but I completely understand though, just come and see what its like first and get a feel for it. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you. Regarding tips or advice...... be sure to take it all in as much as possible as there is ALOT to see in a VERY short time. My suggestions however would be to bring light colored clothing, lots of water and sunscreen, and money for parts if you need them because the swap meet is pretty big. If you are looking for places to eat we normally go to a fantastic diner every morning called the "MiddleSex Diner" by the truck stop, lunch wise we normally eat sandwiches with store bought lunchmeat and cheese at the show and dinner wise although a bit pricey we went to a brewery called "Appalachian Brewing Company" once, and we also went to a restaurant called "Black n' Bleu" a couple times too. We normally go to a place called Hoss's steakhouse now though. Where to park I would say outside of gate 3. Where to go I would suggest is to the kick off cruise night on Thursday as I hear it's good although I never been, there is a dragstrip nearby called South Mountain as well as I again hear it's good although I never been, and there is a miniature golf place with go karts called the "Carlisle Sports Emporium" too for a few suggestions. Best of luck with what you choose to do.

If anyone has an extra swap meet space or a car corral space that you don't need, please let me know. Thank you.

I have resigned myself to the reality that, after making it five times in a row, I will not be at Carlisle this July. I had hoped to go (many thanks to @Boydsdodge @Ripinator @73Coupe and @Samplingman for trying their best to make it happen, if even for just a day), but work comes first -- and every hour will matter for a project deadline that I have in mid-July. You guys have fun, see you next year!

Disappointed...Says the guy that goes to far too many shows and wonders why he is broke.
Cheers, see on the road, next time.

Back