Cherry picker?

Carb plate AND load leveler :)
Yes. That's the way I'm going when I put the beast back together. That way you could bolt up the trans to the motor first, then easily angle the whole thing to get it in place, just need to remove the trans crossmember and lift the car in the front a bit. I started with the fenders and support in place but then quickly realized the whole front had to come off, because the way I was doing it.

Or nail/screw 2 lamb beams across the truss's In your 2 car garage and pic the the car up off of the stubb frame.

And yes lol levelers do make the job a bit nicer. I've got a buddy that's been using a harbor freight leveler for years......cheap too!

If you did as he said the 440 would be left setting on the stub frame on the garage floor :)

you would be raising the car which wouldn't weight that much sits the weight would transfer to the rear end that would still be on the ground ... chock it though

I've thought about that too, do you think it would support the weight of a 440?
At the time I was working construction and had acces to real pressed lamb beams. I stacked 2 3"X12" lambs across 3 of the bottom cords on the engineered truss and cut 2x4s to run from the bottom cord to the roof joist for extra support and I picked up the whole front end of an 84 Buick Regal with a 400 Pontiac in it. It can be done..

Looks like I'm picking up a load leveler too then.

Where are you guys attatching it too? Heads, intake? Thinking the top corner bolts on the heads is best. Gonna have to remove the distributor as well.

Don't worry samplingman. I gotta fight a 440 going back in soon. Luckily it won't be fully dressed though lol

The load leveler has 2 chains that lock into a slot. You will have 4 corners bolted Intake bolts are better(bigger) than carb bolts. When I can I like front accessory bolts and bell housing bolts. No trans, no carb is a good thing for keeping it close to the engine. make sure its as even side to side as you can get it, the leveler will let you adjust front to back clearance and keep you off the header panel. The big block going in is when you are really going to like the leveler... just remember that one you want to leave the bell housing bolts clear.

Skip the cherry picker, get a lift and lift the body up off the stub frame.

Shhhiiitttt! Maybe if I had a shop to do it in. I am OUT of space! I'm hoping like hell this guy on craigslist is genuinely interested in the small block, and comes to pick it up right out of the car next saturday. I've lost spare room privileges with family visiting lmao.

The garage has a finished ceiling, and being I'm renting don't want to go effing anything up. Already might have to paint the floor after overspray, and spilled paint from doing the underside lol

Did ponder about building an A frame type deal out in the driveway, with a lift. But it will be a couple months before the big block is going in, and seems like too much a hassle anyways.

Finished pulling everything off the 360. Even have the mounts loose. Shes ready to come out.

Jesus photobucket is getting worse by the day. Really turning into a **** show on there. lol

The load leveler has 2 chains that lock into a slot. You will have 4 corners bolted Intake bolts are better(bigger) than carb bolts. When I can I like front accessory bolts and bell housing bolts. No trans, no carb is a good thing for keeping it close to the engine. make sure its as even side to side as you can get it, the leveler will let you adjust front to back clearance and keep you off the header panel. The big block going in is when you are really going to like the leveler... just remember that one you want to leave the bell housing bolts clear.

Mounting points for the leveler look easy as pie. Each top corner of the heads have accesory mounting holes there. Gonna pick up some grade 8 bolts to attach the chains too. Might remove the valve covers so they don't get dented up by the chains.

Big block I'm unsure of yet. Havn't got that far lol

I'll bet your neighbors love you LOL

I really wish I had a picture of me and Dad pulling engines using the tree in our front yard and a chain hoist in the early 80s. Pull hood, loosen engine, shove car under tree, hoist engine, push car back.
Me and my dad did very similar back in the day when we junked cars. We would unbolt (almost) everything, pull the car up the hill with a tractor, chain the engine to the tree limb, then let the car roll back down hill. Sorry for the low quality pics. These were taken around '90 or '91
Tree1.jpg
Tree2.jpg

If you haven't bought the cherry picker yet, make sure you get a 2ton and not a smaller size one. The price isn't that much different and the 2ton will have a stronger arm which makes a huge difference when extended out all the way. The smaller / lighter ones may bend the arm when fully extended. I have a cheap 2ton cherry picker from Harbor Freight and have pulled at least a dozen V8+trans with it over the years.

If you haven't bought the cherry picker yet, make sure you get a 2ton and not a smaller size one. The price isn't that much different and the 2ton will have a stronger arm which makes a huge difference when extended out all the way. The smaller / lighter ones may bend the arm when fully extended. I have a cheap 2ton cherry picker from Harbor Freight and have pulled at least a dozen V8+trans with it over the years.

This is my plan exactly. 2 ton picker,and leveler from harbor freight. Glad to hear its up to the job.

My cheap HF engine stand has done great with the massive 440 on it.

This is my plan exactly. 2 ton picker,and leveler from harbor freight. Glad to hear its up to the job.

My cheap HF engine stand has done great with the massive 440 on it.
That's what I have... You also would be welcome to borrow it, but you would have to do the driving to pickup and return. Bought mine to pull the motorhome 440 a decade ago... it gets used from time to time and I let the neighbor borrow it when he works on one of his ol timer buddy's projects. Right now its sitting in storage.

I traded an air cleaner I had for my cherry picker.... It's a really nice one that a friend had. This was 25 years ago or more.

The air cleaner.... well crap... It wasn't worth much at the time. It was a 440 six pack base for a 70 Challenger... The one for a fiberglass hood. I could buy a bunch of cherry pickers with the cash from it now....

That's what I have... You also would be welcome to borrow it, but you would have to do the driving to pickup and return. Bought mine to pull the motorhome 440 a decade ago... it gets used from time to time and I let the neighbor borrow it when he works on one of his ol timer buddy's projects. Right now its sitting in storage.

Thats real nice of you Jeff. I appreciate it! If you were a little closer I might just take you up on that. But I'm gonna grab a picker, and leveler this friday.

I deff do want to make it down your way some day soon. You gonna hit the garlits show this year? Or maybe the Kissimmee mopar show?

I traded an air cleaner I had for my cherry picker.... It's a really nice one that a friend had. This was 25 years ago or more.

The air cleaner.... well crap... It wasn't worth much at the time. It was a 440 six pack base for a 70 Challenger... The one for a fiberglass hood. I could buy a bunch of cherry pickers with the cash from it now....

Ouch! Atleast the picker is still doing its job though ehh?? lol

Yep, I still have the picker! Still works OK, but the hydraulic cylinder is getting a little tired.

I've thought a couple times about replacing it with one that folds up and is easier to store. I don't use it enough to justify the cost though.

Whoa, a lot of stuff. Here I used a large cherry picker and a carb plate on a 390 in a taller truck.

Engine_lift_002.jpg

Engine_lift_003.jpg

Engine_lift_004.jpg

Back