CATL 2023: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 16-17, 2023 (Route 66 from Chicago to St Louis)

I see the Rt 66 landmark on the first map, but its further south than Rt 66 Raceway.

You guys choose where to meet. I'll be there.

Sunday Northbound routes

South of Springfield we take I55 for a bit to get going and make some time, then we go into the 1930+ alignment whereas we were on the 1926-1930 alignment on the way down, so it's all new road for us.
Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site to Rt 66 Skyview Drive-In

Then bypassing Springfield, Lincoln, Normal (but stopping for photo at Rivian), into Pontiac for the museums
Rt 66 Skyview Drive-In to Shirley

Then taking what was rt 66 bypasses of a number of towns that we took the thru route on the way south. On some of these we see what will look like the oldest pavement, but it's actually parts of 4 lane rt 66 that have been abandoned and returned to 2 lanes.

Shirley to Braidwood Zoo

T-minus 1 week! I'm not going to mention the forecast so we don't jinx it.
I've fixed a significant oil pump leak and then fixed a low psi issue with the new pump.
I think I've fixed a valve cover leak.
I've gone to silly lengths to fix a turbo drain leak and cannot solve it, going to have to live with that one during the trip.
I've got an exhaust leak that I thought I fixed, but I actually have 2! I fixed one.
Tire psi checked, lugs torqued.
transmission checked, need to check oil and water but it was hot from oil leak testing.
Spare parts (elec fuel pump, msd box, wiring, hoses, oil, trans fluid packed.
Tool box out but not packed yet since I may need some tools yet this week.
Need to pull out the cd's I'll need for the ride.

so did you guys find that 73 polara, a block off the 66 route in Dwight? Car's been sitting there all summer that I know of and was still there as of a week ago today. Got pic of it on my phone (Im on home computer right now)

so did you guys find that 73 polara, a block off the 66 route in Dwight? Car's been sitting there all summer that I know of and was still there as of a week ago today. Got pic of it on my phone (Im on home computer right now)
the trip is next Sat :thumbsup:

Oops somehow I thought it was this one. I guess I gotta go back and re read it. I thought I might be able to go but it's not looking like it

No name nationals is at Jeffers speedway that weekend. Here's the sddy. Lot of mopar people there.
389 Sandywood Rd, Sikeston, MO 63801

IMG_20230902_093008879_HDR.jpg

Here's what I was talking about earlier in thread, it's 1 block east of the old rt66, when on IL rt17 turn south at the NAPA, you'll go right past it, keep going south on that road and it'll dump into rt66 about a mile and 1/2 down
Doesn't appear to have moved all summer

I will drive up to Kankakee Il. on Friday afternoon. Plan to rendezvous at the Gemini Man Saturday morning at 9:00 AM. If these plans have changed call, text or e-mail of any changes. Or respond here. Will carry some tools, parts, (belts, points and condenser, coolant hose clamps) should anyone have problems on the road. Current weather model looks fantastic. See you all there.

Last edited:
That's the plan. I owe Tim a north meeting point yet.
I still have problems with my valve cover gasket, hoping to take tomorrow off to resolve. Worst case I ride with Mark.

3rd gasket seems to be the charm. High dollar one I tried just did not work with a stock cover. Felpro high heat now. Traditionally I've had some trouble getting them to seal but this one looks good. 20 min or so running on stands checking with black light.
Mark's car might be out now and him ride with me.

Back