Cherry picker?

monaco75

Reaction score
Looking to pull my 360 out of the Monaco. Picking up a cherry picker this week. Anyone pull an engine before? Any precautions?

I'm thinking drop the t bars, and possibly deflate the tires. I'm mostly worried about clearing the header panel/core support. Think I'll be good?

Was gonna use a load leveler, but think the engine will hang too low for it to clear. So just an intake plate to grab it from.

If you have the patience, unbolt the trans first. Either way, you should be fine. Just be very patient and slow.

I'd use the load leveler if you are going to pull the trans too. You'll have enough height. I've pulled a lot of engines and never had a problem.

If you get the car too low, like deflating the tires etc., you won't be able to fit the legs of the cherry picker under the car.

Make sure your legs are out as far as your boom. Sounds like common sense, but it's a rookie mistake that happens. Don't have the boom out so far it overloads, but the farther it's out, the more lift.

More safety stuff... don't get under the engine at any time it's hanging etc. Lower the engine once you get it past the front. Watch the tailshaft on the trans so you don't take out the windshield.

Trans fluid may come out the tailshaft when you tip it up. Drain the fluid or put a yoke in the trans.

If you want to leave the trans in, use a 2 x 4 across the torsion bars and a couple bolts through the bell housing so you don't have to leave a jack under the trans... You can move the car then.

All advice is good so far... use the load leveler... it is so much nicer to be able to change the angle the engine is hanging... even if you unbolt the trans first. An important issue is how flat is your driveway. Your garage isn't going to accommodate the car and the cherry picker with enough clearance. On removal its no big deal to roll down the driveway, but you wont have clearance for the extended cherry picker at the door. I like the picker in front, but that means you have to plan to push the car in to close up the garage when finished.

You may have room to pull from the side. but that can be a real challenge if the front wheels don't pivot on your cherry picker... I use a 3 foot pry bar to muscle my front legs around as needed... hard to do with a car in the way.

Good luck.

Thanks guys!

Trans is already out, and been sold. Currently 2 straps hooked to the back of the engine keeping it in place for the time being. You can see em in red going to the fender support bars.

Yes the car will be pushed half way out into the driveway. Driveway has a slight pitch to it, but as long as I have somebody holding the picker steady think I should be fine.

Really cautious about the header panel as they are pretty rare to find..

Really cautious about the header panel as they are pretty rare to find..

All the more reason to use the load leveler... just keep the chains short and you shouldn't run into clearance issues. I like the legs close to full extension and the arm as short as possible... not too sure how short that will be on a C though.

With the hood off, you should have no problem clearing the header panel. Close, but shouldn't be an issue. Keep the boom out as far as you can, you'll get more height that way. Done it plenty of times.

Without the trans, no problem. Heck I didn't even have to remove the hood from my Imp when I had the engine out!

I agree with all that has been said, being your first time the load leveler is best, carb plate is second. If you use the carb plate you can use a ratchet strap from the water pump to the hook on the cherry picker to control the angle of the engine it may want to tip one way or the other. I myself use chains only but normally only pull the engine by it self and I have been doing it for years. We have made some creative devices for some vans and other hard to get engines though.

A load leveler is so damn handy and makes the job so much easier it's like using a box end wrench instead of a air ratchet

Load leveler? Solid driveway? Garage? Small block? With all of those modern conveniences, piece of cake....440 in the dirt with a truck chain, now that's nerve racking.:wideyed:

image.jpg

I'll bet your neighbors love you LOL

I really wish I had a picture of me and Dad pulling engines using the tree in our front yard and a chain hoist in the early 80s. Pull hood, loosen engine, shove car under tree, hoist engine, push car back.

I really wish I had a picture of me and Dad pulling engines using the tree in our front yard and a chain hoist in the early 80s. Pull hood, loosen engine, shove car under tree, hoist engine, push car back.
Yeah the old swing set wasn't available and the trees are too tall. The neighbors cheered when it finally came out, 'cause they knew it was only a matter of time that the car would be out of the yard too.
:mob:

Looks like I'm picking up a load leveler too then.

Where are you guys attatching it too? Heads, intake? Thinking the top corner bolts on the heads is best. Gonna have to remove the distributor as well.

Don't worry samplingman. I gotta fight a 440 going back in soon. Luckily it won't be fully dressed though lol

I go front head bolt to rear head bolt diagonally and chain not too long

i'd like to use a intake lift bracket on the carb studs but I'm just a scary cat of the studs pulling out even if they won't

I used two spare water pump bolts and over sized washers at opposing corners of the intake manifold. Believe me, you want the carb plate. Just make sure you have a big enough dolly to rest it on.

image.jpg

That where the name shade tree mechanic comes from, I have been lucky to have shops to work in with either a chain fall or cherry picker

Don't overlook the small details. All bolts screwed in far enough through the carb plate. All air hoses, water hose, tools off the ground and out of the way. Chock blocks or 2"x 4" to block the wheels and keep it from rolling down the incline driveway. Make sure you get the engine down back as low as possible as soon as you clear the core support.

Last edited:
That where the name shade tree mechanic comes from, I have been lucky to have shops to work in with either a chain fall or cherry picker

Yep shade tree and rock driveway in front yard and hand tools ... no garage or power tools, cherry picker etc for us unfortunately

We used a ramps for clearance and cinder block and a long 2 x 6 as a fulcrum to pull or install 4 speeds .. 2 man job!

Back