Change to 4 speed

roelb

Reaction score
My '66 Fury 318 is a 3 speed on the column. I might have the chance of obtaining a 4 speed trans. Is this a difficult conversion to do? Dimensions 3 speed and 4 speed very different.
As my car is in South Africa,I have to be very sure before I buy anything, I am a long way from any help
I appreciate the input from you guys, Thanks !

Call Brewer's or Passon, they can tell you. Pretty sure you can use the bellhousing, you'll need the cross member for a 4 speed, you'll want a floor hump as well.

Call Brewer's or Passon, they can tell you. Pretty sure you can use the bellhousing, you'll need the cross member for a 4 speed, you'll want a floor hump as well.
What he said, plus you will want to take the steering column apart and ground off the nub from the column shifter, putty it over and paint to make it look like an original floor shifter column.

floor hump , 66-69 b body 833 tranny(340 383 use 4.3? input collar hub dia , should be the same as your 3spd ) and driveline with yoke ( 727 auto drvline works) , shifter linkage and all brackets . this would be the setup on the trans for shifter n linkages , and the floor hump that must be worked into the floor .

thumbnail_20161129_213745.jpg

thumbnail_20161119_234844.jpg

thumbnail_20161119_234851.jpg

yes , a 727 auto type driveline is the right length and yoke is right . (727 auto drvline works) from the engine block bell housing mount surface to the end of the tall stock output shaft of the 833 b body four speed is the same length as the 727 total length .

This 4 speed you are thinking of buying, what type of a car did it come out of? If it's out of an "A" body, then it is too short. Get a tail housing length measurement from the seller and tell us.

thats why i said b body , e bodies mount is 70 up different then 69 down b body but the lengths are the same . we're not talking od 4spds , same length , but the input collar support hub is way larger . you'd need the bellhousing from a la in a p/u or van . do not get an a body trans standard 4spd or od type , to short and wrong size output shaft in some cases .

Save yourself a gazillion tons of aggravation AND just buy the correct C-body hump from Resto Rick.. It's a dead-on steel duplicate of the original.

floor hump , 66-69 b body
I beg to differ sir. The B-body hump doesn't even come close to fitting nor does it want to even after spending hours trying to refab it.
I just wish that this myth that a B-body hump works in a C-body would end once and for all.
In all fairness, you can say a canned ham will work with "a little fabricating".

Last edited:
in #4 i talked hump , but not from a b body . as you can see the pics are of a c body hump . the trans can be b body not the hump . use the pics to see the c hump differences to the b body hump , sorry this is the only pics of a b body hump i've got . yes its a 69 rr coupe 383 4spd car noise , lol . it to fix this one that did not stop , lol . thats another story , hope i cleared up the hump issues .

thumbnail_20161119_234844.jpg

thumbnail_20161119_234851.jpg

69 ROAD RUNNER HARD TOP LEFT FRONT.jpg

69 ROAD RUNNER HARD TOP SMASHED GRILL.jpg

Thanks guys for all the reply's
Now if I can open another can of worms:
My plan is build a stroker engine with the help of Roland at Chrysler Power.
I have acquired another poly engine, complete with auto box to do all the work on. I want to keep the original engine on the side intact.
Would it not be easier to change to auto for the project as I already have an auto box.
My choice would be auto, for cruising and as you have mentioned a 4 speed is not an easy fit. I would have no idea what 4 speed it is, there is just a guy here in South Afirca that buys 4 speeds and bring them here to sell.
The auto box and engine is out of a '66 Dodge Monaco.Then I can possibly get an auto steering column or change the hump to fit the auto box?

Again, I appreciate the help from you all:thankyou:

So a B-Body 4 speed, 69 and Back will work for this? The stuff that is "C" Specific are. Pedals, Hump, Z Bar?

Last edited:
OP has not even said what kind of four speed he has access to. Saginaw? Muncie? Borg Warner? 833? What's it out of? Year? Application?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

OP has not even said what kind of four speed he has access to. Saginaw? Muncie? Borg Warner? 833? What's it out of? Year? Application?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
If it's not an A883, he's wasting his time.
If he's of the skill level where he has to ask all the basics, the other trannies are beyond his abilities .

I promised myself I absolutely, positively, would pass on this thread and not get involved.
:BangHead:

Last edited:
Back