Cigar Lighter Circuit Breakers

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
When I pulled the door panels to work on my window, I found that the cigar lighter was disconnected, since the duct tape (!) used to attach the wire to the lighter had hardened and was no longer holding on to the wire.

Rather than just reconnect it, I pulled off the circuit breaker, figuring there was a reason it had been rigged up in place.

cigar_lighter_circuit_breaker-1.jpgcigar_lighter_circuit_breaker-2.jpg

I didn't see these listed at RockAuto when I bought some other parts recently. What do you guys know about them? Are they available? Should I replace them with something inline, and if so, what amperage?

cigar_lighter_circuit_breaker-1.jpg

cigar_lighter_circuit_breaker-2.jpg

When I pulled the door panels to work on my window, I found that the cigar lighter was disconnected, Rather than just reconnect it, I pulled off the circuit breaker, figuring there was a reason it had been rigged up in place. QUOTE]
Did you test the circuit to see if it was working ...?
I've gotten in the habit of disconnecting all the cigar lighters except the one in the dash/ash receiver. And never leave the lighter element plugged into the receptical. (I use it as a power supply for any chargers needed).

Those old elements tend to get stiff with age and if accidently pushed in, or left unattended when pushed in they can stick. I had one get so hot it caught the dash on fire, not to mention what can happen elsewhere in the elec system. (Wire meltdown, etc.)

If you just have to smoke in your old car then a BIC lighter is cheap insurance.

Sorry, let me clarify: I pulled off the circuit breaker, and left the cigarette lighter unconnected. I wouldn't run an unfused circuit where one was fused originally.

I don't smoke, and certainly not in the car. I just want the electrics to work properly.

Are you sure this is for your cigar lighter? Is this for your 67 Imperial?

Power windows, seats etc. are protected with a circuit breaker, but I believe that you should have a 20 amp fuse. Check in the FSM, it should show that circuit.

If it is for your lighter, you can replace it with a generic circuit breaker that any parts store will have. Is there any reason you think that breaker doesn't work? Generally speaking, they fail and create an open circuit. A simple check with a continuity tester will tell you that.

FWIW, my 53 Chrysler has a 15 amp circuit breaker for the rear lighter, but those earlier cars didn't have fuses in their main electrical system, only circuit breakers. The only fuse is for the radio.

Are you sure this is for your cigar lighter? Is this for your 67 Imperial?

Power windows, seats etc. are protected with a circuit breaker, but I believe that you should have a 20 amp fuse. Check in the FSM, it should show that circuit.

If it is for your lighter, you can replace it with a generic circuit breaker that any parts store will have. Is there any reason you think that breaker doesn't work? Generally speaking, they fail and create an open circuit. A simple check with a continuity tester will tell you that.

FWIW, my 53 Chrysler has a 15 amp circuit breaker for the rear lighter, but those earlier cars didn't have fuses in their main electrical system, only circuit breakers. The only fuse is for the radio.

Yes, totally sure it is for the lighter. I took it off a couple weeks ago.

cigar lighter detail.jpg

That's not to say I did the smart thing and tested it. It just looked old and dried out and not that trustworthy, although to be fair it might be the duct tape that was used on it. I'll put in a fuse if that's the only option, but I was hoping to find a proper circuit breaker for it.

cigar lighter detail.jpg

Interesting... Never saw that before. I wonder if it's Chrysler or aftermarket.

You could replace it with something like this, but I'll bet that one is OK.

10273892_wel_cbr126_pri_detl.jpg

Parts book! Yes!

I forgot that I downloaded one from Moparts.com. The 1967 book says in section "8-20-0 Cigar Lighter" that there is

Door Arm Rest, qty 4 per car, P/N 1887 222

So it looks like it's original, or replaces an original part. Since there have been a number of comments that told me (very nicely) that I'm an idiot and I should have tested them before assuming they don't work, I may test them. Or at least test this one.

Anyone know where to track one down now that there's a part number?

Back