Carter AVS Setup & tuning book/guide?

Parts arrived for the carburetor, this insulator & AT rod extension kit to rig up to the carburetor throttle linkage.

20220904_131250.jpg

Insulator does seem like hard rubber of composition, i do hope it seals better than the fiber composition Fel-pro insulator.

I'll see if I can rig up the AT cable extension to work as a linkage connector without modifying/drilling holes to make it work.

Last edited:
Currently raining cats & dogs, cutting the task of the throttle linkage adjustment short for another day.
Going to wait til tomorrow, rain is supposed to stop then.

Last edited:
Adjusted the throttle linkage to as close as I can to make the throttle work.

Puted the car around the block
(mostly in 1st gear on the pushbutton selector)

Then switched to the drive selection.

but the shift is delayed, trans shifted into second but I didn't allow the trans to shift further in higher gears as I didn't want to potentially burn the trans out. Will adjust throttle linkage throw.

but the shift is delayed, trans shifted into second but I didn't allow the trans to shift further in higher gears as I didn't want to potentially burn the trans out. Will adjust throttle linkage throw.
R U GOING FROM A 2 BARREL TO A 4 BARREL? THEN EVERYTYHONG WILL BE ABOUT 2-3" SHORT U MAY HAVE TO GET THE RIGHT LINCAGE TO MAKE IT WORK I HAD RGE SAME PROBLEN ON MY 73 POLARA IT CAME WITH A HOLLEY 2 BARREL & I PUT A THERMOQUAD . I HAD TO GET THE RIGHT DONW SHIFT ROD & CHANGE TE INTAKE bracket to make it wotrk . then on my 72 new yorker it had a wore out 4160 holley i put a 750 carter ave the downshift rod was wrong there too for tye carter i had to gt the right downshift rod & chsnge the carberutor linkage . i had a doner carb for the linkage

R U GOING FROM A 2 BARREL TO A 4 BARREL? THEN EVERYTYHONG WILL BE ABOUT 2-3" SHORT U MAY HAVE TO GET THE RIGHT LINCAGE TO MAKE IT WORK I HAD RGE SAME PROBLEN ON MY 73 POLARA IT CAME WITH A HOLLEY 2 BARREL & I PUT A THERMOQUAD . I HAD TO GET THE RIGHT DONW SHIFT ROD & CHANGE TE INTAKE bracket to make it wotrk . then on my 72 new yorker it had a wore out 4160 holley i put a 750 carter ave the downshift rod was wrong there too for tye carter i had to gt the right downshift rod & chsnge the carberutor linkage . i had a doner carb for the linkage

Ok will look around for a linkage to accomodate a 4 barrel.

my freind clay uses the lowjack cable shifters all his cars r push button automatic call 314-954-4815 & c if u can talk to clay . i bet he could tell u what u need to do
all the cars in the pucs r push buttom automatic

clays card (2).jpg

clays cars.jpg

So, I just read around that it IS possible to use a 2 barrel carb linkage on a 4 barrel carb.

Would anyone know of a reliable method to get the linkage adjusted right?

I just gave the throttle rod adjusting a try and the trans shifts way too late. Or doesn't shift into 2nd.

So, I just read around that it IS possible to use a 2 barrel carb linkage on a 4 barrel carb.

Would anyone know of a reliable method to do so?
A 2 Barrel linkage will NOT work on a4 barrel with out alot oc cutting & welding the only thing that may work is the accelerator cable if its too short u will have to ger the right onre from a resteration yard or a swap meet (i goy my downshify rod frpom a swap meet . as for te linkag i had a thermoquad set up i used it & the rod to make my avs work
unlike a chevy with its vacuum shift modulator u can swap a 2 barrel to 4 barrel relatibe easyly . on a mopar its enterley differant

Would anyone know of a reliable method to get the linkage adjusted right?

I just gave the throttle rod adjusting a try and the trans shifts way too late. Or doesn't shift into 2nd.
that cause it too short if u kep driving it like that u will burn the 727 up u need the right length downshift road . now if u pull the rod all the way forward it will up shift fast but i will have no down shift the down shift rod length & the adjustment @ the carb is critical just 1/10th of a inch will cause the up shift yo be early or late . after u get the right rod then tack it to a transmission rebuild shop& let them do the find adjustments

that cause it too short if u kep driving it like that u will burn the 727 up u need the right length downshift road . now if u pull the rod all the way forward it will up shift fast but i will have no down shift the down shift rod length & the adjustment @ the carb is critical just 1/10th of a inch will cause the up shift yo be early or late . after u get the right rod then tack it to a transmission rebuild shop& let them do the find adjustments
well if u do convert it . it will look like a patch job itf y r just going to drive it then it maybe ok but if u plan to show it then do it right . or u will lose points in tye show . now since u r unwilling to call me , here we go if u dont have a copy of the facktory service book ten u can guess yur way through but u really need 1 either a used one from ebay or a swap meet or a new reprint . then get the part number from a dealership (they should be able to look it up on their cd or microfilm . if not get a cd or a factory parts book (the parts books r full of diagrams on how thigs gp together ) then with the part # try parts voice or go to

AMS Obsolete he has thousands of parts​

AMS Obsolete Home Page but u will need a part # . having the right part # will help u @ the parts store too even though they don't hacve a listing fot the part having a mopar part # many times they can find it in ther system

well if u do convert it . it will look like a patch job itf y r just going to drive it then it maybe ok but if u plan to show it then do it right . or u will lose points in tye show . now since u r unwilling to call me , here we go if u dont have a copy of the facktory service book ten u can guess yur way through but u really need 1 either a used one from ebay or a swap meet or a new reprint . then get the part number from a dealership (they should be able to look it up on their cd or microfilm . if not get a cd or a factory parts book (the parts books r full of diagrams on how thigs gp together ) then with the part # try parts voice or go to

AMS Obsolete he has thousands of parts​

AMS Obsolete Home Page but u will need a part # . having the right part # will help u @ the parts store too even though they don't hacve a listing fot the part having a mopar part # many times they can find it in ther system
Yes, i decided to scrounge up some 4 barrel linkages up on Ebay, will see if that works. and reference off of the FSM for adjustment.

The car is not going to any serious shows.

Car already has several parts not correct to the year so winning or getting points from the judges is a pipe dream.
64' car with a 68' manifold & carb.

there r adjustments on the transmission too for the rod too
here is what i have on my car where it will be the same on yur car i don't know its all covered in te factory service book u will not believe how much help the books i told u about

304906230_10159574814902787_2952393714779672169_n (1).jpg

304906230_10159574814902787_2952393714779672169_n.jpg

301912671_10159574815387787_3145475675133312666_n.jpg

Back